PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Reply To Bushings Piracy Concerns

wraggster
July 21st, 2008, 19:00
Bushing (http://hackmii.com/2008/07/dear-nintendo/) one of the Wii Scenes most prominent hackers last week went public with his plea to Nintendo to answer him and stop a piracy exploit (unreleased) in the Wii that allows unmodified Wiis to run pirated Games, Bushing updated and Nintendo have replied.
He did not post the reply from Nintendo, he just posted

(Insert a polite reply here from a real person at Nintendo, indicating that they received my message and will reply further shortly.)

(No, I won’t be posting any other correspondence with them.)

Bushing has also posted (http://hackmii.com/2008/07/dear-nintendo/#comment-2196) all the emails from people pretending to be from nintendo (eg [email protected]).

Looks like the pirates wont be getting their day after all and by doing this Bushing has protected the Homebrew scene. Yes a strange move for a Wii Hacker to Work with Nintendo but protecting against Piracy benefits all and especially the Homebrew Community.

spread the word (http://digg.com/nintendo/Bushing_Helps_Nintendo_Stop_Piracy_on_Wii)

DPyro
July 21st, 2008, 19:04

Oh yes, that's Nintendo alright. Especially all the typos and grammar errors. More like a faker who wishes to use that info to create a program to load pirated games.

Sonicboy 101
July 21st, 2008, 19:15
Who's Tyson Green?

DPyro
July 21st, 2008, 19:18
I'm assuming it's a made up name, although there is a Tyson Green who works for Bungie as Multiplayer Design Lead.

gamesquest1
July 21st, 2008, 19:23
Hah so nobody noticed the gmail email address
i saw that straight away
But i somhow think bushing may have fell for this as he seems to be announcing that he got this email lol,come on im sure nintendo would have more to say than "hey your bad give us the hack" come on does anybody think he has actually sent it to this person lol

KristenBaldousor
July 21st, 2008, 19:24
Well, i don't know if that's a made up email, subject and name to protect the actual nintendo personal or a faker who want to get a hold of the code and do a loader, as has been stated before, but I wouldn't trust a email that comes like this and even, a with wush rude manner

I mean, the guy is helping Nintendo and they go like this, or at least, the guy who wrote the response went like this

h2923j42n2
July 21st, 2008, 19:24
Look at comment number twelve (http://www.hackmii.com/2008/07/dear-nintendo/#comment-2196)...

(Insert a polite reply here from a real person at Nintendo, indicating that they received my message and will reply further shortly.)

(No, I won’t be posting any other correspondence with them.)

Sonicboy 101
July 21st, 2008, 19:29
Response #9 made me chuckle. :cool:

I'm assuming it's a made up name, although there is a Tyson Green who works for Bungie as Multiplayer Design Lead.

Indeed. I know no "Tyson Green" who has a correspondence with Nintendo.

TVarmy
July 21st, 2008, 20:20
Eh, I bet he just wants people to stop pestering him, so he went with one of the fake emails, sent them some junk code, and then decided to make it look like he was not going to release the code after all.

I doubt Nintendo is using Gmail accounts just to hide their employees' work email addresses. They'd have the email sent with something generic in the To: box, like [email protected].

bandit
July 21st, 2008, 20:23
Why would Nintendo even post a comment via site? A true professional company would physically email him personally and not make it so obvious and for everyone to see.

Come on wraggster, you should know better than post stuff without reading.

iofthestorm
July 21st, 2008, 21:07
Why would Nintendo even post a comment via site? A true professional company would physically email him personally and not make it so obvious and for everyone to see.

Come on wraggster, you should know better than post stuff without reading.

In case you didn't realize, the posts were emails that Bushing received, hence why they were all posted as Bushing. I'm a little confused as to why he posted the fake emails though.

JKKDARK
July 21st, 2008, 21:08
I don't think Nintendo would use a gmail account.

qwerty11
July 21st, 2008, 21:16
All these emails are bullshit and the person posting them is an attention whore and so is bushing.

NEWSFLASH: bushing is not the only person capable of hacking the wii. The guy is smart and he has done great things for the homebrew community... BUT

If this guy is genna be a *** and rat out to Nintendo, just wait..... no one update their wii... its as simple as that. The only way Nintendo can fix this is by a system update.

If there is a hack which will allow us to pirate games someone else will find it sooner or later.

**** bushing

DimensionT
July 21st, 2008, 21:38
All these emails are bullshit and the person posting them is an attention whore and so is bushing.

NEWSFLASH: bushing is not the only person capable of hacking the wii. The guy is smart and he has done great things for the homebrew community... BUT

If this guy is genna be a *** and rat out to Nintendo, just wait..... no one update their wii... its as simple as that. The only way Nintendo can fix this is by a system update.

If there is a hack which will allow us to pirate games someone else will find it sooner or later.

**** bushing

Dude, you're a freaking 'tard... You're saying "**** bushing, he's a rat, he's gonna **** up the scene, blah blah". Where do you think the scene would be without him? His team is what made everything possible.

You're more then likely just some asshole that only cares about playing your precious "back-ups". Piracy is not part of the scene, it's what gives the scene a bad name. What Bushing is doing is awesome, but your thoughts are too convoluted with free games to see that.

He has no obligation to release any info about anything other then the "back-up" exploit. If you think he would, you're ****ing stupid. He's invested alot of time and effort into what's been done.

Harshboy
July 21st, 2008, 22:18
I just won't update my Wii and I'll wait until someone else finds it that doesn't give a rats ass about how piracy affects companies and blah blah.

If we know its possible, someone else will find it, otherwise it's fake.

bleepdamnit
July 21st, 2008, 22:33
In Waninkoko we trust?

vicious1988
July 21st, 2008, 22:35
I'm all for giving Nintendo the details. Although I can almost guarantee its a backdoor they added, possibly a remnant from the devkit which allows backup disc access if it meets certain criteria (a code in the first few bytes, a certain file, etc).

whYeNQue
July 21st, 2008, 22:39
lol. that was a fake. there are multiple attempts at getting the info out of bushing... some people beg, some people use email faking, some people promise not to tell a soul, and others... well... are just others.

he hasn't put the actual correspondence in the post yet. don't know if we will see it.

masterchief929
July 21st, 2008, 22:42
wats with you newbie's coming here and wanting bushing to destroy the scene? u guys r all retarded rejects who are so poor and lazy u cant afford to buy ur own games. get off ur *** and get a job.

Graxer0419
July 21st, 2008, 22:43
In my expierience Nintendo emails always end in @codestorm.co.uk.

DimensionT
July 21st, 2008, 23:01
I'm all for giving Nintendo the details. Although I can almost guarantee its a backdoor they added, possibly a remnant from the devkit which allows backup disc access if it meets certain criteria (a code in the first few bytes, a certain file, etc).

Fixing that won't mean a whole lot for us homebrewers. Just being able to read roms/homebrew from discs.... But if you ask me, paying for DVDs over the 10-15 bucks for a re-usable 2GB SD card is just stupid.

iofthestorm
July 21st, 2008, 23:36
Yeah, DVDs serve no purpose for homebrew, only "backups." Bushing is definitely doing the right thing, and somehow people expect they can fool him with simple email spoofers. I now think he put those emails up there to make fun of people.

AndrewArsonn
July 22nd, 2008, 00:06
Newsflash: DVD's can save space on the SD card and I'd do it.
Yeah, you don't hear me bitching about the price.
Burning roms to a DVD?
In my opinion that would help me save ALOT of ****ing room.
And before you call someone "newbies" maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and realize they are members too dick.

agenericperson
July 22nd, 2008, 00:45
Newsflash: DVD's can save space on the SD card and I'd do it.
Yeah, you don't hear me bitching about the price.
Burning roms to a DVD?
In my opinion that would help me save ALOT of ****ing room.
And before you call someone "newbies" maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and realize they are members too dick.

I feel your pain. We have a Saturn emulator, N64 emulator, video player, Turbo CD emulator, GBA emulator all of which use a ton of space. And I can only have 2gigs max on a card. I hate deleting files on and off and I don't want to buy a whole bunch of cards.

I haven't gotten to try out half these things because of space constraints. Now if I could put all roms and videos for this stuff on a DVD which can hold 8.5 gigs max then I would have a lot more room to work with and not have to delete and recopy files all the time (wearing down the flash) or plot and plan what games I'm going to be playing in the near future.

Gawker
July 22nd, 2008, 00:49
I've been following this story since it was posted and I've got to weigh in and make an admittance. First of all, I'm one of those people who gets excited when they hear about ISO loaders and different platforms. I'm an avid custom firmware user on my PSP and I use those firmwares to their full advantage including the ISO loaders. HOWEVER, I'm the exception to the rule in that I do not have any ISOs of any games I do not own and did not rip myself and the REASON I use the ISO loader is because it allows me to carry my PSP and games wherever I please without having to carry along a suitcase full of UMD disks as well (not to mention the ISOs load much faster than the UMD itself).

I also use a flash cart in my DS in similar fashion to avoid carrying handfulls of cartridges around with me at all times. BUT as with my PSP I posess no rom images I didn't backup myself.

The thought of an ISO loader on the Xbox360 or even PS3 interests me because it would allow loading of my games from hard drive improving load times (I assume) as well as keeping me from having to dig through my video cabinet to get a game to play.

ON topic to this debate the idea of an ISO loader for the Wii doesn't really hold much potential for me since it lacks the internal storage to make use of it in the manner I tend to lean towards. Seems to me the only reason to run unsigned disks on the Wii is piracy and for that reason I fully support Bushing on this issue.

Now I'm not going to take a soap box approach here and say I've never downloaded a pirate image to try out a game, but if I like the game I buy it. Simple as that. The wii already gives us the opportunity to try before we buy on NDS games to some degree and I think it'll only be a matter of time before Wii demos are made available similar to Xbox live at which point there REALLY will be no legitimate purpose in having an ISO loader. If the homebrew scene is going to make use of the disk drive at all I would hope it would be to play DVDs on the console, or maybe load more complex homebrew from a disk, though as was stated by DimensionT with the falling cost of SD chips there's really not much demand for disks in the homebrew world either. Though loading an entire library of old school gaming bliss on a single disk would be really nice...

</2cents>

gamesquest1
July 22nd, 2008, 01:06
ohh whats with all these im an expert on how everything works you have no brains NOOOOBS NOOOBS you are f*ing retards the fact you use the word noob proves you try to blend in with the croud of arrogant retarded shits who think they are better than other people......people pirate games fact if you are so against people stealing "possible" sales from nintendo dont you realise emulators are stealing the wii's "possible" virtual console sales so dont act like you have moral high ground on anybody you are all trying to get free games thats the simple fact live with it nobody really uses there homebrew channel to play on wii physics all day yeah homebrew is cool regardless of your opinion hombrew if it is using a hacked console is on exactly the same category as iso loaders it all just unlisensed code dont think its better bacause you dont actually use a dvd to play them has bushing tried to stop wad installers running Nope they are really just for stolen VC games so guys if you play illigal games or not you are still in the big fat dirty piracy ridden group of unofficial coding and games theres no inbetween about it so dont kid yourself

P.s please dont say ohh but i already own all the original roms who cares if you do which you almost certaily dont or you would have to live in a f*ing masion to store them all and if you did that why are you so bothered about paying virtual console prices using "i already own the game on the original console" is basically like me saying i own dead rising on xbox 360 so ill download a copy for wii aswell i am allowed to because i own it

AndrewArsonn
July 22nd, 2008, 01:13
ohh whats with all these im an expert on how everything works yo have no brains NOOOOBS NOOOBS you are f*ing retards the fact you use the work noob proves you try to blend in with the croud of arrogant retarded shits who think they are better than other people......people pirate games fact if you are so against people stealing "possible" sales from nintendo dont you realise emulators are stealing the wii's "possible" virtual console sales so dont act like you have moral high ground on anybody you are all trying to get free games thats the simple fact live with it nobody really uses there homebrew channel to play on wii physics all day yeah homebrew is cool regardless of your opinion hombrew if it is using a hacked console is on exactly the same category as iso loaders it all just unlisensed code dont think its better bacause you dont actually use a dvd to play them has bushing tried to stop wad installers running Nope they are really just for stolen VC games so guys if you play illigal games or not you are still in the big fat dirty piracy ridden group of un official coding and games theres no inbetween about it so dont kid yourself

P.s please dont say ohh but i already own all the original roms who cares if you do which you almost certaily dont or you would have to live in a f*ing masion to store them all and if you did that why are you so bothered about paying virtual console prices using "i already own the game on the original console" is basically like me saying i own dead rising on xbox 360 so ill download a copy for wii aswell i am allowed to because i own it

Said it better than I could have. :P
*plays his "you are a pirate" mp3 he got off of limewire*

DimensionT
July 22nd, 2008, 02:09
ohh whats with all these im an expert on how everything works you have no brains NOOOOBS NOOOBS you are f*ing retards the fact you use the word noob proves you try to blend in with the croud of arrogant retarded shits who think they are better than other people......people pirate games fact if you are so against people stealing "possible" sales from nintendo dont you realise emulators are stealing the wii's "possible" virtual console sales so dont act like you have moral high ground on anybody you are all trying to get free games thats the simple fact live with it nobody really uses there homebrew channel to play on wii physics all day yeah homebrew is cool regardless of your opinion hombrew if it is using a hacked console is on exactly the same category as iso loaders it all just unlisensed code dont think its better bacause you dont actually use a dvd to play them has bushing tried to stop wad installers running Nope they are really just for stolen VC games so guys if you play illigal games or not you are still in the big fat dirty piracy ridden group of unofficial coding and games theres no inbetween about it so dont kid yourself

I think you just lowered yourself to the level of the people you're bitching about.

Gawker
July 22nd, 2008, 02:35
I think gamesquest1 may have taken my response incorrectly. I didn't mean to imply I owned all the original romss I only stated that the only images and ISOs I use my iso loaders and flash carts for are ones I actually own. If there's a homebrewer alive who hasn't played emulators at one time or another I've never met them. I think the real issue here is piracy of Wii games which Bushing is admirably trying to prevent. If he succeeds there's a chance that the homebrew scene's public image could benefit from these actions. And on the flipside, there's drive chips out to allow pirates their fun. Remember, locks only exist to keep honest people honest. Those who would get inside will always find a way.

gamesquest1
July 22nd, 2008, 02:52
I think you just lowered yourself to the level of the people you're bitching about.

oh whatever how can anybody explain how all loaders and hombrew are connected without getting swarmed upon by anybody who thinks because they manage to follow a few guides, it makes them proffessionals on what hombrew is and why what they do is the only exception to the fact nintendo DONT want people coding on their console unless you can pay them for lisencing fees.

Yeah im ranting because i have had enough of everybody thinking that there is some line which makes it diffrent and fine for one homebrew project and not another you are all homebrew members so stop acting like some of you are on a moral high ground.

I will admit that i dont own originals of all the roms i have but i dont think anybody does really honestly you all seem to be in denial that you are 100% legit......nah nobody in the world is really no matter how you justify it to your self like "oooohhhh but i would never use a iso loader"

Good for you, well done, we are all so proud of you, we beg at your feet, dear god please have mercy on our souls.
Only homebrew coders possibly to a very small degree!! Can brag about morals but even still they are basically still "STEALING" the right to code on the wii, you have to pay for that right same way as you are ment to pay for the games people steal, its all the same thing theft

rant over now just think about it people

Shadowblind
July 22nd, 2008, 03:04
Alright let's all calm down here. Hey, let's all go out for a tequila, I'll buy :P

on topic: Honestly I can't see piracy messing up the Wii scene at all. My friend has a modded Wii and he can't play any good burnt games. Something about updating something.

Still, I do want the ability to burn DVDs with a huge library of games. Just have a binder, and when I want To play NEs, just take the DVD out. SNES, Genesis, N64...all at the flip of a disc :D

If there is any way to STOP piracy but allow CD use for storage means then by all means DO IT

davidw89
July 22nd, 2008, 03:22
This Is A Win For People Who Have A Chipped Wii!!

basilb
July 22nd, 2008, 04:03
I think Nintendo won't care that much. The people capable of making use of such an exploit are not the same millions of people Nintendo are making all their non-game profits from.

tttyyyyyyyy
July 22nd, 2008, 04:29
Eh, Nintendo has an opportunity here. They can semi-legitimize homebrew like Apple did by opening up the WiiWare store to homebrew apps that have proven to be safe, and they can also do something good about space constraints, such as allowing people to store data in the cloud, or adding SDHC to the slot (if that is possible through code), or perhaps a bluetooth hard drive.

If they do this, they can patch every hole and control piracy without pissing off the homebrewers too much.

El Capitaine
July 22nd, 2008, 06:52
The thought of an ISO loader on the Xbox360 or even PS3 interests me because it would allow loading of my games from hard drive improving load times (I assume) as well as keeping me from having to dig through my video cabinet to get a game to play.

Well, if you didn't see E3...the 360 one will come true in the fall as part of the 'New Xbox Experience' a.k.a. the Fall Dashboard Update.

The update will allow you to copy a game as an ISO into your Hard Drive, for the purpose of speeding load times.

Unlike the PS3 which has many mandatory installations, no 360 game will ever require this feature. It is completely optional, if you wish to use it for faster load times.

However, the unfortunate part is that the original disk is still required. The original disk must be put in to verify that you own the game, but beyond this it will not spin, as the game will run off the HDD.

However, this means that if your disc is scratched beyond playability http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems#Scratched_discs, then you could rent or borrow the game, copy it to your HDD, and then it's as good as new!

NegFactor
July 22nd, 2008, 07:27
The problem with discussion of piracy is that the line of right/wrong was drawn in the sand ages ago...but by about a dozen different people at the same time. So here we are with some umpteen groups of moral and ethical stances concerning piracy, and everyone thinks they're right. It's like effing politics, here.

I pirate games. I can keep it that simple.

But what do I pirate?
Are they new games?
Older games?
Abandonware?
Do I own all of them?
Some of them?
Any of them?
What if they're games I can't get access to by reasonable standards?
Is it wrong to want to play a rom of a game that's been translated, as I cannot read the native language in which it was made?
What about media aside from games?
Is it wrong if that media is also inaccessible by reasonable standards?

Everyone has a different standpoint for what is okay and what is not okay. When these emulators were designed for these various systems (PC and console), some people took on these tasks with the idea to try and do something they thought would be fun, not necessarily with the intention of using it for pirating or otherwise. Others did it specifically for the pirating ability.

Even beyond this level, there are concerns about what piracy does in terms of damage to the console overall. Does it kill a console? If it is so easy to pirate games on a particular console, doesn't that encourage sales of said console so that people can pirate away on it?

Do gaming companies go under because not enough people have invested in their games? Is it justified if their games were of poor quality and people didn't shell out money just to figure this out because they used piracy to save some money? And if that is wrong, doesn't that make people who borrow games just as guilty, since they can avoid shelling out the necessary cash by just playing said game and giving it back to a friend?

Purchasing used games doesn't give money back to the companies who made the games, it simply lines the pockets of the middleman companies that sell the used games. Is pirating a used game okay then? If I was going to buy a used copy, I obviously had no intention of contributing to the software industry's growth in the first place.

People like to be defined by their beliefs and will attempt to defend them to the death whenever it befits them, especially if they can do so from behind a screen where only words can bring pain unto them.

I think DVD storage for roms is a great idea. I also think Bushing's decision to offer the code up to Nintendo was a great idea. I pirate games. I also object to the pirating of games based on certain standards I've set FOR MYSELF.

If you're here in the homebrew scene to leech, then just have patience. Somebody with enough ingenuity will come along with their Sega CD, Saturn, PSX, N64 code to brighten your day, along with some creative method for building your vast collection of burnt DVDs just for that purpose.

If you're here in the homebrew scene to learn or contribue, I applaud you. You're what helps keep the gears of this magnificent little piece of clockwork turning.

If you're here to state your entitlement, get in line. There are about a world's worth of people who feel the same standing in front of you. Me, I'll just keep on waiting. :)

geise69
July 22nd, 2008, 13:08
Sir I applaud you! :)

vicious1988
July 22nd, 2008, 15:22
*Has no long ass speech to post*

*Has already stated his position*

=====END POST=====

pedrovsk
August 10th, 2008, 06:05
This Is A Win For People Who Have A Chipped Wii!!

A win for people who have a chipped Wii? I don't get it.

This is an anti-piracy win, definitely the opposite of the purpose of chipped Wiis. It has no benefit whatsoever to anyone who has a chipped Wii.

Those who play backups with a chipped Wii and made comments elsewhere on how they are happy for this because it's against piracy are a bunch of hypocrites.

You just want to keep a reason to justify the trouble and money spent on chipping.