PDA

View Full Version : 2.50 firmware is out, adds LocationFree support

wraggster
October 13th, 2005, 07:19
Source - PSPVault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article341.psp)

<blockquote>2.50 firmware is out. You can currently get it via "Network Update," but keep your eye on the Japanese and USA update pages as we expect the update to be appearing there shortly. Update: looks like it's on the Japanese homepage now.

The biggest addition in the new upgrade appears to be:

"LocationFree Player has been added as a feature under [Network]."

I've been saying and saying LocationFree support was coming, so please read the old article I did on "LocationFree support for PSP." I'll be posting more information throughout the night as I get it.

I have a short FAQ prepared inside with some questions I expect to be asked about this new update.

Update 1: Complete changelog inside!
Update 2: Added some more clarification about LocationFree, pointed a few interesting aspects out.
Update 3: Added some screenshots of the new features from the Sony webpage.
Update 4: Added links to necessary Sony sites.
Update 5: Holy crap, an English site about all this. Looks like us Americans will also get this feature!
Update 6: Added more screenshots of the LocationFree feature.
Update 7: Added a boatload more screenshots from the official Sony documentation. I've also uploaded Sony's PDF about LocationFree for PSP, in English, here. I'll put it in the File Vault later tonight.

Revisions to strengthen security have been added

[LocationFree Player] has been added as a feature under [Network]

[Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar.

[Text Size] and [Display Mode] settings of the [Internet Browser] can now be saved.

The input history of online forms accessed through the [Internet Browser] can now be saved.

Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on Memory Stick.)

[Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings].

WPA-PSK (AES) has been added as a security method under [Network Settings].

Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard.

So the first question you ask is:

What is "LocationFree"??

And the answer is, well, we've already answered that question! If you read this PSP-Vault article, I explain exactly what LocationFree is and suspect that it will be available for the PSP. And now it is. The LocationFree server is this thing:

And it retails for 33,000 yen, which is around $289 USD.

Will this be available outside of Japan?

Yes, it will. There is now an English website about LocationFree for PSP. SonyStyle is also listing the LocationFree server (product page here) in their lineup. It retails for $349.99 USD.

What do they mean by "Copyright-protected video"?

I suspect this has something to do with the P-TV service. PortableTV offers downloads for the PSP, but these downloads have been free of charge -- if Sony wants to start charging for downloads of more popular programming, they will need some sort of copyright protection. Good for them, too, because Memory Stick Duo already has integrated protection through "MagicGate" copyright protection technology. We'll be bringing you more details on this particular aspect in another few hours, we hope.

Wait, does that say "Memory Stick"? Don't they mean "Memory Stick Duo"?

That's something I noticed too. I have absolutely no idea what this means; is Sony planning some sort of accessory for the PSP? I guess this is just a typo in the update file itself, or I'm looking into things too deeply.

Will homebrew work?

Seeing as how this update incorporates the security changes we saw in firmware version 2.01, the answer is no, homebrew will not work. If you want to retain your ability to use homebrew, do not update. You cannot downgrade.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Besides the browser improvements, that appears to be the extent of what the new firmware update offers. We'll keep you posted as we expect some sort of official announcement from Sony about this.</blockquote>

YourStillWithMe
October 13th, 2005, 07:41
ut oh. . . .looks like Sony X Team may have to work on a new firmware trick program!!! not again! i was beginning to think i could be safe for a while hanging with that other program looks like we need a 2.50 fake. . .

please???

sony needs to stop with these stupid updates we love our homebrew sony were not stupid!!! (i know some of you guys love your isos too its not secret.)

pakkman781
October 13th, 2005, 07:58
Sorry Sony, my 1.50 is just fine :)

Is there some way to exploit via the browser? I know, probably a dumb question, and I'm sure it's been thoroughly tested, but it never hurts to ask :P

*o*
October 13th, 2005, 07:59
do you think we will need 2.50 for gta?

pkmusicmaker
October 13th, 2005, 08:40
Looks like the only way to keep Sony giving us new features is to get homebrew workin on their latest firmware. At this rate, we'll have PSP 9.0 Optimized by the end of the year.

urchin
October 13th, 2005, 08:55
Of course the irony in tempting people to upgrade to a firmware by giving them new features is that there's more new code with potential flaws to be exploited :)

jaws
October 13th, 2005, 10:37
I will NEVER upgrade untill you can run homebrew on 2.5! I even preordered GTA, what a shame, IŽll flush it down the toilet if it does not work with 1.5 firmware...

Being able to run C64, SNES, Fileassistant etc is the no. one thing that makes PSP worth the money!

JAWS.

jimjamjahaa
October 13th, 2005, 11:31
At this rate, we'll have PSP 9.0 Optimized by the end of the year.
that would be one awesome machine. maybe even nearly worth upgrading from 1.5? lol

wireless tv is sounding pretty cool tho. what with me being able to find some poor fools unencrypted broadband in pretty much any built up area :D

DraconumPB
October 13th, 2005, 13:22
hey everybody, run the update so you can use something that you have to spend more money on to get!

people that have that kinda money for something like that can also afford a second PSP.

ataribob
October 13th, 2005, 14:56
I do think if it get Hacked this time Sony will give up.

Forget drowngrader we need a version changer

echel0n
October 13th, 2005, 15:38
hey everybody, run the update so you can use something that you have to spend more money on to get!

people that have that kinda money for something like that can also afford a second PSP.

exactly..why upgrade to use some other thing and then spend another $289, just to use something new? makes more sense to use the cash for a 2gb memory stick, that way you can have some money left over, carry around whatever data you want, dont have to deal with buffering stream problems, and keep the hb and ems too. nice try sony but this user is staying w 1.5! :D

pepsolman
October 13th, 2005, 16:10
I do think if it get Hacked this time Sony will give up.

Forget drowngrader we need a version changer

That's exactly what the downgrader was... a version changer. It use a pic as an exploit and made the system think it was 1.0 so you could "upgrade" to 1.5.

It was never truely a straight downgrader... just an exploit to run the 1.5 update on 2.0 systems. But they like to call it the "downgrader". lol

YourStillWithMe
October 13th, 2005, 16:26
Ataribob-Agreed! Nothing else would keep 1.50 fans happier

im spent. . .

Tron_Fan
October 13th, 2005, 16:31
The LocationFree stuff seems "neat" but there is no way I am spending $300 on a "neat" gadget. Especially since you'd have to be in a hotspot to utilize it.

Now if somehow it streamed to sattelite so, when I was on the road in the middle of nowhere I could watch DVD movies and TV, now THAT would be cool.

ataribob
October 13th, 2005, 17:39
That's exactly what the downgrader was... a version changer. It use a pic as an http://www.psp-hacks.com/and made the system think it was 1.0 so you could "upgrade" to 1.5.

It was never truely a straight downgrader... just an exploit to run the 1.5 update on 2.0 systems. But they like to call it the "downgrader". lol

The version changer lets us 1.50 users trick our Firmware all the way up to 2.1

It was a lot easier to make than the Downgrader exploit

pepsolman
October 13th, 2005, 18:00

Yes but you can't run those version changers unless your psp is 1.0 or 1.5.

The "downgrader" is really a "version exploit for 2.0".

Still... the features in 2.0 and 2.5 just aren't enough for me. I even used the web browser at work. It was kinda cool... but not cool enough to sacrifice homebrew.

Sony just needs to give up and quit being jack@$$'s. :cool:

echel0n
October 13th, 2005, 18:08

hahahahaha we need an UPgraded downgrader :p