PDA

View Full Version : Piracy Raising Its Head Again

wraggster
July 21st, 2008, 18:40
The Wii Homebrew Scene is at the moment one of the most exciting of the Homebrew scenes with releases for Games, Demos, Apps, Emulators and even a dubious Custom Firmware. Last Week Bushing who is one of the Wii Scenes most prominent hackers published an article asking Nintendo to contact him to stop a piracy hole on the system but protect the Homebrew we all enjoy.

Sadly some coders are still releasing apps to dump the contents of discs to the Memory Card and even sadder is that some "Homebrew" sites are posting this news. Now what people do is their own buisness but if Nintendo see piracy on the Wii and especially with supposed homebrew sites posting about such apps we will see the big N go all out to kill homebrew for us all.

Yet again another kick in the teeth for real Homebrew and Emulation fans.

Agree or disagree via the comments

KristenBaldousor
July 21st, 2008, 19:28
Agree

even though that if Bushing release the coda for loader, Nintendo wouldn't loose much money, cuz, lets face it, the hardcore audience who is into homebrew is minimun, and not many would know how to play pirated Wii games via homebrew that already had a chipped Wii

Still, if this could endanger the homebrew more than what is already been, then I vote that this code be solved ipso facto, showing nintendo that the homebrew community do want to develope on nintendo's Wii but can't affored their SDK, so we have to look for another way, withouth harming em

rememberthe8bit
July 21st, 2008, 19:33
I guess I'm apathetic. I don't like many commercial Wii games (Wii Sports, and Metal Slug Anthology are pretty much it.) So, even if I could pirate on my Wii, I wouldn't. Though I would try out a loader just because I like doing that kind of stuff. I should buy Metal Slug...

The DS on the other hand, is another story all-together. It'll suffice to say that I'm glad I have a flashcart for that system. (Especially since I'm a poor university student, but also because I like to pirate.)

DPyro
July 21st, 2008, 19:58
How about you just not update if Nintendo patches any holes? Not like they have a ton of good games coming out soon anyway. Just a bunch of demos and mini-games.

KristenBaldousor
July 21st, 2008, 20:17
How about you just not update if Nintendo patches any holes? Not like they have a ton of good games coming out soon anyway. Just a bunch of demos and mini-games.

I can name at least 30 to be released good games for the Wii, that even though most of them are multiconsole, for me the Wii version will be better

brakken
July 21st, 2008, 20:48
I run one of those sites that posted news about one of the most recent Wii disc dumpers. Strangely enough, you've reported on numerous occasions about similar applications. Now who's calling the kettle black? Note the "legitimate backup bit" ...

Shadowblind
July 21st, 2008, 20:52
I have a feeling this will end up in stopping homebrew altogether on the Wii, as Ninty will probably go a little too far with it and block all extra content.

Great. Thanks pirates.

masterchief929
July 21st, 2008, 21:30
pirates are all ***gots that are too retarded to buy games. if u really are that poor then sell ur game system and buy food.

rememberthe8bit
July 22nd, 2008, 04:51
... Or perhaps too smart to buy games...? Think about that one...

AndrewArsonn
July 22nd, 2008, 06:22
*points above*
exactly.
Even running a friggin NES or SNES emu would still be considered "piracy" so there's not much of a difference seeing as people only use the homebrew channel for emus.
Shut up and gtfo Hypocrites. *flips you off*

paco9060
July 22nd, 2008, 06:57
I'm with Andrew on this one. Most of the traffic and buzz around here is concerning emulators. Emulators are a method of running copyrighted games.

It's piracy.

Seeing a topic here that says "piracy rears its ugly head again" (and this isn't the first time) sounds idiotic because it is a false and empty statement.

Honestly, do you think you're trying to protect the integrity of this site?

I feel like I'm watching the episode of "to catch a predator" where the one sexual offender had written a letter beforehand stating he wasn't going to do anything "illegal"...

Thanks to this site and Bushing the floodgates have been well opened to piracy.

Like these hypocritical statements against piracy are preventing anything... Nintendo is going to drop the banhammer on homebrew and all once they get around to it...

Homebrew is piracy...

Darksaviour69
July 22nd, 2008, 11:36
Emulators are a method of running copyrighted games.

So if you have already paid for the game, your not entitled to used it? Some of us actually bought these games before and still have them.

Homebrew is piracy...

So running running code that not copyrighted is also illegal? Someone should inform the US Court system (http://digital-law-online.info/cases/24PQ2D1561.htm) (just to make it easier (http://cse.stanford.edu/class/cs201/projects-99-00/intellectual-property-law/reverse_engineering.htm) to understand)

DarthPaul
July 22nd, 2008, 11:57
Some of us actually bought these games before and still have them.

Yeah, SOME of us. And that "some" is a huge minority.

Most of us don't even know how to back-up a game of one of those old consoles we're emulating. And I'm pretty sure that they don't even own the console they're emulating, and if they do... It doesn't even work.

So yeah, bad excuse if you ask me.

Darksaviour69
July 22nd, 2008, 12:11
Emulators are as illegal as VCRs. Anything shown on TV is copyrighted (99.9%) and VCRs allowed you to record and then play copyrighted material with out the owners permission. But they are Legal, because they are covered by "fair use".

If you want to rant against someone, rant against the sites that actually provide the copyright material illegally (there is plenty of them), and not the (few) sites that try to keep the scene legal!

If you don't like this sites polices, its a big internet, go somewhere else.

Baboon
July 22nd, 2008, 12:16
I do think its a very thin line between Homebrew and piracy.

whYeNQue
July 22nd, 2008, 14:08
I do think its a very thin line between Homebrew and piracy.

you can't draw a line when parts of them overlap.

you can always stay well clear of piracy, but in the end, there is always a grey area where people will venture into.

dejkirkby
July 22nd, 2008, 14:42
I dare say this thread is hardly gonna solve the age-old problem of homebrew vs piracy.
But on the original topic, I cannot find a way that I can agree with Bushings actions.
Granted, I understand that he is "anti-piracy" and commend him for that, but I cannot understand why he would inform Nintendo of any exploit.
It seems to me that either Bushing sees himself as the "leader/owner" of the Wii Homebrew/Piracy scene and feels it's up to him to tell developers what they can and can't do or he is looking to curry favour with Nintendo.
If it is the latter, then screwing over the whole scene for this is bang out of line.
The facts are that in the eyes of big corporations, that homebrew and piracy come hand -in-hand. As much as users try to choose sides on this, it's not as clear-cut as it should be. If you develop homebrew, using exploited software on consoles, then you are tarred with the same brush as if you developed a ISO loader.
In my view, Bushing has gone from a hero in this scene to a villain in one fell swoop!

dahun
July 22nd, 2008, 15:48
um they could just be using this for backups? with is leagul (o i looked it up it takes like 9 hrs. to dump 1 game not to mention putting the sd card in and out)
so thier is still no way to run them without a modchip of some kind

AndrewArsonn
July 22nd, 2008, 17:06
What I'm saying is playing snes or nes games for free and playing backups of games, there isn't much of a difference.
On Nintendo's FAQ I saw a statement that showed they were against emulators.
And you can guess where I'm getting at.
None of us use emus for games we already own, what are you five?
Someone's gonna try out a game they've never heard of before and see what all the buzz is about.
so, stop being a hypocrite.
And yes I can go somewhere else I'm a member of 4 homebrew forums, And some even give out the iso's of wii games.