PDA

View Full Version : Hackers Ponder PSP Firmware Ver 2.50

wraggster
October 13th, 2005, 18:28
Source - Spong (http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?mode=news&type=n&cid=&pid=&vid=&prid=9209&n=BREAKING%3A+Hackers+Ponder+PSP+Firmware+Ver+2%2E 50)

Sony Computer Entertainment is in the process of launching the latest Firmware upgrade for Sony’s PSP, unsurprisingly called SCEI PSP Firmware Version 2.50. The latest augmentation to the portable games and multimedia device offers some much-anticipated functionality as well as unknown security implications.

The known new functionality discovered to date includes:

- Streaming TV functionality region lock-out removed (UMD movies still region-locked)
- Auto Select and Uni Code have been added to browser encoding
- Browser Font option and display options can be saved
- Browser input history can be saved
- Korean keyboard input
- Copyright Video can now be played from Memory Stick - Licensing issues unannounced
- System setting such as time and date will be auto-set via Internet
- WPA AND PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access with Pre-Shared Key) have been added to PSP network settings

Firmware Version 2.50 is only available (officially, at least) to Japanese PSP owners at time of going to press, though availability in the US and Europe is expected within two to three months. Sony stated that all new PSP units shipped after November 1 will have Ver 2.50 pre-installed. Adventurous importers of PSP hardware can find the upgrade on Sony’s PSP page.

Meanwhile, hacker communities are mulling over this latest twist in the battle for boot-rights to PSP. Homebrew software use and wholesale piracy has been a major concern for Sony since it launched the PSP with its tentative stab at keeping out unwanted tinkerers…

We’ll keep a track on Ver 2.50 in the coming days.

Virus
October 13th, 2005, 23:12
eh another try to stop hombrew.... i dont fear, anything is hackable, it just needs time and the guys. if people can hack into the pentagon, i dont think it will be that hard for a game device, even tho we dont have people that can hack that good, but we got some good teams that broke everything so far.

Datahax
October 13th, 2005, 23:42
When was the last time the pentagon was severely hacked and the hacker got away with it though?

urherenow
October 14th, 2005, 05:38
you know what would be super cool?

A double whammy.

Discovering an exploit in DRM to run homebrew (or at least downgrade) a 2.5 :)

slik da relic
October 14th, 2005, 08:54
as long as the version changers worx, sony can do whatever the hell they want. im never upgrading. :cool:

da relic

wilef
October 14th, 2005, 17:41
Even if there was a homebrew exploit found in the next couple of months, I wouldn't want it released until some better features were available. If the hack comes out now, Sony will just patch it before their next major release which would include something more useful, like a better browser with flash and full java support.

slik da relic
November 13th, 2005, 12:58
i felt this way when the 1st version changer came out. i felt it came out way too early, forcing sony to increase their efforts.

previous quote (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52414#post52414)

da relic

vincesecuricor2005
November 13th, 2005, 21:15
damn them 2.00 aint even been hacked properly yet (to play all emus and such) and they gonna f**k us up again (sigh)

xuphorz
November 13th, 2005, 21:23
i looked more up on streaming tv, and theres a catch
what it does it stream any video from your pc, through wireless router, and you can watch it on your psp. the catch is it needs a $350 basestation

vincesecuricor2005
November 13th, 2005, 23:48
sucks dont it really