PDA

View Full Version : Sony 'disappointed' by FFXIII for 360 announcement

Shrygue
July 16th, 2008, 22:26
via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/sony-disappointed-by-ffxiii-for-360-announcement/)

SCEA president Jack Tretton has aired his feelings on Square Enix's decision to nix PS3 exclusivity for Final Fantasy XIII. During a roundtable chat this morning, Tretton said that he was disappointed by the decision, but not exactly caught off guard.

"Am I disappointed by it? Yes," Tretton told us, adding: "Am I surprised by it? No." He was quick to stress that the game remains a PS3 exclusive in Japan, but that "seeing as there isn't that big of a [PS3] installed base in [there], I don't know how big of a coup that is for us."

Speaking to the concept of paying third parties for exclusives, Tretton said that Sony has "invested so much money in the [PS3] hardware" that it simply "can't write checks for exclusive software."

Echoing statements made by Sony Worlwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida prior to E3, Tretton said that Sony's is more focused on exclusive titles from its own teams. "You've got to create platform-defining franchises that you own," he said. "It's the only way you're going to guarantee exclusivity going forward."

mcdougall57
July 16th, 2008, 23:36
Sony has "invested so much money in the [PS3] hardware" that it simply "can't write checks for exclusive software."

It's too bad Microsoft can and have.

JKKDARK
July 16th, 2008, 23:38
haha, it was the last big exclusive title the PS3 had :rofl:

mcdougall57
July 16th, 2008, 23:45
haha, it was the last big exclusive title the PS3 had :rofl:

I thought Killzone was meant to be a "big" exclusive aswell?

Accordion
July 16th, 2008, 23:49
fact remains, SCE still has the most robust, diverse, and talented first party developers.

mcdougall57
July 16th, 2008, 23:56
fact remains, SCE still has the most robust, diverse, and talented first party developers.

That may be true but neither have a developer like Shigeru Miyamoto.

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2008, 00:12

The only successful franchise they had is Gran Turismo.

goity
July 17th, 2008, 00:33
The only successful franchise they had is Gran Turismo.

Comes pretty rich from a fanboy whose favourite console is famous for only having Halo, a game which always ends up on PC anyway.
Oh, and games that are released on PC hardly count as exclusive, so that counts pretty much everything else out.

Napalm-Death
July 17th, 2008, 00:56
Comes pretty rich from a fanboy whose favourite console is famous for only having Halo, a game which always ends up on PC anyway.
Oh, and games that are released on PC hardly count as exclusive, so that counts pretty much everything else out.

Yeah, you tell him/her/it!

I'm disappointed by this news as well, but I'll live as long as I don't have to suffer with a watered down version of the game thanks to M$.

DPyro
July 17th, 2008, 01:06
Thanks to MS, FFXIII will probably be delayed another year.

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2008, 01:26
The PlayStation 3 sales will be the same, even if it's delayed.

I'm disappointed by this news as well, but I'll live as long as I don't have to suffer with a watered down version of the game thanks to M$.
Gameplay over graphics.

Accordion
July 17th, 2008, 01:50
gameplay can suffer, who ones what will happen, still yet to see gameplay or even a new trailer

Still find it unbelievable that only Playstation 2 and 3 controllers have all analogue buttons.

Nice to see that Microsoft is also copying Sony's habit of showing games that are years away from launch...

Napalm-Death
July 17th, 2008, 02:09
The PlayStation 3 sales will be the same, even if it's delayed.

Gameplay over graphics.

I'll take both if you don't mind. But nooooo, thanks to your beloved Micro$h!t I'll be dead before I ever get to play the damn game.

dankbeats
July 17th, 2008, 02:58
I haven't played any of them but isn't God of War 3 supposed to be a pretty big exclusive as well?

wolfpack
July 17th, 2008, 04:48
*sighs* great, now the fanboyism is really breaking out...

People, you got to think of it from a marketing perspective. Square is only really doing this to make more money for their famous title. It'll make people from both sides happy (except for the ps3 fanboys because theyre so obsessed about keeping exclusives) just accept the fact that it happened and get over it.

Personally, i could care less which side had the exclusivity. I dont choose sides. I like the best from all 3 worlds :)
Each system has theyre own unique qualities, but none of them is better than the other. We're playing the next-gen and we love it.

jamotto
July 17th, 2008, 06:04
Don't think it is going to hurt the PS3 much. Only thing I wonder is when is the game going to be retitled to "Continued Fantasy" or "Never Ending Fantasy"?

trafony
July 17th, 2008, 06:28
I'm mostly disappointed that the game will probably be a lot weaker now if the 360 can handle it. MGS4 couldn't be on the 360 because it's too big for it, I was hoping FF13 would be the same.

Shadowblind
July 17th, 2008, 07:05

Your a joke if you believe any part of what you just said. You rag on JKKDARK for being a fanboy?

Hypocrite. Sqeenix is making the smart decision from a market standpoint.

Get over your damn paranoia that microsoft is behind every bad thing on earth.

pibs
July 17th, 2008, 07:59
Ill probably end up getting the 360 version if MS releases the 16:10 update

Baboon
July 17th, 2008, 08:27
Well now that this game and the recent 'source' saying that an 360 version of Metal Gear Solid 4 is "inevitable" you can understand why $ony are bricking it. lol

In the same vein you guys can enjoy now (well, sometime in the future?) Bioshock and Mass Effect which were great games formerly exclusive for 360... fingers crossed those two classics get ported properly though unlike many other 360-PS3 titles which have been hit with poor frame rates etc: Fear, Lost Planet, PES 08, Orange Box etc etc.

I guess money talks.

lmtlmt
July 17th, 2008, 09:26
PES 08 sucked on all platforms baboon

Darksaviour69
July 17th, 2008, 10:23
*sighs* great, now the fanboyism is really breaking out...

People, you got to think of it from a marketing perspective. Square is only really doing this to make more money for their famous title. It'll make people from both sides happy (except for the ps3 fanboys because theyre so obsessed about keeping exclusives) just accept the fact that it happened and get over it.

Personally, i could care less which side had the exclusivity. I dont choose sides. I like the best from all 3 worlds :)
Each system has theyre own unique qualities, but none of them is better than the other. We're playing the next-gen and we love it.

The first sensible post in the thead, thank you wolfpack

Bioshock and Mass Effect which were great games formerly exclusive for 360...

Has Mass Effect be official announced for the PS3? i googled and found nothing about it.

Baboon
July 17th, 2008, 10:28
PES 08 sucked on all platforms baboon

lol ...this is true, but at least on the 360 it was semi playable, had far less lag, didnt really have frame rate issues (after it was patched) and the pitch didn't hurt your eyes looking at it like on PS. ;)

Has Mass Effect be official announced for the PS3? i googled and found nothing about it.

Sorry my bad! ...I'm sure I read that somewhere??

Make that one former 360 exclusive game then thats going to ps3 sometime in the future then. lol

Darksaviour69
July 17th, 2008, 10:33
if sony had announced that Mass effect was coming to PS3 in their conference, I would have been like "OH SNAP!"

jamotto
July 17th, 2008, 17:13
Sorry my bad! ...I'm sure I read that somewhere??

Make that one former 360 exclusive game then thats going to ps3 sometime in the future then. lol

It was a prediction made by the analyst Michael Pachter.

Shrygue
July 17th, 2008, 20:40
Me, I don't care about the whole exclusivity thing, as long as it comes out and it's good, that's all it matters.

acn010
July 17th, 2008, 20:54
Me, I don't care about the whole exclusivity thing, as long as it comes out and it's good, that's all it matters.

in case of this game... i dont think it will be the same since now it will be in the xbox360
as far as i can see from trailers it was full CG on game and vids on the ps3 itself... can it handle the 360, i dont think so... i may be wrong... time will tell