PDA

View Full Version : How to Put a PS1/PS2 analog stick on your PSP!

wraggster
October 11th, 2005, 01:16
Psychondrius messaged me this news:

Heres a little guide I found:
http://bear24rw.50webs.com.nyud.net:8090/
This neat guide shows you how to take the analog stick from a PS1 or PS2 to replace your PSP's stick.
With a bigger, softer stick, its MUCH easier to control.

- Psycho

Cool news :)

xuphorz
October 11th, 2005, 01:45
holy shit, this is sweet
attention everyone whom has at least 2 psp's
try this, it kicks ass

pepsolman
October 11th, 2005, 01:56
Its giving a 500 Unknown Host error. So I can't see his tinkering.

urherenow
October 11th, 2005, 02:19
damn... doesn't work. Take off the 8090 and it's a PlanetLab node so whatever was there probably got nuked by the sysadmins :(

pkmusicmaker
October 11th, 2005, 02:49
whats the point of this? if it made sense to put such a big stick on a little machine they would've done it in the first place.

JOE2339
October 11th, 2005, 02:52
nakiiworld makes a great replacement analog stick, and its only like 8 dollars. in addition it brings 3. I have one and it has perfect motion.
http://hypertechcomputer.com/index.html?target=p_1587.html&lang=en-us

xuphorz
October 11th, 2005, 02:58
oh, wragg, correct title, it doesn't work with reg ps1 controllers. the holes too small

Datre32
October 11th, 2005, 03:21
i saw something like this before, as awesome the concept is, it takes away from the ability to stick it into your pocket :p also, its still a sliding stick anyway, not the same as the PS or PS2's, but if you got some of the rubber grips http://image.lik-sang.com/images/90/psp-flexible-handgrip-pad.jpg it'd be perfect :D

Onetonbullet
October 11th, 2005, 03:54
I did this.....It really sucks. It controls worse than the origional(Yes it is possible.)
Sorry, It just sucks.

Cap'n 1time
October 11th, 2005, 04:51
Judging by the apperance I think it would get in the way of the digital pad. Also i think it be very hard to pocket. I think that the stick needs to be a bit bigger and with a rubber grip... but thats too much.

Xarius
October 11th, 2005, 10:00
nakiiworld makes a great replacement analog stick, and its only like 8 dollars. in addition it brings 3. I have one and it has perfect motion.
http://hypertechcomputer.com/index.html?target=p_1587.html&lang=en-us

Good lord! I visited that link and I must say I've never seen so many typos in my life. Totally unprofessional. "Procides better grip and control Hugh advantage for al gamers"

eretsua
October 11th, 2005, 10:44
It controls worse than the origional(Yes it is possible.)

am i the only one who actually likes how the anaoluge nub of the psp controls?

Omoikane
October 11th, 2005, 14:26
hmm maybe a stick that you can push in and out. like some car radios (treble, bass) wonder if thats possible. sony should have done that.

shadowprophet
October 11th, 2005, 15:15
I want to do this.
On the other hand im so careful with my psp about scratches and such.
I cant picture myself doing this.

Not to mention modding that analog nub to a stick would be like a sex change for the psp turning her from a she to a he.

(think about it- -0.o - okay thats enough o.0 )
Nope cant do it captain it just aint natural 0.o

rotflmao:p

Hevyduty
October 11th, 2005, 15:16
In the States, you can get the Naki analog stick 3-pack for $5 at EBGames.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/259205.asp

Haven't tried these suckers yet, but I just ordered a pack. I'm hoping they make Virtua Tennis actually playable.

Personally, I think the analog puck on the PSP is second biggest screw up Sony has made with the system. The first being Sony's inability to release quality original titles for the PSP, or just many game titles at all. As a commercial game system, I think the PSP has to be considered a disaster at this point.

If not for homebrew/emus and this site, I would've ditched the PSP months ago.

jimjamjahaa
October 11th, 2005, 16:09
am i the only one who actually likes how the anaoluge nub of the psp controls?
nope :)

pkmusicmaker
October 11th, 2005, 16:51
hmm maybe a stick that you can push in and out. like some car radios (treble, bass) wonder if thats possible. sony should have done that.

thats a clever idea, i wonder if its impossible or sony just didn't think of it.

cawley1
October 11th, 2005, 19:35
Good lord! I visited that link and I must say I've never seen so many typos in my life. Totally unprofessional. "Procides better grip and control Hugh advantage for al gamers"

You can forgive him as I doubt English is his native tounge and he is not aiming to provide a professional website - ebgames link for the Naki 3 pack on the other hand...

Use a more tradition alanalog stick for maximum game play advantage.

Now that really is shocking!

Cap'n 1time
October 11th, 2005, 19:48
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/259205.jpg

Looks good.. anyone own them? We should do a review on them.

Psychondrius
October 12th, 2005, 07:25
I havent done it yet, but it is confirmed to work with the PS2 analog sticks. Shouldnt this be the same for the PS1 analog sticks as well, though? I looked at the pictures, and the holes match, but you have to remove a small cup surrounding the hole on the PS2 analog so it fits on better. Imma gonna try it when i get my hands on an old broken PS2 controller. The stick on your PSP shouldnt break off THAT easily from what I've heard, but maybe I've been listening to the wrong sources? Now with a bigger stick, the better your chance of it breaking. You should probably get that better case that was featured here in PSP-News if you plan to replace your stick.

- Psycho

Edit: You know what I actually thought that nub was when I got my PSP? I thought it was a microphone!

Hevyduty
October 20th, 2005, 20:47
You know what I actually thought that nub was when I got my PSP? I thought it was a microphone!

Actually, that was my reaction too when I first saw it. :)

Anyway, I just got my Naki World 3-pack from EBGames.com and I tried one out last night with Virtua Tennis. I have to say the difference is huge. I was 10 times better at the game with the new stick. Okay, maybe that's an exaggration, but I was vastly improved. I played about 12 Quick Matches and won them all easily. With the original nub, I'd win some, lose some, but even when I won it was tough as nails.

I now actually think Virtua Tennis is a good game. Before, I considered it borderline unplayable.

Now for the caveats. Even with the new stick, the analog control isn't nearly as good as that of a Dual Shock. The PSP analog mechnism is based on directly sliding left, right, up, down. The Dual Shock analog sticks pivot, like the stick is mounted on a sphere. Hopefully that makes sense. Well, even with the Naki stick, I still find the sliding nature of the PSP analog to be something of a hindrance.

And if you have Logitech Playgear Pocket, you can forget using it with these sticks. Go with the Aero case instead.

The price isn't great either. Seriously, these things can't cost .10 cents each to make, and you get three. So you pay $5 for what seems like .30 cents of plastic. That said, the improvement in gameplay is worth the $5, so try to think of that way.

Anyway, I'm not sure you'll find the improvement as dramatic as I did, but I definitely recommend these sticks to anyone who thinks the standard nub/puck is severely lacking. These Naki sticks are a big improvement IMO.