PDA

View Full Version : Indie stores: Ban the R4 cards

Shrygue
July 23rd, 2008, 21:32
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193845)

A number of independent games retailers have joined forces with the Entertainment Retailers Association to call for action against R4 cards.

Shop owners have claimed the prevalence of the device has cost them much needed revenue and significantly damaged sales of DS software.

"Since the appearance of these cards we have noticed a downturn in the sale of our DS games," said indie shop owner Steve Pooler to MCV. "It is frustrating as we could make decent margins on the DS. Sadly this has now been eroded with the growth of these cards."

If one were so inclined, they could buy an R4 card for around £20 from respected online retailers, and then illegally download games for nothing. In comparison, DS games can cost £29.99 each.

Unsurprisingly, the ERA isn't happy about that. Representative Kim Bayley said: "We expected that the piracy suffered by movies and music would make its way to games, and it's something we all need to get a grip on.

"The industry needs to be on its toes and take advantage of the digital models already in place."

Kulawend
July 23rd, 2008, 21:59
Perhaps they are suffering a loss of sales not because of the R4, but because of the lack of money most people seem to have lately. With the rising gas prices, I really don't have a bunch of cash to buy video games with.

anteopimp
July 23rd, 2008, 23:46
actually Kulawend, in Britain the gas prices are fairly low, much lower than in US/CAN. And people never price video games and gas together, its definatly because of the R4.

iofthestorm
July 24th, 2008, 07:19
actually Kulawend, in Britain the gas prices are fairly low, much lower than in US/CAN. And people never price video games and gas together, its definatly because of the R4.

Nah british prices are still far above US prices, but I don't think they've been increasing as much. The US had some of the cheapest gas outside of oil producing countries before. But I do think that recessions are only part of the drop in sales, although it can also be blamed on bad quality of games too. But a recession definitely has an effect, maybe not for you but for people who are just barely keeping up with their monthly expenses, if they don't get as much income they will have to cut nonessentials first, and games are part of that.

policrat
July 24th, 2008, 07:42
I can only call flash devices genuine competition in a free market, which take on board the good and bad beyond perfectly legal manufacture and supply. If retailers don't like them then don't stock them. Lines like:

"It is frustrating as we could make decent margins on the DS"

Only confirm this. Whether the flash devices exist or not, retailers will still try and ream the customer for every penny, and undermine the industry through the 2nd-hand market. That means 60-70 dollar DS games, or 100 dollar console games (Oz market, ~US dollar). Metal Gear Solid 4 retails for 130 dollars. Until the R4 team start supplying Nintendo proprietary software, it's just something both the industry and retailers have to work around (i.e., ongoing software security measures), or directly compete with (i.e., better prices, material quality). Start packing in artwork and other extraneous or important material (not "Limited/Special Editions") that both contribute to the game and make life interesting for the piracy scene.

wiggy fuzz
July 24th, 2008, 10:58
simple solutions: ban the internet.

most of what game retailers stock is very expensive drivel aimed at the impressionable young minds of children.

i spend more time waiting for decent games to appear than i actually spend on games, for that matter... plus i can't even get my hands on demo's at my local toysrus, either.

Steely
July 24th, 2008, 21:21
So they're banning the R4 at these stores, hmm?

Well, it doesn't seem they care about the other flash cards.

PX1296
July 25th, 2008, 00:01
Apparently, Nintendo have taken action themselves against the R4 by making recently manufactured DS's unable to run them through some method I don't exactly know.

I believe, to bypass this, you need to open up the R4 card itself, and mess around with it. Luckily, I bought my DS before Nintendo started doing this, so I don't have this problem, but other people will.

There's still other flashcards that Nintendo don't seem to even know the existence of, such as the M3, SuperCard and others.

Don't use those to play illegally download games though, only use them to run homebrew software or Nintendo will start proofing their DS's against those as well.

EDIT: I think it might just be in America that Nintendo have done this. I again, don't know.

Omega_2
July 25th, 2008, 01:44
The problem the US is facing is the falling dollar, politics, energy stupidity, home market value, and employment racism. I'm without a job, and it's becoming progressively more difficult to get a job anywhere. My family is also struggling because of the cost of food prices is starting to heighten, all due to the pricing of 'gas'. If the US wasn't as stupid as it is, we would have more hybrid cars, all electric, or higher efficiency vehicles. If the R4 is being made cheaply, then Nintendo needs to follow that example and lower its prices, and perhaps drop games that flop, instead of promoting the crap out of them. For the last time Nintendo, I didn't like nintendogs!

mattsaysfooey
July 25th, 2008, 05:30
I agree with omega i would buy games if i had the money.

policrat
July 25th, 2008, 07:21
simple solutions: ban the internet.

most of what game retailers stock is very expensive drivel aimed at the impressionable young minds of children.

i spend more time waiting for decent games to appear than i actually spend on games, for that matter...

That too; horrid commercial output that fools people less and less. Even parents. But you know, DS publishers/retailers have bullshit to peddle and they're angry it's not working so well. I guess they'd describe try-before-you-buy as a form of misinformation (and naughty, furthermore).

On that note, my DS has become a full time ebook reader (thank you, DSLibris), even with 9000 stolen games clogging up the interwebs. In their drive to ban flash cards, by insinuation retailers don't want kids reading 19th century classics, spread the news.

Spidery_Yoda
July 25th, 2008, 12:46
£29.99 is too much for what a DS game offers, pure and simple.

I have 12 bought DS games in the first year or so of having my DS, and I think I got my moneys worth out of about 2 of them (Advance Wars: DS and Mario Kart: DS). I realised how much money was being utterly wasted on the DS and stopped buying the games completely.

They are too expensive for what they are. If they were £20 or £15 (the US cost) then I'd probably still be buying them. But they're not and I don't have money to waste.

Me buying an R4 made no impact on my game buying. I'd not bought a DS game for about a year before I got the R4, and i've not bought one in the year since buying the R4.

The game retailers need to stop blaming other things for their stupidly high prices. For the record the only thing I use my R4 for these days is jEnesis DS.

dm1983
July 25th, 2008, 22:55
Nah british prices are still far above US prices, but I don't think they've been increasing as much. The US had some of the cheapest gas outside of oil producing countries before.

Petrol, or as you guys call it, gas, is around $2.50 per LITRE here.

vicious1988
July 25th, 2008, 23:18
I have 2 DS games, SM64DS and the Metroid demo. My first-gen DS hangs out with my GBA games for the most part, that's the cool crowd.

To the guy that wants to give N hell over Nintendogs, I totally agree. Although I have to admit it was an interesting little tech demo for about 5 minutes.

mattsaysfooey
July 26th, 2008, 05:28
litre = liter? there is 3.78 liters a gallon 2.50 times 3.78 is 9.45 if so that is over double our gas prices in the US. Is that correct?

Jebus.
We around 4 dollars a gallon back and fourth but around that price right now.

sepro
July 26th, 2008, 08:56
litre = liter? there is 3.78 liters a gallon 2.50 times 3.78 is 9.45 if so that is over double our gas prices in the US. Is that correct?

Jebus.
We around 4 dollars a gallon back and fourth but around that price right now.

Yup that price (2.5 dollar) is about the price you pay per liter here in Belgium too.