PDA

View Full Version : About CPS1 emulator

1stvinicius
October 11th, 2005, 05:08
well, I'm new here so ill start with a HI to everyone. ok enough introductions. Now Chui, I have some questions for you: Thanks in advance

1 - Is it possible to make a playable CPS1 emu for the DC as good as your NEO4All? I guess youre the right person to answer this dude... after trying NEO4All i forgot everything done before (only nesterdc could be placed at the same level but it was NES so..).

2 - In SF2 SGA (I know you didnt make it but its from the same guy who made NEOCDDC/SDL, which source code you used to make your neo4all so i supose you know the way he like to program) you cant use all the six buttons. do you know if its a bug or lack of memory in the DC to map all the buttons?

Thats it for now. Thanks for your time

quzar
October 11th, 2005, 18:03
2 - according to chui he did not use the IMR neocd port yet instead ported it from PC. I worked with IMR, the reason you can't use all 6 buttons is because he didn't have it set up to do that. It would be possible to make such a thing work by using C and Z on an arcade pad, but SGAs won't be updated because of the convoluted ways they were made (usually the only reason they had any speed were due to massive underclocking and frameskip).

1stvinicius
October 12th, 2005, 06:23
2 - according to chui he did not use the IMR neocd port yet instead ported it from PC. I worked with IMR, the reason you can't use all 6 buttons is because he didn't have it set up to do that. It would be possible to make such a thing work by using C and Z on an arcade pad, but SGAs won't be updated because of the convoluted ways they were made (usually the only reason they had any speed were due to massive underclocking and frameskip).

Yeah dude i was mistaken... You're the one who used the IMR code. By the way your emu is great too man. I've made a disc here with the 3 best neocd emus - Yours, IMR's 9.3 version and Chui's beta 2 - by using the SBI Inducer and my own theme with SNK characters (proud of it :D). Have you worked with Ian on some other project? I've been burning another disc here with some SGAs and that almost unknown CPS1 emu made by a japanese coder. I dont know if you know it but this emu is kinda ok since CPS is one of the strongest machines that our dremcast could handle. The bad points are slow emulation, no options, no sound at all, no readme file (AHHHHH!), "flucked" GUI and no 2 player. I don't like it but I use it cause its the only one. Someone should build one based on winkawaks or final burn codes.

Tell me one thing man:
Which is harder? To emulate a system that use roms or a CD-based System?

quzar
October 12th, 2005, 07:27
depends entirely on the system. normal rom systems are easy. arcade romset style things are harder. the advantage of CD systems is that you don't need to have ram space to hold the entire game.

i plan on supporting CPS as maybe the fourth system after MVS emulation in neodc is complete. Chui is also supposedly working on MVS emulation, but beyond that i don't know.

1stvinicius
October 12th, 2005, 07:53
that was almost the answer i was expecting. CD systems loads parts of the game, one at a time instead of cartridge systems but why are you planning a MVS emu (that was what you meant, right?)? I know almost nothing about programming (my good point is with graphics/images) but i know that an emu like that would be way too much since we couldnt play the REAL gems like SNK vs. Capcom or samurai 5. Or not? If emulating a CD system is easier why dont you give a try on Saturn or 3DO? ... Or you can start a revolutionary psx emu to beat bleem.

quzar
October 12th, 2005, 08:14
The systems you listed are all much more powerful than the NG. Also, once the emulator is stable and playing MVS games, I have at least 4 methods in mind that would allow it to play games that do not completely fit into the ram.

chui
October 12th, 2005, 13:39
I would like MAME4ALL using FAME and FAZE cores at future. Now, i don't know that systems could emulate.

About Saturn and 3DO are very hard tasks, maybe impossible for Dreamcast.

Squaresoft74
October 12th, 2005, 14:03

Chui did you ever consider giving a try at PC-Engine emulation on Dreamcast ?

chui
October 12th, 2005, 14:59
It's possible a PCE4ALL and SNES4ALL at future too. But now, i want finish UAE4ALL and Fenix port.

1stvinicius
October 12th, 2005, 15:04
The systems you listed are all much more powerful than the NG. Also, once the emulator is stable and playing MVS games, I have at least 4 methods in mind that would allow it to play games that do not completely fit into the ram.

Would that methods be some kind of modification in the rom in order to make it be more a dreamcast game than a neogeo one?

I would like MAME4ALL using FAME and FAZE cores at future. Now, i don't know that systems could emulate.

Well, would it be harder than PSX emulation? My point is: If they are all 32-bit cd systems and we have a bleem running at almost full speed what would be the obstacle for satrun or 3do? I know saturn is one of the most complex systems ever made but it is 32-bit and 3do has lower specs than psx, right? What do you have to say about sega cd?

quzar
October 12th, 2005, 16:05
I wouldn't require any sort of modification to the rom itself. I'll do the work in the emulator.

PSX and saturn emulation tie for ease. If done properly it may be easier for saturn to acheive fullspeed than ps.

1stvinicius
October 12th, 2005, 22:21

About Saturn and 3DO are very hard tasks, maybe impossible for Dreamcast.Whats fame and faze? What you say about sega cd emulation?

chui
October 13th, 2005, 08:43
FAZE will be a assembler written new Z80 core by Fox68k.

Starscream
October 13th, 2005, 15:23
Would be great to see a new mame port with a bunch of mid-to end of the 80s games supported, 68k and z80 were used in many of them back then.
I hope it will be possible to achieve fullspeed in some of the games, e.g. from Taito or Konami.

BlueCrab
October 13th, 2005, 18:15
If done properly it may be easier for saturn to acheive fullspeed than ps.There are a few tricks one could do to acheive faster results with a Saturn emulator. A few of which, I've explored a bit with Yabause-DC, but none of which I have had the patience to completely implement.

1stvinicius
October 14th, 2005, 18:00
There are a few tricks one could do to acheive faster results with a Saturn emulator. A few of which, I've explored a bit with Yabause-DC, but none of which I have had the patience to completely implement.
Is your emu playing comercial games already?

1stvinicius
October 18th, 2005, 15:56
Ok, back to the topic. Is a good Cps1 emulator possible?

Christuserloeser
October 21st, 2005, 21:42
Yes, it's possible.

But now, i want finish UAE4ALL and Fenix port.

BlueCrab's Yabause-DC isn't playing commercial games yet. Like all projects it'll take time.