PDA

View Full Version : BD-J for PS3 minimal devkit - Homebrew Dev Kit for PS3

wraggster
July 22nd, 2008, 20:04
Freeplay the coder of PSP Fame has stepped up and released in his own words the first minimal Devkit for the PS3. A way for now to get the first non PS3 Linux homebrew on the system, basically its a Java Homebrew for PS3 Devkit. Not quite the major breakthrough but still a great step in the right direction.

Heres the readme:

BD-J for PS3 minimal devkit by FreePlay

NOTE: For this to work properly, you *MUST* copy it to the root of your C: drive - that is, to C:\bdj-ps3. DO NOT rename the folder.

Included is everything you'll need to get started except for:
1. a working installation of JDK, the Java Development Kit (get that from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp - currently, the latest version is JDK 6 Update 7)
2. a copy of bdj.jar, the BD-J API. I can't provide this, since you need a license to use it; however, if you have a PC program capable of making or playing Blu-Ray discs - like Nero or PowerDVD - you can get this file from there. (In Nero 8, the file is located in C:\program Files\Common Files\Nero\NeroBLC\BDJ\jlib .)

I don't have any real documentation on BD-J, though I'm sure you can find some on the HDCookBook website. In the 'docs' folder is some basic info on BD-J on a very high level.

So far as I can tell, there are some pretty strict limitations on the PS3's implementation of BD-J:
1. You cannot read or write local files.
2. You cannot list the contents of a directory.

I may be wrong, so feel free to correct me, but I ran a few tests and couldn't do those things.

I've also included a sample Hello World application and silenoz's RSS reader, as well as a build.bat file for building, packing, and signing the programs. This batch script is pretty much universal, unless you need to add in other JAR files for your compilation.

Source files for each project should go in a folder called root\org\homebrew. For example, if you make a project called "Test App", in your "Test App" folder you'll place the universal build.bat , then make a root\org\homebrew folder and place your .java files in there. The 'root' folder will become the root of your JAR file; any files you place in that structure will become part of the JAR.

The 'disc files' folder contains the file structure for what you'll copy to your storage device. Once you've built your 00000.jar file, copy it to 'AVCHD\BDMV\JAR\' and you'll be ready to test it.

Good luck!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Mc_Logical
July 22nd, 2008, 22:50
In the ps3 c:/ drive? does that mean putting your ps3 hard drive card into a pc or laptop? but anyway this sounds interesting! finally maybe some good homebrew coming to ps3? emulators and what not written in java? and yeah! im not bothered about ps3 iso back ups, homebrew! because we know the ps3 is capable of running good emulators, imagine dreamcast on ps3! ok yeah! im thinking too far ahead lol but u know, n64 etc

Napalm-Death
July 22nd, 2008, 23:58
In the ps3 c:/ drive? does that mean putting your ps3 hard drive card into a pc or laptop? but anyway this sounds interesting! finally maybe some good homebrew coming to ps3? emulators and what not written in java? and yeah! im not bothered about ps3 iso back ups, homebrew! because we know the ps3 is capable of running good emulators, imagine dreamcast on ps3! ok yeah! im thinking too far ahead lol but u know, n64 etc

The C:\ on your PC.

Accordion
July 23rd, 2008, 00:12

Don't expect anything too impressive, this isnt an exploit of any kind,
There are NES and SNES emulators in Java however, so it is possible this method could provide a little retro fun.

DPyro
July 23rd, 2008, 02:46
Already made a small calculator app :p

Zin0099
July 23rd, 2008, 03:43
anyone want to pm me the blue ray files?

Mc_Logical
July 23rd, 2008, 07:13
Oh! nah! I was just being a bit ambitious I know, don`t treat me like a noob lol oh! and I get it now, I didn`t fully understand, I was more focused with excitement lol and yea! id expect snes or nes

Kasimir2007
July 23rd, 2008, 11:49
I want a emulator Java Amstrad on my HD TV :eek:

dracflamloc
July 24th, 2008, 04:32
This is a nice little find. I'm gonna try messing with it. If anyone can find any documentation on BD-J and its API please post it here.

BDJ.jar -- Cyberlink has it in its trial version as well.

Napalm-Death
July 25th, 2008, 01:47
Is there any news on a PS3 version of a Java SNES emu?

orderoftheflame
July 28th, 2008, 15:52
what do you do/where do you put the bdj.jar file?

thanks