PDA

View Full Version : Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

wraggster
October 11th, 2005, 07:29
ChaosKnight (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3741) has released the worlds first Apple Macintosh emulator for the PSP, the port itself is of the Macintosh emulator Basilisk II, heres the info

What Works

Emulation
Video (wrong colors, slow)
Input (start = return, mouse = analog + X = click)

What Doesn't

Ethernet
Audio
Keyboard
External Filesystem (ability to use flash0:, mc0:, etc...)
Serial (no irda0: support yet)

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/screen20basillisk.gif

Download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/basilisk.shtml

Valiant
October 11th, 2005, 08:24
I personally dont like Macs...but seriously Good job :) . Makes me optimistic regarding what else could be emulated.

ShinSean
October 11th, 2005, 08:45
(mac.rom img not included) ^^ I get a blue screen? :(

pakkman781
October 11th, 2005, 09:05
Finally! eMac on my desk, and PSP Mac in my pocket

Now if only I had a mac.rom file...

pakkman781
October 11th, 2005, 09:43
Ok, for those who want a rom:

No linking to Roms thanks- admin

just rename the unzipped file "mac.rom" and put it in with the emulator.

DISCLAIMER: I own an old Mac, a Performa 6320/CD to be exact, so it's legal for me. Just had to throw that in there :) But it's pretty much abandonware anyway :P

ShinSean
October 11th, 2005, 11:26
thanks pakkman781!! your the best!! :)

dude! this is FLIPPIN' SWEET! very stable! better than bochs'!!

Amiga
October 11th, 2005, 11:29
Do HFV virtual hard drive files work with this??
just copied over from my pc version of balistix but couldnt boot from it :(

Maybe its MacOs 8 it cant boot :(

PSPCRACKER
October 11th, 2005, 12:10
is this the proper mac operating system like the windows 95 on psp
ps wud sum1 please please send me a img on the windows 95 operating system be very great for this emial: [email protected]
gmail = [email protected]

Farcicalname
October 11th, 2005, 12:55
it is working very good on my psp, but how can i use some programs?

i suppose i ahve to create in some way a virtual Hd or some disks images...but i have no idea how anyone can help?

Fetty
October 11th, 2005, 13:20
http://www.the-underdogs.org/tools/hfvexplorer.zip you can use that to create drives but more simply there is 937kb of free space on the system disk and that may be enough to install what you want...

Farcicalname
October 11th, 2005, 13:42
thank u, where have i to install in teh filestistme exactely? i placed on the desktop but didn't work:)

watoto
October 11th, 2005, 14:49
ok,so what possiblilities does this emu offer exactly?what mac apps can you use withit?games?music apps(when they implement audio of course)

PSPCRACKER
October 11th, 2005, 15:18
where do i get roms?

Tomppa
October 11th, 2005, 16:11
Please, do read the whole topic before posting. Now can I put normal .dsk files in to the directory? Do they have to be somehow Mac-formatted? And does anyone know a good site for games for.. this.. thing..

pkmusicmaker
October 11th, 2005, 17:01
Anyone else notice the extreme slow speed of the pointer?

kennyk
October 11th, 2005, 17:05
http://macintroid.tripod.com/macintroid/id6.html
I found some proggies, but they need to be extracted with the stuffit expander.

lockethevaliant
October 11th, 2005, 18:00
I personally dont like Macs...

no one asked for your opinion.

elroy
October 11th, 2005, 18:10
Yeah - the pointer is pretty slow, but given that this is the first release it's awesome.

I know most of you guys would prefer a windows derivative, but OS 7 (or even better, 8) is a great OS for something like this. Not so much for gaming, but we have plenty of other options there.. however, this will be great once there's some onscreen keyboard action and network support. Hell, it'll even run an early version of Netscape or Internet Explorer, not to mention email clients, word processors and the likes of ICQ.

At this point it wont run OS 8, but that's because of the preferences that the developer has set, I can install OS 8 under Basilisk on my PC (Mac actually), but when I put the drive on the memory stick PSP Basilisk wont load it... which is really disappointing, hopefully that will be sorted with a later release though.

Here's a guide for getting Basilisk running on your (windows) PC. It even has links to the free version of OS 7.5.3 and the 7.5.5 update that apple gave away.

http://www.oldos.org/howtos/mac68kemu.php

Anyway, I really hope the development of this goes further, not because I'm a Mac user, but because this is a nice snappy emulation of a fully developed operating system - we don't need another emulator for games, but we do need access to stuff like email and a reasonable browser.

You'll see what I'm getting at when you install your own version of 7.5.5 (if you have a large memory stick set the drive to 200 meg) - also go to the control panel and use the Extensions Manager to disable all the extensions and control panels (except for Desktop Patterens and Mouse - probably others, but at this point they are the only two that I have running).

~ elroy
http://www.pspmine.com

Amiga
October 11th, 2005, 18:10
ive got ballistix for the pc with mac os 8.1 with tons of games on it,so how do i getting it working the psp version??

elroy
October 11th, 2005, 18:20
You're going to have to drop back to 7.5.5 (or 7.6.1 if you can find it - it's not free though) and move your games across to that disk image. Then name the image SYSTEM.DSK rename your mac rom to (oddly enough) mac.rom and drop them both into the BasiliskIIPSP folder on your PSP - that should pretty much have you up and going, although there's still a matter of sorting out which extensions are causing the crash at start up.. it's probably only one or two, but it's a matter of finding which ones.

~ elroy

Farcicalname
October 11th, 2005, 18:52
great links...
btw i managed to make the emu work fine on the psp...but i have no idea how to launch application i mean:

i edited the disk image added an already extracted in windows (using stuffit) software ..now when i launch the emu on the psp i can see the folder with my pstft inside but i have no idea of what to do ...

is it right to extract the soft ( lit extension) in windows with stuff it and then place in the disk image the folder ?

or i have to place in the disk image the lit file and do somethign morE?

i just want to run a couple of painting soft...can't wait:)

one last thing i tried to change the diskimage size with a 20 mega one but dind't work...suppose for now only the 5 mega one is working...

thank's pfor replies

PSPCRACKER
October 11th, 2005, 18:56
need some help be very greatful for it im tryin to get win 95 to load up through bochs, i go install it on the c.img (useung the setup.exe cmd) but it gos straight to scan disc and can't get past the scan disc bit any ideas?
thankz

Amiga
October 11th, 2005, 19:40
pspcracker ya in the wrong topic m8 :)

ps i never did like bosch too much fiddling for two little speed:)

PSPCRACKER
October 11th, 2005, 19:51
pspcracker ya in the wrong topic m8 :)

ps i never did like bosch too much fiddling for two little speed:)

where shud i be do you know how to get past it or what im doin wrong please help be very greatful 4 it?

ps i gt ldz of gmail accounts invits if any 1 want 1!

wraggster
October 11th, 2005, 21:20
Had to take down the Bios Link the thread, what you do in private isnt my concern but the forums can be seen publically so we must at all time have no illegal rom files.

ChaosKnight
October 11th, 2005, 21:24
At this point it wont run OS 8, but that's because of the preferences that the developer has set, I can install OS 8 under Basilisk on my PC (Mac actually), but when I put the drive on the memory stick PSP Basilisk wont load it... which is really disappointing, hopefully that will be sorted with a later release though.
I don't have a copy of OS8 to debug what's causing it to not run. Can you send me your disk image? Please try to trim it down so that it can fit on a 32MB memory stick (20MB max). PM me on forums.ps2dev.org for with details.

Thanks.

Mourningstar
October 11th, 2005, 22:11
So what do I need to make this run....I dont understand...?

If its against the rules just tell me what I need without posting links....

pakkman781
October 11th, 2005, 22:25
Had to take down the Bios Link the thread, what you do in private isnt my concern but the forums can be seen publically so we must at all time have no illegal rom files.

Sorry man. Don't want to get you in trouble. I know you keep your site clean, and I respect that.

Mourningstar
October 11th, 2005, 22:40
Ok, I think I know what to download...the old 7.5 OS...but is there a place that has it as one file download insted of a bunch of individual one? Im on dialup and it s aggravating to download big files a piece at a time...also how much room does this take on a memory stick...?

wraggster
October 11th, 2005, 22:41
no worrys :)

pakkman781
October 11th, 2005, 22:53
Ok, I think I know what to download...the old 7.5 OS...but is there a place that has it as one file download insted of a bunch of individual one? Im on dialup and it s aggravating to download big files a piece at a time...also how much room does this take on a memory stick...?
Erm, the image is included with the emulator download...

Mourningstar
October 12th, 2005, 00:47
Well what do I do to get it to work? Every time i try it says, "ERROR: Cannot open ROM file."

Valiant
October 12th, 2005, 01:00
no one asked for your opinion.

and no one asked for you to make such a superfluous remark which has no construction whatsoever to this post. Anyway I am trying this out and appears rather complex. Hope the sound works in the next release :D

pakkman781
October 12th, 2005, 01:09
Well, you'll need an actual old Mac rom for that. However, since the legality of using such roms is questionable, you might have a hard time finding one. I posted a link to one, but it was taken down.

On another issue: Does anyone know how to get it to mount a different disk file than the one included?

Valiant
October 12th, 2005, 01:35
Hmm mine works, but it ends up coming with a grey screen with a floppy disk icon in the middle with a question mark. What am I doing wrong?

ChaosKnight
October 12th, 2005, 03:28
On another issue: Does anyone know how to get it to mount a different disk file than the one included?

Get the most recent binary release. All you need to do is put DSK and/or HFV images in the BasiliskIIPSP folder on your memory stick and it will auto-mount all of them.

ChaosKnight
October 12th, 2005, 03:31
Hmm mine works, but it ends up coming with a grey screen with a floppy disk icon in the middle with a question mark. What am I doing wrong?
You need a Mac boot disk. There should be one in the binary emulator release. Everything is setup in such a way so you can extract it to your memory stick, then put a mac.rom in the right place (as you obviously have) and it will work.

elroy
October 12th, 2005, 05:04
For those looking for a on screen keyboard solution, there's *kind of* one built into the OS anyway. If you do your own install of OS 7.5.5 you'll see an app called 'Key Caps' in the Apple Menu (top left of the screen) - here's a photo of it:

http://www.pspmine.com/images_ext/pspos7_keyboard.jpg

It's a little clumsy, you've got to copy the text out of it, but considering that it's there already, and there are no other options at the moment, it's handy.

~ elroy

Valiant
October 12th, 2005, 07:35
AH thank you Chaos knight, that helped ^^. Blah though I am having problems now installing 7.5 OS, such a noob T-T

pkmusicmaker
October 12th, 2005, 07:49
and no one asked for you to make such a superfluous remark which has no construction whatsoever to this post. Anyway I am trying this out and appears rather complex. Hope the sound works in the next release :D

yeah? and no one asked you for a response! yeah im kidding. i was actually thinking the same thing when i read that post. isn't the point of a forum to share oppinions and ideas? i don't get some people.

Farcicalname
October 12th, 2005, 09:21
ok the new version is working on my psp...but:

-i tried place a 50 mega HFV and didn't find it(than i made a 50 mega SDK and is working fine)

-i still dunno what to do once i am in the sistem...i have some application but i have no idea where to place them to make them run...

to make it clear i extracted the applications in windows using stuffit than copied to the virtual disk for the EMU use...

someone can explain me or give me links on how to load and use applications under this OS?

thank u

pakkman781
October 14th, 2005, 04:03
ok the new version is working on my psp...but:

-i tried place a 50 mega HFV and didn't find it(than i made a 50 mega SDK and is working fine)

-i still dunno what to do once i am in the sistem...i have some application but i have no idea where to place them to make them run...

to make it clear i extracted the applications in windows using stuffit than copied to the virtual disk for the EMU use...

someone can explain me or give me links on how to load and use applications under this OS?

thank u
To launch any application, just double click on its icon. It's that simple.

What I'm having a problem with is getting images to mount, none of them work! Of course, I have little way of making these images, because I'm on a real Mac, albeit newer, and no one has made a DSK and HFV creator for us! I think I might have found a workaround however, and I'll post back my results.

But what do I do to get images to mount?!?

Farcicalname
October 14th, 2005, 08:18
To launch any application, just double click on its icon. It's that simple.

the prob is that i tried every way but no one app seems to be executable...always poping up a message: "u don't have the application to open the file"...

btw is easier if i try on the emu on pc and than import the disk to the psp:)

pakkman781
October 14th, 2005, 20:50
the prob is that i tried every way but no one app seems to be executable...always poping up a message: "u don't have the application to open the file"...

btw is easier if i try on the emu on pc and than import the disk to the psp:)
Then obviously you are trying to open file, not an application. I've managed to put a couple small games on the included disk image, and they run just fine.

Well, the problem is, I can't. I'm on a real Mac. There is a port of Basilisk II for the Mac, but it doesn't create disk image files. Since you can make disk images, would you send me a 20Mb bootable disk image? I just need basically the same image included with the emulator, just with 20Mb space.If you can, tell me, and I'll PM you my email. I've already asked ChaosKnight if he'd do it, but no reply yet...

If anyone could do me this favor, it would be much appreciated.

ShinSean
October 14th, 2005, 21:06
pakkman781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farcicalname

btw is easier if i try on the emu on pc and than import the disk to the psp

Then obviously you are trying to open file, not an application. I've managed to put a couple small games on the included disk image, and they run just fine.

Well, the problem is, I can't. I'm on a real Mac. There is a port of Basilisk II for the Mac, but it doesn't create disk image files. Since you can make disk images, would you send me a 20Mb bootable disk image? I just need basically the same image included with the emulator, just with 20Mb space.If you can, tell me, and I'll PM you my email. I've already asked ChaosKnight if he'd do it, but no reply yet...

don't you have even a cheap PC? ^^ you could transfer files from that instead

jacobp
October 16th, 2005, 03:24
What's the possiblity of integrating a usb mode into the emulator? It'd make running apps much easier.

Also, I am unable to install diskcopy because the installer window that appears has its buttons outside the viewable region of the screen. This means the buttons cannot be clicked. Why can't you simply hit start you ask? I don't know, perhaps the button is not selected. So I had the bright idea of using the L button to tab over to the agree button floating out there in the twilight zone, but whenever I hit L, the window closes. Any ideas?

Brainstorm: Would it be possible to scroll the screen when a large window appears?

Also, when installing macos 8 i get to the point of updating apple hard disk drivers and the installer hangs.

jeriami
November 16th, 2005, 20:16
i know you cant post the source rom here but can someone supposebly send it to me @ [email protected] thanks lots and also send me ure aim screen name cause i need some psp friends :-/

pokothehobo
January 16th, 2006, 02:32
ok for everyone having trouble i will tell how i got it to work...

ok search google for a mac rom (im aloud to say that right?)

download hfv explorer from here http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

that is also where you can find apps/games

to put downloaded apps games unto yer psp open the system.dsk with hfv exploer (or make your own .dsk) and drag the compressed .sit files unto the disk image

ok here is what tripped me up the most.

you need to install stuffit expander which is tricky to install. after asking around a forum i found out that it needs to be off of its own disk image or something.

you can download it from here

http://www.the-underdogs.org/tools/macstart.zip

just move the unziped .dsk image unto the psp and install stuffit

then open the .sit files from other .dsk images with stuffit

im not very good at explainign things but i hope this helped some of you....

also do any of you know if it is possible to change the resolution of the screen so that it is a normal width....when i play oregon trail the top and bottom of the screen gets cut off haha...

goldenchild
January 17th, 2006, 21:17
How you doing I was just curious on how you got the emulator to load properly. I'm also not to clear on which file you want me to change the name to "mac.rom" & finally put the new file in that same folder you mean let me know what I'm doing wrong
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=60862#

Thank you

DISCLAIMER: I own an old Mac, a Performa 6320/CD to be exact, so it's legal for me. Just had to throw that in there :) But it's pretty much abandonware anyway :P
:confused: :confused:

goldenchild
January 17th, 2006, 21:23

How you doing I was just curious on how you got the emulator to load properly. I'm also not to clear on which file you want me to change the name to "mac.rom" & finally put the new file in that same folder you mean let me know what I'm doing wrong
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=60862#

Thank you

pokothehobo
January 17th, 2006, 22:57

the mac.rom file is not included with the program due to legal reasons so...

search on google for "old mac roms" or something like that. once you find a link to the rom you need to rename it mac.rom then copy that file onto the psp/game/BasiliskIIPSP folder on your psp.

crossfadeking
March 17th, 2006, 13:25
any chance of getting this working on 2.6???

please

chaos-is-me
March 30th, 2006, 01:59
Yeah, I was wondering if this would work on 2.6

I have tried it out and get it loading but then it just turns my PSP off. Ah well I shall keep trying.

vertigociel
April 19th, 2006, 23:41

Download the "Disc Copy" program off of http://www.pure-mac.com/compen.html to manipulate .dsk files on a mac - but only if you have classic installed on OS X. Otherwise, sorry.

PopPooB
June 8th, 2006, 00:38
Can someone post some system.dsk and mac.rom because i dont have any idea were to get them or any other kind

Eingang
June 16th, 2006, 00:20
hmmm system loads up fine, cursor can be moved, but after anything is ready cursor can not be moved anymore

what is the problem ????

PS: with 333mhz the color version loads up nearly as fast as the messed color version on 222Mhz....

alesek
September 2nd, 2006, 10:36
please send me any working mac.rom
[email protected]

mike03$$$
November 25th, 2006, 23:56
please anybody donot waste your time no keyboard support (i am very greatful for this but someone just need to add a virtual keyboard to it.)

Cloudhunter
November 26th, 2006, 00:20
And the point of bumping up an old topic just to say that was...?

Cloudy

jfarre20
December 21st, 2006, 04:39
Yeah, I was wondering if this would work on 2.6

I have tried it out and get it loading but then it just turns my PSP off. Ah well I shall keep trying.

I have fw 2.8 and it works, using the 2.8 eloader tiff exploit. It is very unstable with 2.8 so expect crashes with moving windows, control panel icons, etc!

Is there any new news of this project. it seems dead

Ramza042
December 21st, 2006, 04:59
And the point of bumping up an old topic just to say that was...?

Cloudy

They often say that history repeats itself. I wonder where they got that idea......

This thing was started back in 05, so I would say yep, it's dead. :thumbup:

tael
March 7th, 2007, 00:18
Just looking through, and this emulator seems to have quite a lot of potential. I really would love someone to get this up and running fully because it would be awesome. I'm also having a brainfart here, I wanna get this going but I cannot get it to work just becuase of the mac.rom file, but I know that there are legal releases of the mac.rom, I just don't know where. Let's bring up the dead and revive this project.

pkmaximum
March 7th, 2007, 05:13
I agree the project does have a lot of potential, but this project is extremely old and the I doubt the coder behind this project has any more intent of working on it, just like went hey got windows 95 up and running on the PSP.

And sry don't know how to help you on the mac.rom

Stathis619
December 26th, 2007, 20:24
Hey I have a PSP Slim 3.71M33-4 it doesn't work on it right?, or I made a mistake transforming the files?

JLF65
December 30th, 2007, 12:59
Hey I have a PSP Slim 3.71M33-4 it doesn't work on it right?, or I made a mistake transforming the files?

It's written for 1.50-based cfw, so if it stands a chance of working on the slim, you have to at last run it via eLoader.