PDA

View Full Version : Bushing News- xyzzy Released

wraggster
July 24th, 2008, 01:01
Bushing (http://hackmii.com/2008/07/xyzzy/) is back with a new release for the Wii Homebrew scene:

This isn’t the prettiest code I’ve ever written — it doesn’t have much of an interface, and I just threw this release together in a few minutes. However, it’s been exceedingly useful to me, and hopefully some of you will find it useful, too. I’ll quote the README here:

This program will do the following, automatically:

Download IOS11 from the Nintendo Update Server
Patch it to remove the MEM2 protection (so the PPC can access all 64MB of it)
Patch it to allow it to delete itself later using ES_DeleteTitle()
Find an unused IOS slot (counting downward from IOS255)
Install the hacked IOS11 there
Reboot into the hacked IOS
Copy the private key structure from the IOS address space into MEM1
Reboot back into a sane IOS
Delete the temporary, hacked IOS
Display the keys on screen
Try to write them to a file on the SD card — keys.txt
Pause for 60 seconds to allow you to copy the keys down using pen and paper,if necessary
I wrote this a week or two after I killed a Wii trying to reproduce tmbinc’s original Tweezer Hack. May it rest in peace.

The first version of this code just used a patched version of IOS, which was an ugly hack. It’s still an ugly hack, but at least it no longer contains copyrighted code. You should only really need to run it once on any given Wii, but it should be safe to run as much as you want. If nothing else, it demonstrates the kinds of ways you can use PatchMii_core to do something useful (as opposed to just running it and then packaging the result up as cIOS).

(c) 2008 bushing / hackmii.com

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

Maggifixxx
July 24th, 2008, 07:33
I don't know if I should use this tool.
Why did he release it right AFTER he found a nice bug on how to run pirated games on the Wii?
Oh well....
But I need my console Keys, too.
They could help me to recover my photos I have on my NAND.

sheridan2000
July 24th, 2008, 12:20
And what does this do in English???? LOL

dahun
July 24th, 2008, 14:32
gets ur wiikey.bin witch is used for.....piracy? so backing up a game=bad getting a prog to run hax vc and dl wii games=good????? u confuse me wrag

TVarmy
July 24th, 2008, 18:55
So, this is what's used for Virtual Console game piracy? Is there any practical homebrew use to this? I don't really care for downloading VC or WiiWare games illegally, because I'm frankly not that enthusiastic about them compared to the homebrew emus. Rom injection sounds neat, but I'm too lazy for that. I already installed homebrew channel, and all I need to do is put the rom in the right folder.

Could this be part of his running unsigned DVD thingy, which he apparently won't be releasing?

____anders____
July 24th, 2008, 19:45
it sounds like it is, what would happen if we used our own key whe we trucha sign a disc?

dahun
July 24th, 2008, 21:58
it sounds like it is, what would happen if we used our own key whe we trucha sign a disc?

as long as u make ur own backup and only 1 to keep for ureself ur leagul

Dbgtgoten
July 24th, 2008, 23:29
Look this isn't only so you can do piracy with these keys you can do various things on the WII such as unlocking the SD Slot , The NAND for recovery purposes, modifying boot2 to create that recovery program, and other numerous things.

http://hackmii.com/2008/04/keys-keys-keys

TVarmy
July 25th, 2008, 13:59
Okay, let's not dwell on the legality/ethics of backups. I figure so long as you bought the game, you have the right to use one copy of it at once, meaning that you can make a backup for yourself, and only run one of your copies at a time. Other people have different views.

Is this technically possible to make backups of your own games?

kiariki
July 25th, 2008, 14:26
Does this hack your Wii's firmware?

I'm still confused over this release... You can run it from the Homebrew Channel, correct?