PDA

View Full Version : E3: GTA DS shuns Take Two conference

Shrygue
July 17th, 2008, 20:57
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193430)

Presenters at Take Two's E3 press conference avoided further discussion of the DS exclusive Chinatown Wars with CEO Ben Feder only saying to expect more information soon, according to a recap of the event at GameSpot.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars was revealed at Nintendo's E3 press conference Tuesday.

Instead, the focus of the Take Two conference was on the success of some recent projects, with Grand Theft Auto IV being the highlight-it was also alleged that Civilization Revolution has already sold out at retailers with another print run coming, according to the report.

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2008, 21:11
I hope we will see screens showing the gameplay soon. And I want it 3D!

wolfpack
July 17th, 2008, 21:48
I hope we will see screens showing the gameplay soon. And I want it 3D!

I CONCUR

3D is good, i liked the topview idea but thats just for the older-gen stuff, i like it when they stuffed it into 3D, much easier to navigate and more fun to do missions with.

juiceface
July 17th, 2008, 23:52
Well they said it will be a whole new game engine, so id expect 3d. I doubt a whole new game engine would go back to 2d. I'm thinking it will depart from the traditional gta 'look' while still being 3d and looking unique.

TeenDev
July 18th, 2008, 00:30
if they had done it in 2D they wouldn't have just kept it down to Chinatown...

Joker0693
July 18th, 2008, 03:08
maybe they could do a top view game with some 3d elements like in operation Vietnam ds

Picture:
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1927/93953620070711screen003po7.jpg

policrat
July 18th, 2008, 05:18
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a top-down 2D GTA revival if the artwork was, uh, artful and up to scratch. More thoughtfully plotted and interfaced, less action-orientated. It'd be nice to care about a GTA game and its universe beyond fulfilling missions or causing chaos, and this Chinatown setting might be the one to do it with.

It'd be nice of Rockstar to pick up where the old PC adventure publishers left off, basically.

pas
July 18th, 2008, 19:41
why ? if you seriously want a top down gta on the DS play GTA Advance... it should be (worst case) 3D with the ability to switch to top down like in GTA III.

policrat
July 19th, 2008, 01:34
Why would I want to play something these days more or less below the standard of a 3D Playstation version, which is how I see GTA Chinatown panning out in 3D on the DS. Ugly, shallow, abbreviated and technically flimsy. They could instead follow through on the failings of GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas, namely narrative substance and cohesion; strengthening the work of their (excellent) designers and artists with an actual story and characters.

You can do all this without a 3D playing field obviously. In my opinion the hardware's a bigger hindrance than any 2D/sprite viewpoint, and if they went the latter route, it'd be an opportunity to flesh out what they started with GTA2. I certainly had something like Dreamweb's presentation in mind in the first post. Slower paced but more complex and absorbing than what was trotted out for the PSP.

Playing GTA Advance is not seriously wanting a top down gta on the DS, by the way.