PDA

View Full Version : DOSBox - Coming soon to a dreamcast near you !!!

GPF
October 14th, 2005, 05:30
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/DBDC.jpg

Iv got the shell running so far on my dreamcast hardware, still needs some work and don't know how fast , compatibility ,sound etc are working yet. Still need to figure out how to mount the dc gdrom as a drive to load dos games from also.

Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Starscream
October 14th, 2005, 16:36
That's probably gonna be slow as hell. I think I've read somewhere that one reason the first PSP version was so slow was because the CPU cycles of dos-box were set too low though.

DARKGATE
October 14th, 2005, 20:27
=D great surprise GPF HOLLEEEEEEEEEE =DDDD

Eric
October 15th, 2005, 04:44
Well its defenitly good news and its good to hear. I knew it was possible but defenitly needed lots of work. This is one thing i am going to test out if you need any testers leave me a pm and i will get back to you on that. Good work.

Eric

ron
October 15th, 2005, 18:27
Nice day for a new, Troy congrats for the work,.

arqueiro
October 17th, 2005, 02:10
can we dream with a possibility, of, maybe, someday play the DOs version of NFS1 on this emu ?

Eric
October 17th, 2005, 14:14
if this emu works it will play 286,386 and 486 and most of the games wont work still but you can find that out on Dosbox's site which ones will work. Also if its released on Dreamcast there might be speed issues for those types of games.

Eric

ron
October 18th, 2005, 10:51
Thank You very much TROY, for allowing me participate in your project.
The DosBOX, was yesterday recompiled with SDL127 by Chui, with 129 doesnt run yet.
With the SDL127, the video now allows to select the startup in 50 or 60 hz.

Some features:

- Based on DOSBOX 0.60 (0.63 eats the ram)
- Source is C++ and fully dc compilable
- Actually without any optimization, the emulated CPU is a 368, running on DC at 6/8 Mhz.
- Emulated video card is VGA
- DOS is integrated into source, now working on /rd /cd & /pc in order to mount drives and images.
- Does not mount any drive at the moment.
- Dreamcast Keyboard Fully compatible

At DCiberia.net you can download a video of the emulator running.

Soon more news and Thx TROY.

ron
October 18th, 2005, 10:59
From my point of view, with a proper optimization this emulator can reach 12 / 14 Mhz emulating 386 and VGA. That means that lot of games designed for DOS will run very nice. If you see the pics, look at the ammount of available RAM. Isnt't bad !!!
Now a long way is in front of you, I think this project is real and can be at end done in Dreamcast.

Eric
October 18th, 2005, 14:09
This is a great colaberation if thats how its spelt lol. Its good to see that you joined them to helpout on this project more and more interesting things will come out of this. Well anyways from the news i have heard sounds amazing i will take a sneak peek at the video.

Eric

GPF
November 3rd, 2005, 20:03
ok finally figure out the mounting issue, but all i can do is list the directory contents of the mounts still need to figure out if I need a particular dosbox.conf setting to get something to work or if I still have some code fixes to do :)

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/dosboxdc.jpg

Also if someone could runs dosbox 0.60 and give me their dosbox.conf that works with some dos game on the pc so i can at least have something that i know works with that version, preferably something that might run ,within the constraints of the dreamcast hardware.

thanks

GPF
November 4th, 2005, 08:14
ok got a couple things running now, PacPC and Pango slowly but they are running.

pauljake
November 4th, 2005, 20:29
I would like to give some "ideas" for this emulator, if doesn't bother: I think that using CPU cycles near 1500 and with a frameskip of two or three (it can be configured thru "dosbox.conf" file) at least in PC version, things speeds up a lot and the emulation doesn't feel choppy. According to the creators of this emu, the biggest emulation time is on the VGA emulation, so frameskip is our best friend. There is OpenGL emulation for the VGA card in DOSBox, but (in my computer) runs slower than the default renderer, but anyways, I don't know if it would be possible to emulate the VGA via hardware rendering on DC, time (and coders ;)) will say... Another thing, I think that it would be better to start without sound emulation (that can be configured in "dosbox.conf" too). Good luck GPF and others with this project! :D

GPF
November 10th, 2005, 22:01
yes thanks, yeah the biggest issue right now is finding compatible games that work with dosbox 0.60 , since 0.63 is out now most discussion are about that version. Iv been playing around with the dosbox.conf also. I havent tried the opengl settings as the standard sdl settings is working , im using chui's latest SDL driver so I believe its doing direct rendering anyway. Finally got sound working last night, kind of neat to here the bings boinsg etc :)

Troy

pauljake
November 11th, 2005, 18:03
Yeah, I was talking about v0.63, sorry... I'm going to test the v0.60 to see compatibility. Congrats for getting sound working! And some ideas to implement an on-screen keyboard in some future release (like Frodo-DC)? Because I'm sure that most DC gamers doesn't have a DC keyboard and it would be a great implementation. Good luck, and take your time!! :D

GPF
November 11th, 2005, 19:28
i think before I try to implement a virtuall keyboard, Ill work on a method of assigning keyboard keys to the controller buttons, and possibly make the joystick of the controller into a virtual mouse, and have it be enabled by some settings in the dosbox.conf . Not sure when Ill get to that though. Iv submitted DosboxDC to the dreamon contest so it should be released soon.

Troy

Starscream
November 13th, 2005, 17:05
the compatibility list is mostly updated now to .063 indeed, but there's still some games tested for 0.60 and versions below over at the dosbox page.
see:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=a&begaming_website_session=bb1216d42d914c48b6c1ea4a2 8500184

e.g. Cannonfodder, Hardball 3, Ultima 6. Over 500 Games are supported according to their site.

smiles
November 14th, 2005, 23:22
How would you describe the performace of the DOS games/apps that you've tried on the DC?

Are the Soundblaster 16, Gravis Ultrasound and other sound cards enabled in the DC port?

Will the "dosbox.conf" be configurable and saved to the VMU? Or will it have to be edited on a PC and burned to the CD?