PDA

View Full Version : Xynth (Windows for PSP ?)

wraggster
October 14th, 2005, 23:26
Anhanguera (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3798) has released a Windows Lookalike shell for the PSP, heres the news from the coder:

I was working on a embedded windowing system (xynth), and ported to pspsdk. give a try...

what is xynth; xynth is a portable embedded windowing system, it has nearly all features that you might expect from.

I do not know if v1.0 is working, mine is v1.5. Sources are avaible on site, but source file is rather old... i`ll upload latest sources next week.

After lounching xynth please wait till desktop (blue screen will shown with icons) opens, and memory stick stops blinking. what i have is, a server that handles windows (clients), a desktop client, a taskbar client which is a child of desktop. move the mouse cursor with D-pad (X left button, O right button). and click twice on desktop icons... or, open start menu by pressing X on start menu icon. only demos are working...

Clients open as threads, and they talk to server via pipe emulation over socket emulation. I am using UDS on linux, but if there is no socket api, socket api emulation with pipe() is used. If there is no pipe, or fd.., pipe emulation with mutexes is used.
Pressing X on the left-up corner will couse the xynth to quit, or you can close xynth by pressing home button as usual.
You can resize or move any window.
One last thing, some times xynth dies becouse of memory problems... I do not understand why this is happening, becouse i am using xynth over SDL, vesa, svgalib, fbdev on linux and there is no such problem, even with valgrind (www.valgrind.org).
Excuse for my english, is not so good to write such long writings ;) Alper "anhanguera" akcan. even with valgrind (www.valgrind.org). Excuse for my english, is not so good to write such long writings ;)

Download from Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/xynth.shtml

scx0r
October 14th, 2005, 23:37
Damn this is what its about :D wooohooooo!!!! we now have some os to work on :D

ultros
October 14th, 2005, 23:45
is there a way to automatically load this (or any other) application, after switching the PSP on?

scx0r
October 14th, 2005, 23:51
i wouldnt, its a bad idea.. plus ive just tested this and it crashes a hell of alot... i guess someone has to come up with a less buggier os for us to use .

I want to see a port of X11 :) that way we can run kde etc.

Hacker3.0
October 15th, 2005, 00:16
how do you get this to work

pakkman781
October 15th, 2005, 00:32
Nice! We still need an X server, though. An X server would allow for much easier portage...

EDIT: Ouch! I've tried it now, and can't run any programs, it crashes before I get a chance. Also my mouse doesn't work hardly at all. Still a WIP tho, so no big deal...

Looks to have great promise for a port of Firefox!!! :D

BTW: What ever happened to development of Nano-X?

scx0r
October 15th, 2005, 03:22
We need an X port , VERY BADLY...

X would allow us to run a graphical interface such as KDE , GNOME AND MORE....

basicaly get god damn porting peeps, i have no idea how to port yet, but im downloading everything required as i type this...

hopefuly if you guys dont do it , i bloody will.

What would revolutionize the psp experience? a working X port for psp's kernal.. imagine it, firefox would be possible, and heck TCP/IP is based on netbsd's so probably the best idea is to port netbsd parts over to psp, more compatible.

I'm really interested in the porting of fs mount, being able to mount my hard drives over psp vise versa would kick some arse (this is old school people get on it)

God im gonna learn to do all this myself LOL

DraconumPB
October 15th, 2005, 05:27
If linux can work on an ipod, it can work on a psp.

Of course, i think that linux bricked my ipod (the bootloader stopped booting either the regular firmware or the linux firmware), so i'd suggest treading carefully, but it's still exciting.

I think I'm going to try this out. Dunno about nano-x though XD

THINKABOTIT
October 15th, 2005, 05:37
Does Anyone Know How To Install?

Smiths
October 15th, 2005, 09:27
you can't brick an ipod, you can always boot into disk mode and run the ipod updater software.
i thought i screwed up my mini with linux installations several times and just went into diskmode, made it think an older firmware was on it and "updated" with the apple software. kept all my music and settings and restored everything just fine.

Amiga
October 15th, 2005, 11:44
Does Anyone Know How To Install?

first u have to unpack it :),then its a matter of just copying over to ya psp,unless u have firmware 1.5 then u need a prog to make it v1.5 :)

Cap'n 1time
October 15th, 2005, 15:52
Just because you can get the linux kernel on an IPod does not mean your going to run an X-server. Also the day KDE and Gnome work at a reasonable speed on the PSP will be the day that pigs fly. Your more likely going to see somthing like a tweaked TWM or if were lucky icewm lite. No one has even really gotten the linux kernel to boot on the psp (with the exception of that x86 emulator that boot tiny distros of the OS). I believe your best bet is to wait on Network and more hardware support for the Mac emulator that is supporting Mac os 8 now. Also, you might even be able to boot the kernel through use of that emulator and get much better performance out of it then the current slow x86 emulators.

If anyone knows somthing and wants to give that a try, go here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61697#post61697

SoQb0nc5r
October 15th, 2005, 16:00
mine gives an eror

ArugulaZ
October 16th, 2005, 00:06
Why does everyone insist on branding every graphic user interface in the universe as "Windows?" Microsoft did NOT invent the GUI, people... it stole the idea from Apple, which in turn took the concept from the designers at Xerox.

Stop giving Bill Gates credit for a concept that was in no way his own. If this program can't run Windows programs, and isn't licensed by Microsoft, IT'S NOT WINDOWS.

JR

Cap'n 1time
October 16th, 2005, 05:08
Why does everyone insist on branding every graphic user interface in the universe as "Windows?" Microsoft did NOT invent the GUI, people... it stole the idea from Apple, which in turn took the concept from the designers at Xerox.

Stop giving Bill Gates credit for a concept that was in no way his own. If this program can't run Windows programs, and isn't licensed by Microsoft, IT'S NOT WINDOWS.

JR

ahmen. thats what ive been wanting to say.. but i respect wraggy too much to just yell it out. you could call it a Window System or just a gui.. but dont even start to compare it to windows... thats just evil.

DKNY2000
November 8th, 2005, 21:47
hi guy's

how can i Install it please ?
whitch dir i have to put the file root , psp or iso ?
do i have to unzip the file Xynth.bz2 ?

regards

DKNY2000
November 10th, 2005, 12:20
hi guy's

how can i Install it please ?
do i have to unzip the file Xynth.bz2 ?

regards
:confused: :confused: :confused:

vincesecuricor2005
November 10th, 2005, 14:18
rad the top post geezer

DKNY2000
November 10th, 2005, 19:55
hi guy's
ok i just copy it over to my psp and i my psp firmware verion is 1.5 but
do i have to unzip the file Xynth.bz2 or keep it as it's ?

regards

iball
November 10th, 2005, 20:00
Search. Installs like any other homebrew.

DKNY2000
November 10th, 2005, 22:25
vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

iball
November 11th, 2005, 00:25
vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
Search. Installs like any other homebrew.

DKNY2000
November 11th, 2005, 20:08
no matches