PDA

View Full Version : Custom Firmware for Wii Released - IOSv37 Rev 02

wraggster
July 17th, 2008, 19:42
As with any Firmware for any console, they could brick your console, use extreme caution and if in doubt leave well alone.

Waninkoko (http://wii.waninkoko.info/) has released the first Custom Firmware for the Nintendo Wii and also the first emulator to read Writeable DVDs on an unmodified Wii, heres all the details you need to know:

+------------------------------------------+
| [+] Custom IOS Installer (v37 rev 02) |
| developed by Waninkoko |
+------------------------------------------+

[ DISCLAIMER ]:

- THIS APPLICATION COMES WITH NO WARRANTY AT ALL, NEITHER EXPRESS NOR IMPLIED.
I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE IN YOUR WII CONSOLE
BECAUSE OF A IMPROPER USAGE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

[ DESCRIPTION ]:

- This is a Custom IOS, an IOS modified to add some new features
not available in the official IOS.

This IOS has been made to be used ONLY with homebrew software.

The Custom IOS installs as IOS249 and it does not modify any other IOS so it is secure to install.

[ REQUISITES ]:

- "IOS37-64-v2070.wad" original WAD file.

[ HOW TO INSTALL IT ]:

- Copy "IOS37-64-v2070.wad" file to the root of a SD card.
- Insert the SD card on your Wii.
- Run the installer.

CHANGELOG |
+-----------+

[ CIOS37 rev 02 ]:

- Removed copyright code.
- Changed the way the IOS is patched.

[ CIOS37 rev 01 ]:

- DVD_LowUnencryptedRead() limit removed.
- ES hash check disabled (Trucha bug).

He has also released an uninstaller:

Custom IOS Uninstaller v1.0 |
| developed by Waninkoko |
+-------------------------------------+

[ DISCLAIMER ]:

- THIS APPLICATION COMES WITH NO WARRANTY AT ALL, NEITHER EXPRESS NOR IMPLIED.
I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE IN YOUR WII CONSOLE
BECAUSE OF A IMPROPER USAGE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

[ DESCRIPTION ]:

- This application allows you to uninstall any Custom IOS installed
in your Wii console.

[ HOW TO USE ]:

- Run the application with any method to load homebrew.

Waninkoko has also released a Dumper to allow you to dump your DVD to a SD Card.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

dahun
July 17th, 2008, 19:52
so only dvd-r? no +R or RW or cds?

DPyro
July 17th, 2008, 20:37
Waninkoko has released the first Custom Firmware for the Nintendo Wii and also the first emulator to read Writeable DVDs on an unmodified Wii.
What is that suppose to mean?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out it means you can use a DVD to store roms/games etc.

iofthestorm
July 17th, 2008, 21:01
Waninkoko has released the first Custom Firmware for the Nintendo Wii and also the first emulator to read Writeable DVDs on an unmodified Wii.
What is that suppose to mean?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out it means you can use a DVD to store roms/games etc.

Yeah, basically the IOS allows you to do unencrypted reads from DVD but only a small amount, and this firmware lets you read the whole disc.

bumfacekilla
July 17th, 2008, 22:44
I think maybe I am just being stupid, but can anybody explain simply what this will enable my Wii to do?

Also the instructions say:

"Copy "IOS37-64-v2070.wad" file to the root of a SD card."

I can find .dol and .elf files. Should I just take the .elf file, rename to boot.elf and run it with HBC/TP hack? I am most confused but probably just overlooking something simple.

Nintendo Maniac 64
July 18th, 2008, 02:32
So if I'm correct, this enables homebrew to use the disk slot? AKA DVD playback is now possible? Heck even emulating PS1 or Saturn from a game disk?

TVarmy
July 18th, 2008, 02:50
Bushing just said he found a way to run pirated games without a modchip. He's not planning on releasing it publicly, but Nintendo has yet to respond to it. Here's hoping that this doesn't screw up homebrew.

Dbgtgoten
July 18th, 2008, 04:25
Anyone Knows if the installation of this custom firmware works first of all?

2nd was the security issue in the custom firmware or in the original firmware ?

Because how would nintendo be able to patch a custom firmware they can't do nothing when its custom.

Anyways any info on success rates or bricks with this?

AndrewArsonn
July 18th, 2008, 04:44
Bushing just said he found a way to run pirated games without a modchip. He's not planning on releasing it publicly, but Nintendo has yet to respond to it. Here's hoping that this doesn't screw up homebrew.

Dear Bushing, why bother to tell nintendo? The news will obviously get around then they can have a manditory update, it's as simple as that.

shinkuuhazen
July 18th, 2008, 05:01
does this work on a NA wii?

____anders____
July 18th, 2008, 18:32
ooh, i'm too much of a coward to try this one.. sry

and i don't need it as i have a modchip..

signedlongint
July 18th, 2008, 21:44
does this work on a NA wii?
Mine's failing on the final patch (#8), but I've only tried applying from HBC, so I guess I'll give the goold old fashioned Twilight Hack a shot.

Dbgtgoten
July 18th, 2008, 22:42
We still have no clue if this is viable or working at all any feedback anyone...?

AndrewArsonn
July 18th, 2008, 23:48
It works but you have to google the wad file it says you need (in the readme) and put it in the root of your sd card.
Then run the installer.

jack_the_ripper87
July 19th, 2008, 00:09
So what exactly is the purpose of this thing as of right now. Are we expecting to have some bigger emulators and the such running on the wii? Can we expect to be running ps1 games?

Brian117
July 19th, 2008, 01:29
I am just confused as anyone else on this earth about this...

PLEASE someone inform me with 100% correct info on what this does? Does this new installer, install a custom firmware to the Wii which will configure the Wii's DVD drive and bypass the security written on discs?

What do you mean by it can run homebrew? How the heck can we burn homebrew to a disc?

VERY confused here...:mad:

davidw89
July 19th, 2008, 01:49
Could someone please explain!!!!!!!!!

vicious1988
July 19th, 2008, 01:52
All this does is enable homebrew to access DVDs (ie roms contained on a DVD).

Dbgtgoten
July 19th, 2008, 02:10
All this does is enable homebrew to access DVDs (ie roms contained on a DVD).

This statement is wrong , Emulators were already able to load Roms etc from DVDS before this came out.

Besides this is suppose to let you READ from DVDS without certification on the DVD itself because the IOS could read small amounts at a time.

This allows you to read the whole disc basically and basically no one has put it to any use yet but looks good so far at least there won't be any forced upgrading eh?:thumbup:

DimensionT
July 19th, 2008, 03:12
Dear Bushing, why bother to tell nintendo? The news will obviously get around then they can have a manditory update, it's as simple as that.

Because it's better to get rid of such a feature before the masses get their hands on it.

ciper
July 19th, 2008, 09:02

Did you even read the blog entry? It is a strategic maneuver that gives Nintendo the industry accepted amount of time to respond. If they follow the rules of disclosure then he probably won't release the code. On the other hand if they do not respond properly he is legally entitled to release the information without fear of litigation.

Nintendo has 5 business days from July 17th . Read the official document here http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html

I expect that on or before the 28th of this month Bushing will share the full details with the world.

edit: Here is the important part of the document. Maintainer has been replaced with Nintendo, Originator with bushing.

Nintendo is to be given 5 working days (in respects to bushing) from July 17th; should no contact occur by the end of 5 working days, bushing should disclose how to boot copied games. Should Nintendo contact bushing within the 5 working days, it is at the discretion of bushing to delay disclosure past 5 working days. The decision to delay should be passed upon active communication between the bushing and Nintendo.

AndrewArsonn
July 19th, 2008, 15:45
Ah, I see.
And No I didn't read it. :)

Dbgtgoten
July 19th, 2008, 19:11
Did you even read the blog entry? It is a strategic maneuver that gives Nintendo the industry accepted amount of time to respond. If they follow the rules of disclosure then he probably won't release the code. On the other hand if they do not respond properly he is legally entitled to release the information without fear of litigation.

Nintendo has 5 business days from July 17th . Read the official document here http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html

I expect that on or before the 28th of this month Bushing will share the full details with the world.

edit: Here is the important part of the document. Maintainer has been replaced with Nintendo, Originator with bushing.

If you read the model it also says this model is not set in stone either.... anyways apparently theres only 1 person who confirmed it worked does anyone know if its able to work with any wii? NA EU JP?

njdevilfan26
September 15th, 2008, 01:10
where did u get the .wad file. can some one make a video on youtube

vitaskz93
February 6th, 2013, 09:43
спас ибо