PDA

View Full Version : Bushing Update - Dear Nintendo

wraggster
July 17th, 2008, 20:10
Bushing (http://hackmii.com/2008/07/dear-nintendo/#more-63) one of the Wii Scenes greatest hackers posted this on his site:

As part of our efforts to understand how the Wii works, we believe we have found a security issue that could allow pirated Wii games to be
played on an unmodified Wii console.

I would like to speak to an engineer about this — please have one contact me at bushing (at) gmail.com.

Sincerely,
bushing

P.S. Sorry for posting this publicly — I tried emailing you three times and never received a response. I am trying to follow the model set forth in http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html, so your timely response would be appreciated.

Thoughts on this ?

a Hacker trying to stop piracy but hopefully not homebrew gets a massive thumbs up from us :)

kongsnutz
July 17th, 2008, 20:14
I never wrote anything.........................someone is using my account.......................lildeemo??????

Please stop as your views aren't my own.

I think personally bushing is going to release this info if he hasn't already.........it'll be good overall.

acn010
July 17th, 2008, 20:18
^^pirate^^
lol
kongsnutz edited now he's on defense lol

DPyro
July 17th, 2008, 20:35
Ok, let me get this straight...He's trying to contact Nintendo to get this patched?

Cloudhunter
July 17th, 2008, 20:38
Bushing is anti-piracy. He wants the issue patched to stop piracy taking off the way it did with the PSP.

Cloudy

iofthestorm
July 17th, 2008, 20:46
I think this is an excellent move by bushing, because otherwise they'll keep trying to squash homebrew because it can lead to piracy. Now if he's working with them, I hope they'll be less likely to try and ban/brick homebrew'd Wiis.

theotherfreakyguy
July 17th, 2008, 21:02
I'm guessing that this is referring to Waninkoko's Modified IOS that allows one to read files off of a DVD without modification?

I think that this is a great move, really.

KristenBaldousor
July 17th, 2008, 21:02
gotta respect the man, he could bring a heavy revolution to us by releasing a homebrew wich could mostly destroy nintendo, and he wan't to let em know about this.

They should hire him

kongsnutz
July 17th, 2008, 21:40
^^pirate^^
lol
kongsnutz edited now he's on defense lol

yer but i only want trucha fixing because i have jap wii but pal ssbb original thankyou and it wont play anymore since i updated:(

(this isnt really me Kongsnutz)

somebody has my account...........arrgghhhh (changed passwords now)

Cloudhunter
July 17th, 2008, 23:08
I'm guessing that this is referring to Waninkoko's Modified IOS that allows one to read files off of a DVD without modification?

The console still needed modification for that. It just read unencrypted DVD's.

Cloudy

ICE
July 17th, 2008, 23:23
Its great to see a hacker stand up and try to prevent something like piracy on Wii. Great stuff.

gamesquest1
July 18th, 2008, 01:49
well i suppose the best way to help nintendo is not to announce to every hacker who wants to get allot of rep point, by releasing what bushing found out. If nintendo still ignore bushing you might get some nintendo hating hackers from psp scene or somthing releasing loaders or whatever before bushing even gets a response off nintendo, oh well suppose it up to him if he wants to show off what he can do but suppose we all already know he is pretty good at hacking anyway,
but wasnt the xbox 1 hack done this way go to microsoft get ignored............hack gets released anyway oh and same for xbox 360, and im pretty sure psp aswell but maybe nintedo deal with concerned homebrew community better than microsoft or sony, but does anybody know what bushing is expecting of nintendo for him telling them just slack on the homebrew channels users or some form of official homebrew channel but im pretty sure companies dont really negotiate with hackers just try to find out what they found without their help, they never do though. if busing really wants to stop piracy just tell them what he found then maybe nintendo will respect you enough to talk instead of seeing you as some guy coming up to them saying i want to help you stop piracy but give me somthing or i wont help you, that dosnt sound like a concerned hombrewer just a blackmailer

gamesquest1
July 18th, 2008, 02:01
and making the conversations public to put pressure on nintendo makes him seem like even more of a blackmailer

TVarmy
July 18th, 2008, 03:42
gamesquest1: I imagine he did give them some specifics of the hack. The model he is following says to wait 5 business days after publicly announcing the end result of the hack and then release the hack itself publicly, as the company has shown they do not care.

h2923j42n2
July 18th, 2008, 04:27
well i suppose the best way to help nintendo is not to announce to every hacker who wants to get allot of rep point, by releasing what bushing found out. If nintendo still ignore bushing you might get some nintendo hating hackers from psp scene or somthing releasing loaders or whatever before bushing even gets a response off nintendo, oh well suppose it up to him if he wants to show off what he can do but suppose we all already know he is pretty good at hacking anyway,
but wasnt the xbox 1 hack done this way go to microsoft get ignored............hack gets released anyway oh and same for xbox 360, and im pretty sure psp aswell but maybe nintedo deal with concerned homebrew community better than microsoft or sony, but does anybody know what bushing is expecting of nintendo for him telling them just slack on the homebrew channels users or some form of official homebrew channel but im pretty sure companies dont really negotiate with hackers just try to find out what they found without their help, they never do though. if busing really wants to stop piracy just tell them what he found then maybe nintendo will respect you enough to talk instead of seeing you as some guy coming up to them saying i want to help you stop piracy but give me somthing or i wont help you, that dosnt sound like a concerned hombrewer just a blackmailer

and making the conversations public to put pressure on nintendo makes him seem like even more of a blackmailer

If he is expecting anything, it is not known anywhere. Bushing is very much against piracy, so I doubt that he is really expecting anything. He found a potential vulnerability, and simply wants to inform Nintendo about it.

Also, in his blog message, you will see that he contacted Nintendo three times, and never got a response. Apparently, he wanted to keep this private, but eventually felt it needed to be posted on his blog for Nintendo to take it seriously.

AndrewArsonn
July 18th, 2008, 04:35
Ohh, loaders? Excuse my french but, that sounds nice,
yeah I said it. Hate me.
I'm not asking for one
so I'm not breaking any rules. ;)

DvdXploitr
July 18th, 2008, 05:32
I dont support piracy either, but I will admit that I copy my PS2/Xbox games for safe-keeping only....i have a bad happy of touching the disks with my fingers, dropping them on the ground when i take them out, or leaving them on the floor and them getting scratched....so, I make back-ups of games that I legally purchase for those consoles. I was gonna do the same with the Wii and install a Wiikey....I'm horrible with soldering and ended up ruining a Wiikey and melting all the solder points on the Wii DVD-drive, sure you can make new solder points, but if i can't even solder 6 points, i dont think i could make 6 solder points AND solder the chip on...anyway, my point is, it would be nice to be able to copy my Wii games the same way, i've noticed a good bit of scratches on my Wii Sports and i'm afraid its gonna get to where the console wont read it.....my Mario Galaxy is gettin that way too b/c i play it religiously

Man
July 18th, 2008, 07:57
Who would want to pirate wii games anyways. Theres no good ones to pirate. Beleive me i know, iv owned two wiis, and i had one modded, the thing collected dust, not even joking.

But, props to this guy for trying to help nintendo.

werpu
July 18th, 2008, 08:11
Who would want to pirate wii games anyways. Theres no good ones to pirate. Beleive me i know, iv owned two wiis, and i had one modded, the thing collected dust, not even joking.

But, props to this guy for trying to help nintendo.

Well depends on the taste, I have about 15-20 games for the Wii which I would consider worth playing, beginning from Okami, Zack and Wiki and ending with Metroid Prime 3, but there is a severe drought of good games upcoming, from the E3 announcements I only see one or two games remotely worth playing.
But the situation still is better than on the PS3 which has only one game which I am mildly interested in.
The DS has a worse situation endless shovelware but almost no good games since Zelda was released. The situation was awesome before, guess after three years all Nintendo consoles move into the shovelware phase and wake up in year 4 or 5.

AndrewArsonn
July 18th, 2008, 18:13
Ohh my,
I just ran a burned wii
game on my wii,
someone call the cops. =0

____anders____
July 18th, 2008, 18:23
hmm, if nintendo patch the hole...

i hope they won't try to stop Twiizers again:)
maybe this wiil be the ticket to some trust, so they won't patch our homebrew.

ciper
July 19th, 2008, 09:20
I posted this in another thread but thought it belongs here

This is a strategic maneuver that gives Nintendo the industry accepted amount of time to respond. If they follow the rules of disclosure then he probably won't release the code. On the other hand if they do not respond properly he is legally entitled to release the information without fear of litigation. I expect that on or before the 28th of this month Bushing will share the full details with the world.

Nintendo has 5 business days from July 17th . Read the official document here http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/policy.html

Here is the important part of the document. Maintainer has been replaced with Nintendo, Originator with bushing.

Nintendo is to be given 5 working days (in respects to bushing) from July 17th; should no contact occur by the end of 5 working days, bushing should disclose how to boot copied games. Should Nintendo contact bushing within the 5 working days, it is at the discretion of bushing to delay disclosure past 5 working days. The decision to delay should be passed upon active communication between the bushing and Nintendo.

In other words, some of you need to get your panties unbunched with all this pro/anti piracy talk.

____anders____
July 19th, 2008, 18:00
hmm, if it is right what you say, then nintendo is totally screwed if bushing does a release, but i doubt he ever will..

sheridan2000
July 19th, 2008, 19:35
hmm, if it is right what you say, then nintendo is totally screwed if bushing does a release, but i doubt he ever will..

Not sure about totally screwed...lets see they sell more consoles that the others at the mo and if you can then used copy games without hardware mods they will sell even more consoles........piracy will happen no matter what its just how long it takes that is the real question.

I have three xbox's all softmodded yet i still purchased original games.....as some one has already said there are not that many great games on the wii for piracy to really take off.

PMK:Won
July 19th, 2008, 20:17
Not sure about totally screwed...lets see they sell more consoles that the others at the mo and if you can then used copy games without hardware mods they will sell even more consoles........piracy will happen no matter what its just how long it takes that is the real question.

I have three xbox's all softmodded yet i still purchased original games.....as some one has already said there are not that many great games on the wii for piracy to really take off.

Same here I have 3 Wiis. 1 legit, 1 Import, and 1 just for Homebrew.

Drego
July 20th, 2008, 15:20

Well that isn't totally true. Nintendo can get the upper hand and release a patch that will revert what you installed. I give Bushing a lot of credit for going through the correct procedures.
Now as much as I hate to say it, I to would love it to be released, not to pirate, but to save my wii discs. My Wii Sports is almost unreadable (takes a couple times till it will read it), Paper Mario is almost there, and I'm pretty sure Rock Band will get that way in a month or two the way my family plays it. I do not back them up right now, but it would be really nice to not have to use the original disks. I modded my PS2 that way because of my kids. I think I went through 3 FFX's before I finally did it.

Anyway, whatever happens I hope things work out like they should. And yes, Nintendo(USA) should hire him.

Shuichi
July 20th, 2008, 19:46
Lol, people should stop trying to protect or defend themselves with "Oh i'm just gonna Back up and not pirate." First off backing up and playing your back is pirating cause you could just sell the game after you back it up.

And come on we all know you people the second you got the ability would just copy the games and start playing them so stop trying to bull shit everyone. Lol