PDA

View Full Version : Java Homebrew launched from XMB!

wraggster
July 17th, 2008, 23:38
News via pS3hax (http://www.ps3hax.net/announcement/5752-java-homebrew-launched-xmb.html)

PS3Hax member silenoz has found a way to launch a simple java game on the PS3 gameOS, with the BD-J (BluRay Disc Java) functionality. The game he launched has BD-J (Bluray Disc Java) functionality (BD-J allows bonus content on Blu-ray Disc titles to be far more sophisticated than bonus content provided by standard DVD, including network access, picture-in-picture and access to local storage.)

http://www.youtube.com/v/lGmIPZDEgaY

Tutorial:

Download the BD-J game (Blaster Bunny).
Un-Zip file
Copy it to the root of a USB/Flash drive
Go to the device in the video menu and launch "AVCHD"
Go to BONUS and click GAME to launch Blaster Bunny.

It has been confirmed that this method has been working on all PS3's regardless of firmware and region (yes even 2.41).

There is a possibility that this could lead to a potential exploit, we will keep you updated (Has user land access + full java running).

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments, If You can get other James or Emulators running then please let us know.

DPyro
July 17th, 2008, 23:44
Cool, but I dunno how much of a chance it has of getting anything more than java games working.

Shadowblind
July 17th, 2008, 23:45
So is there any potential for a JAVA-based hack? Good work though?

EDIT: ok, question got answered before I posted.

DPyro
July 18th, 2008, 00:16
BTW, you have to rename the folder AVCHD.

Accordion
July 18th, 2008, 00:31
While i doubt an exploit, surely Java emulators could be ported

Mc_Logical
July 18th, 2008, 02:11
Wicked! I just hope sony don`t block this with an update

Gizmo356
July 18th, 2008, 02:22
Not updating for a while...see what comes out of this

Mc_Logical
July 18th, 2008, 02:41
Not updating for a while...see what comes out of this

Right! thats what ima do, when the next update comes wait and read to see if this was blocked, sign in with a proxy, not sure if it still works on 2.41?

SmashinGit
July 18th, 2008, 13:43
I personally couldn't careless about finding an exploit on the PS3 and will be quite happy to update when the next update is released.

El Payo
July 21st, 2008, 08:26
This works with a Memory Stick as well. Finally a use for the 32MB stick that came with the PSP. As mentioned previously, create a folder called AVCHD in the root of the Memory Stick and put the two folders "BDMV" and "CERTIFICATE" in there. Or rename the "AVCHD_PS3HAXdotNET" folder to AVCHD and copy that folder to the root of the MemStick.

Although I have to say this "game" sucks.

sinistermoon
October 6th, 2008, 13:16
I tried several times to get this game working and it never worked. The PS3 would not find the files on the flash drive. I then tried the NES emulator again to be sure everything was still working and it loaded right up. So I know I am doing everything right. And I also changed the folder name to AVCHD as stated above.