PDA

View Full Version : GeeXboX 20080717: 0.1alpha0. - Media Player for Nintendo Wii

wraggster
July 17th, 2008, 19:22
Farter (http://www.geexbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9897) has released a new version of the Media player for the Nintendo Wii:

Heres whats new/details:

GeeXboX is a media player software. It can play videos, play music (with visualization) and display photo slideshows.

Major new features: bluetooth (remote control, obex file push, networking and audio partially working), USB storage, USB ethernet, http/telnet/ftp server, netstreaming, image viewer, goom visuals for audio playback, .... Most of the new features are fully or partially tested, some are not, yet.

Homebrew channel users just need to copy everything into the root directory of your SD card and select GeeXboX in the channel.

TP hack users have to copy or move apps/geexbox/boot.elf to the root directory of your SD card and start the hack.

Other homebrew loaders that support front SD might also work. Consult their documentation for how.

Regardless of the loader, the GEEXBOX file tree MUST reside in the root directory of SD card.

20080717: 0.1alpha0. Feature addition release.

Based on whiite-linux-0.1a, which has USB host controller enabled.
USB and network related functions of GeeXboX are therefore included in this release.
Keypressing and OSD color bug in previous version fixed

Download Here (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/geexbox-wii-0[1].1alpha0.zip) and Give Feedback Via Comments

11azrael
July 17th, 2008, 19:47
Great app plays very good in PAL WII RGB Cables
But I have A Problem I can't set up subtitles to show in Greek lang
I made the changes but nothing happen only to get a closed app.

Please someone make a tutorial how to add lang in subs

iofthestorm
July 17th, 2008, 20:51
Wow nice, USB support in homebrew. Hopefully we'll see more USB support in homebrew as time goes on, and maybe eventually DVD support (now that custom firmwares are adding features to IOS).

davidw89
July 18th, 2008, 10:18
Plays well..same as MplayerWii....any idea on how to stream from network (iam connected via usb ethernet)

Crogger
July 18th, 2008, 10:45
any idea on how to stream from network (iam connected via usb ethernet)
You have to manually edit the /etc/network file in the Geexbox folder. Wiibrew.org says:

"It is probably better to edit files on harddisk and then copy them to SD card, as opposed to editing files on SD card directly. Windows users are also advised to use *nix-compatible editors such as UltraEdit, rather than Notepad or Wordpad. Please remember that corrupt or incorrectly modified file may cause boot failure!"

This section of the Geexbox docs should help:
http://www.geexbox.org/en/doc.html#network

davidw89
July 18th, 2008, 12:39
Yeah ok i've got the tools to edit the files how exactly do it "edit" it..

SiskoData
July 18th, 2008, 15:37
Hi

Would like to know if this can be used with the Wii's WiFi connection. If yes how do you set it up?

Thank You

sheridan2000
July 18th, 2008, 23:40
got it to run in the end...seems very good for a start....video better than mplayer...smoother......but a little wobbly so not perfect but hey real good....

Crogger
July 19th, 2008, 16:29
Yeah ok i've got the tools to edit the files how exactly do it "edit" it..
I don't have ethernet to test this, but if your router acts as a DHCP server, you *should* just have to edit the network file so it reads as follows:

# System's Network Configuration

PHY_TYPE="auto" # Network physical type (auto|ethernet|wifi)
HOST="" # GeeXboX IP ("" for DHCP)
SUBNET="" # GeeXboX Subnet mask ("" for DHCP)
GATEWAY="" # Gateway IP ("" for DHCP or no internet connection)
DNS_SERVER="" # DNS Server IP ("" for DHCP or none)
DHCP_TIMEOUT="0" # DHCP timeout seconds (set >0 for slow servers)

If not, you will have to manually enter your IP, Gateway and DNS.

If you're using simple shares on your pc, that should do it, if you have set up a username/password on your shares you'll have to edit the bottom two lines of the Geexbox network file.

@ SiskoData, Unfortunately WiFi doesn't work at the moment as it's not yet in Wii Linux.

justinswood
July 21st, 2008, 13:32
Excellent release!

Plays avis from my external hard drive really well. In fact I've have 2Mb/sec avis running smoothly!

Only problem is that I have widescreen tv but the aspect ratio on GeeXbox is set to 4:3 is full screen so 16:9 and others are squashed.

I have tried changing the settings in the MPlayer config to no effect + the menu aspect ratio settings don't work either. Once this is sorted out this may well replace my DVD player (with USB) as my TV movie player.

KristenBaldousor
July 22nd, 2008, 08:54
Man, this is awesome!!!!

The only thing lacking is that you can change the images that are in a folder, instead of going back to the gui, like pressing the right on the pad for the next or the left for the previous, and something similar for mp3, but still, man, this is awesome, more awesome than the PS3

O, also, can you make that when you quit, goes back to the hb channel and not turn off my Wii, i got scared becuz it did that, xDDDDD

davidw89
July 22nd, 2008, 16:14
I don't have ethernet to test this, but if your router acts as a DHCP server, you *should* just have to edit the network file so it reads as follows:

# System's Network Configuration

PHY_TYPE="auto" # Network physical type (auto|ethernet|wifi)
HOST="" # GeeXboX IP ("" for DHCP)
SUBNET="" # GeeXboX Subnet mask ("" for DHCP)

If not, you will have to manually enter your IP, Gateway and DNS.

If you're using simple shares on your pc, that should do it, if you have set up a username/password on your shares you'll have to edit the bottom two lines of the Geexbox network file.

@ SiskoData, Unfortunately WiFi doesn't work at the moment as it's not yet in Wii Linux.

Ok problem is that my computer has no password on the shares file etc

could you confirm the code for me as i have no idea..

PHY_TYPE="auto" #ethernet
HOST="" # GeeXboX IP ("" for DHCP) --> how i find geebox ip
SUBNET="" # GeeXboX Subnet mask ("" for DHCP) ---> mine is 255.255.255.0

--> my gate way is 10.1.1.1
my DNS server is 10.1.1.1

could you write the code and i'll try it out?

Ironcurtain
July 24th, 2008, 11:33
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW AMAZING THIS RELEASE IS!!!

I can't thank you enough. Is this a ported version of milkdrop? because if so I'd LOVE to get some custom presets and start using it.

If not, what visualization program is it, and can you do other presets?

Seriously, I've been waiting for something like this for quite a long time after I got rid of my Xbox. Thank you so much. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Even if it isn't milkdrop, the visualizations are way better than on the 360 or ps3 for sure.

I congratulate you on making this a phenomenal program, I can't wait to see the next releases. Thank you.