PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto: E3 no longer for core games

Shrygue
July 18th, 2008, 19:39
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/miyamoto-e3-no-longer-for-core-games)

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has said that E3 is no longer an event where the company will be showing off games aimed at the core gaming audience.

The company has faced criticism this week from loyal fans disappointed that Nintendo barely focused on any of its classic gaming franchises such as Zelda and Mario, but instead unveiled more mainstream sports and music games.

"For a very long time, E3 was an event where — and certainly Nintendo included — catered specifically to the core gamer. Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now,” said Miyamoto to MSNBC.

During the E3 Media & Business Summit Nintendo stated that its dedicated Zelda, Mario and Pikmin teams are busy working on new projects, but no specific details were given, leaving loyal fans disappointed.

But Miyamoto said that although the teams were busy, E3 isn't the right place to showcase classic franchises and fan-favourites.

"So while attending an E3 event like this, they might be given the impression that Nintendo is no longer focusing on the games that appeal to the core gamer, in fact we’re still working on many of those titles, but it’s just not the type of event where we’ll be showcasing that anymore."

Jay6
July 18th, 2008, 19:50
Hah... well, they still failed to appeal the core gamers... maybe even turned some away.

Shadowblind
July 18th, 2008, 19:53
Not for the core gamer? Sony and microsoft don't seem to think so.

They would say that after an extremely dissapointing press conference. Both IGN and G4 had a poll "Who had the best E3?" MS won both, Sony was close behind, but Ninty was wayyyy in the back.

wolfpack
July 18th, 2008, 20:38
nintendo needs to start focusing on their core games instead of their thirdparty games.

the conduit wouldve been a perfect game to focus on, that one looked kickass :D

GespenstM
July 18th, 2008, 21:08
Funny he'd say that. I no longer feel like I'm for Nintendo. In previous years -- and certainly I was part of that with vast monetary contributions (purchases) -- I was thrilled by the genuine classics with hours and hours of depth to them that Nintendo released. Now I look at more an... ...opportunity to buy an Xbox 360, since the 60-gig model offers what I want, at the price I want.

Jay6
July 18th, 2008, 22:56
I'd actually be happier if Nintendo started releasing new 8-bit games than what they showed at E3. Megaman 9 is looking awesome imo.

JKKDARK
July 18th, 2008, 23:19
The problem is that casual games sell extremely a lot more than the core games.

jmf145
July 19th, 2008, 08:09
The problem is that casual games sell extremely a lot more than the core games.

And are cheaper to make.

exkillerxe
July 19th, 2008, 09:03
I reckon they'll unveil something at the TGS and E For All.

dahun
July 19th, 2008, 14:32
/buys an xbox 360 for some core games (no srsly im gonna get like today or tommorrow)