PDA

View Full Version : Fixed, Pre-Built, Win32 PS2SDK Released

wraggster
July 19th, 2008, 19:16
Some great news for any folks considering PS2 Development:

News from LBGSHI (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10688)

I've been working on reviving Win32 homebrew PS2 development, by tackling its most irritating problem: that there currently isn't a working Win32 development environment available. As such, the only way to program with the (PS2Dev.org) PS2SDK has been via Linux, either actually installed, or from within a virtual environment.

Hence, starting from a base of Lukasz Bruun's tutorial on installing the PS2SDK in MinGW, and with help from several people in the PS2Dev scene (who I will mention below), I've fixed, built, further fixed, and slightly revamped the MinGW environment and current PS2SDK, for use right out of the box (or the archive, in this case). Copied and pasted from the readme.txt I threw together:

This is the fully compiled PS2SDK, using msys and MinGW (fixed), including gsKit (fixed) and the SDL port (for further graphics support), SDL Mixer (for better sound/music support) and ps2-packer-lite-0.4.4-win32 (for packing and unpacking, and in alignment with some sources floating around the 'net). Essentially, we have a fully-built, standard PS2SDK, and additional functionality through gsKit, SDL, SDL-Mixer, and PS2-Packer Lite.

This package is current, as of July 19, 2008 (and will probably remain current for some time, given the rate of updates to PS2SDK).

To install, simply extract the mingw and msys directories into C:\, and run msys.bat, under c:\msys\1.0\. If you like, make a shortcut to msys.bat, and throw it on your desktop or Start menu, for quicker access. If you'll be checking things out via SVN (which you probably will, at some point), install Subversion by running svn-1.4.5-setup.exe.

To test your environment, change directory up to 1.0 (type "cd .." without quotes), then cd down to local/ps2dev/ps2sdk/samples (type "cd local/ps2dev/ps2sdk/samples"), choose a sample and cd into its directory (for example, type "cd cube"), then type "make". If you get the message "No targets specified and no makefile found", there's likely a subdirectory that contains the source you're looking to compile (as there is in several of the samples). Simply type "ls" to list the directory's contents, choose a subdirectory, type "cd subdirectory" (replacing subdirectory with whatever it's really called, of course), then try typing "make" again. If you compile something, then later want to compile it again (perhaps you modified it, or modified your environment), simply type "make clean", then type "make".

A little later, I'll provide a collection of compilable source, by many authors, which you can simply extract into your c:/msys/1.0/home directory, cd into after starting msys, and compile.

Thanks go out to:

Lukasz Bruun, for doing 99% of the work (this environment is based on his MinGW PS2SDK tutorial, with several modifications and fixes), and also for giving me a few nudges in the right direction involving gsKit, SDL, and romfs (the latter of which is still a work-in-progress).

ps2devman, for providing some Cygwin files for gsKit - as MinGW couldn't properly build gsKit without them, and PS2SDK will no longer build in Cygwin, thus I had no direct way of getting the files myself - and for providing help with fixing gsKit, and helping to update some source code of his to compile with the current PS2SDK (the more compilable source, the better :) ).

ptek, for providing several Cygwin files and some good info for the attempted romfs fix, which is still being worked on.

Oobles, for PS2Dev.org.

Many people, for PS2SDK.

And everyone else in the PS2 development scene :)

- LB, of GSHI.org

Download can be found here: http://gshi.org/vb/showthread.php?t=3097

LBGSHI
August 13th, 2008, 02:56
Hey, thanks for the spotlight :)

Hope it helps people.