PDA

View Full Version : Location Free Website Open and Full Info

wraggster
October 13th, 2005, 07:27
Sony have unveiled their LocationFree Website (http://products.sel.sony.com/locationfreetv/owners/psp.html), heres all the info:

<blockquote>What is LocationFree®? How can I use it on my PSP™ system?*
You never have to leave your home entertainment behind again. With LocationFree® you can stream TV or movies from your home over broadband internet to your PSP™ system– virtually anywhere in the world. At home, simply connect you’re A/V components (TV, DVD Player or DVR) and broadband internet to your LocationFree® Base Station. On the road, connect your PSP™ system to a wireless hotspot and click on the LocationFree® icon to start streaming your favorite TV programs. Change channels, pause or record on your components at home with the onscreen universal remote. With LocationFree® on your PSP™ system, you can enjoy your home entertainment beyond the living room. And, not only is LocationFree® designed to provide the ultimate in entertainment on the go, but its wireless capability makes it perfect for use around the house too.

To start using LocationFree® video streaming on your PSP™ system, you may need to download some software.

What do I Need?

At Home
1. LocationFree® Base Station with software version 2.000 or later. A LocationFree® Base Station is included in the purchase of either the LocationFree® TV or LocationFree® Player Pak, which can be found at major retailers or at www.sonystyle.com/LocationFree®.
2. Broadband Internet with at least 300kpbs of uplink speed.1

On-the-Go
1. PSP™ system with software version 2.50 or later (update available at www.us.playstation.com/psp/).
2. Broadband Internet connection (via a hotspot) with at least 300kpbs of downlink speed.2
3.Memory Stick® Duo, which is used to store remote control codes for the PSP™ system.

How do I get Started?
In order to use the LocationFree® Player on your PSP™ system, you need to make sure your software has been updated. Please refer to the following steps and update your software as needed.

STEP ONE Make sure you are using PSP™ system software version 2.50 or later.

STEP TWO Make sure you are using LocationFree® Base Station software version 2.000 or later.

STEP THREE Download Remote Control codes to your Memory Stick® Duo on your PSP™ system to enable you to control your audio/video equipment at home.

Step One
Make sure you are using PSP™ system software is version 2.50 or later. To check your current system software version, select "System Settings" in the PSP™ system home menu, and then select "System Information". If your PSP™ system software version is 2.50 or later, you do not need to perform this update. Go to Step Two. Click the following link to update your PSP™ system software: (www.us.playstation.com/psp/)

Step Two
Next, you need to make sure your LocationFree® Base Station software is version 2.000 or later. When connected at home to the LocationFree® Base Station, your PSP™ system (with system software version 2.50 or later) will identify if the Base Station needs to be upgraded and point you to the correct download site. For more information on how to connect the PSP™ system to the Base Station, follow the instructions in the Quick Start Guide or the Setting and Usage Guide for PSP™ system.

Alternatively, your LocationFree® Base Station can be upgraded using a personal computer with the LocationFree® Player for PC software installed. For details, see the Operating Instructions for the LocationFree® Player Pak (LF-PK1).1

Step Three
This step will help you turn your PSP™ system into a universal remote control, allowing you to remotely change channels, pause and otherwise remotely control your video equipment at home. You can download needed remote control data into the Memory Stick Duo® via a personal computer or your PSP™ system. The Memory Stick Duo® stores remote control data that is needed when you use home audio/video equipment. For details of how to upgrade the software, see the Setting and Usage Guide for PSP™ system of the LocationFree® Player Pak for PSP™ system.

Quick Start Guide
Use a personal computer to view or download the Quick Start Guide. You will need to install Adobe Acrobat reader on your PC to view the Quick Start Guide.

Quick Start Guide for LocationFree® on PSP™ system pdf (328KB) (http://products.sel.sony.com/locationfreetv/owners/public/QSG_LF_PSP.pdf)

Masses more info at the Official Site (http://products.sel.sony.com/locationfreetv/flash.html)</blockquote>

PSP_Newbie
October 13th, 2005, 07:39
this seems like an actually useful, interesting feature, but i still wont upgrade :D
main problems i see are: no homebrew(obviously)
plus, you need a $350 dollar location free base station just to use this feature.
so it looks like its a features that will be wasted upon everyone except those that already have a location free system, or are willing to dish out another $350 for a psp feature
so for those not interested in homebrew and that have one of these Location-free systems, it looks like a pretty nifty feature, but still not very useful for the average-joe user

jimjamjahaa
October 13th, 2005, 11:18
oh my god! that seems absolutely awsome! space age in fact. stream your own video from wherever there is a hotspot.

man how they tempt me to upgrade...

Zergling
October 13th, 2005, 16:16
yeah me2 .....but homebrew can take all thos fun things and make them better!!!

Stew2000
October 13th, 2005, 16:24
It says "Location Free", but you still pay for a god damn box of wires!.
And how am I going to watch TV on the go!.

jimjamjahaa
October 13th, 2005, 19:08
yeah its more on the go... stop... look arround for a sneaky bit of bb straling... sit down while you configure the network settings, watch some telly, and then go again

making a usb tv areal would have been cooler