PDA

View Full Version : Sega: The iPhone is as Powerful as the Dreamcast!

Darksaviour69
July 17th, 2008, 15:00
Speaking with SEGA of America president Simon Jeffery earlier today he noted that the iPhone is about as powerful as the publisher's console the Dreamcast. Jeffery said the company is delighted with how their iPhone version of Super Monkey Ball has been received by the phones many owners and detailed how the developer plans to take advantage of what he calls an upcoming and potentially major new platform for gaming.

via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5026060/sega-the-iphone-is-as-powerful-as-the-dreamcast)

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2008, 15:07
I don't agree. They don't have anything to do with each other.

goity
July 17th, 2008, 16:01
Perhaps in simple MHz, but I highly doubt that it's even close overall.

Dr Eggman
July 17th, 2008, 16:49
I don't think a mobile phone, no matter the power, can match a gaming console. However, yes, the iPhone has good development opportunities, it could never be a devoted game console.

Anyway, doesn't the iPhone and Dreamcast have different architectures?

Cast128dreams
July 18th, 2008, 07:27
So if it is as powerfull as the Dreamcast it would be more powerfull than the Naomi borads.

JKKDARK
July 18th, 2008, 17:06
Naomi is a little better than the Dreamcast.

Dreamcast:
CPU: Hitachi SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
Graphic Engine: PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC)
Sound Engine: ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
Main Memory: 16 MByte
Graphic Memory: 8 MByte
Sound Memory: 2 MByte
Media: GD-ROM
Simultaneous Number of Colors: Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Polygons: 2.5 Million polys/sec
Rendering Speed: 500 M pixel/sec
Additional Features: Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

Naomi:
CPU: Hitachi SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
Graphic Engine: PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC)
Sound Engine: ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
Main Memory: 32 MByte
Graphic Memory: 16 MByte
Sound Memory: 8 MByte
Media: ROM Board (maximum size of 172MBytes) / GD-ROM
Simultaneous Number of Colors: Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Polygons: 2.5 Million polys/sec
Rendering Speed: 500 M pixel/sec
Additional Features: Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.
Known games on Naomi hardware: 56+

Exophase
July 20th, 2008, 00:35
Not hard to see why this conclusion was drawn, for integer performance iPhone's CPU should be a little better and the GPU is pretty much a newer revision of Dreamcast's.

What's missing is the FPU power and especially the geometry transformation capabilities, not sure where Sega thinks this is compensated for.

slik da relic
July 20th, 2008, 01:05
I don't think a mobile phone, no matter the power, can match a gaming console. However, yes, the iPhone has good development opportunities, it could never be a devoted game console.

Anyway, doesn't the iPhone and Dreamcast have different architectures?ummm... the atari 2600 is a gaming console... ok, so was the N64 and PS1... and the DC came out in 99... its 2008... i cant see why this cant be true.

da relic

Cast128dreams
July 21st, 2008, 10:15
ummm... the atari 2600 is a gaming console... ok, so was the N64 and PS1... and the DC came out in 99... its 2008... i cant see why this cant be true.

da relic

Yes you are right.But the mobile phone are not built to run 3D demanding applications.The Dreamcast proccesor has total differnet architecture that the i phone proccesor.I mean a console its built to run 3d applications ONLY.i doubt if the ihone has to power to run SHEN MUE 2.

bah
July 21st, 2008, 12:17
It's always nice to have some informed commentary Exophase. :)

reliantkcar
July 22nd, 2008, 22:03
I believe the dreamcast is slightly more powerfull in the graphics and cpu but the Iphone has more ram.

But the sad thing is that Sega will make games for a overhyped phone and not their own game console.Kinda stabs loyal sega fans in the back when NBA2K3 came out on PS2 Xbox and gamecube but not their own console. and now they are makin cell phone games. .........

they should have respected their customers and kept makin dreamcast users games and not just thier competitors....................................... ...

Cast128dreams
July 23rd, 2008, 00:18
thats sad as you said.The sadest thing is that in times developers such as sega they make games for Naomi arcade systems.These new Naomi games never still dont have plans for the Dreamcast.(DAMN SAD).No they dont respect their costumerst but they prefer to respect the mooney and the zeros at their acounts.Not just Sega a lot of companies prefer to develop a game at a lower spec console than their owns which might be more powerfull.Truth pains...Mooney never.

psykotine
July 23rd, 2008, 17:02
[Mode lol ON] Super Monkey Ball was never realese on DC, and the DC hasn't a LCD Screen and isn't a cellular phone [Mode lol Off]

:rofl:

the difference of price between I-Phone and Dreamcast it's high kick in you're face for playing with super monkey ball thanks SEGA:p

Cast128dreams
July 23rd, 2008, 20:31
[Mode lol ON] Super Monkey Ball was never realese on DC, and the DC hasn't a LCD Screen and isn't a cellular phone [Mode lol Off

The Dreamcast market lives only in japan.The rest Dreamcast markets lives only here in the net.Since chaos field(which was suported by Sega offifcially) there is no other game suported by sega even in last two years.Seems that sega dont want to do buisness with the Dreamcast anymore even if is more powerfull than many handhelds in the market.For me Dreamcast as portable would be very competitive.

New Sega game for NDS=Worlwide sales.
New Sega game for DC=Net,and japan sales.(some thoushands)