PDA

View Full Version : Which of these you want to see emulated first in neo4all?

1stvinicius
October 17th, 2005, 21:12
Here's the list of games that doesn't work properly or doesn't work at all:

Art of Fighting 1 <- I want this emulated!!!

Neo Drift Out

Samurai Shodown RPG

Stakes Winner

Super Sidekicks 2

Super Sidekicks 3

Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

which of these do you prefer?

Squaresoft74
October 18th, 2005, 14:55
None! :p
Imo higher priority should go for proper support of original discs which is curently missing (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8044).
It's nice to emulate hacked/rebuilt iso/mp3 NeoGeoCD games but isn't an emulator's main goal to accuratly emulate the original hardware / softwares ? ;)

If the curent compatibility list is based on iso/mp3 rebuilt games , then it's far to reflect the true compatibility when we're talking about emulating original games.

1stvinicius
October 18th, 2005, 15:05
Well, that list above is based on chui's list posted in his site so.... :rolleyes:

Squaresoft74
October 18th, 2005, 15:15
So it doesn't reflect the true compatibility list regarding original discs usage. ;)

- 3 Count Bout / Fire Supplex
- Aero Fighters 2 / Sonic Wings 2
- Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3
- Art of Fighting 3 / Ryuuko no Ken Gaiden
- Cyber Lip
- Fatal Fury Special / Garou Densetsu Special
- Last Resort
- Real Bout Fatal Fury Special / Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special
- Robo Army
- Samurai Shodown / Samurai Spirits
- Samurai Shodown 2 / Shin Samurai Spirits
- The King of Fighters '95
- The King of Fighters '96

These don't work in their original form
What is listed as working on Chui's site is their iso/mp3 hacked/rebuit form so the list doesn't reflect reality atm.

1stvinicius
October 18th, 2005, 15:49
None! :p
Imo higher priority should go for proper support of original discs which is curently missing (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8044).
It's nice to emulate...

Ok. Since you have a dedicated site to Neogeo cds' and nec's cds TOC (table of contents, just in case you think i dont know whats that about...) i would ask you this:
Does a CDR, that work in emulators with full CDDA, will work on the real machine too? Cause if the answer is yes then we should start dropping those originals into the trash basket... :cool:

Squaresoft74
October 18th, 2005, 16:00
Proper 1/1 backups will yes work in a real NeoGeoCD system.
Depending on how you're backing up copy protected games, you may also additionaly need to patch the data track to remove the copy protection.

I've attached an interesting tutorial made by FAKK2 which will give you deeper details about copy protected games.

1stvinicius
October 18th, 2005, 16:13
Proper 1/1 backups will yes work in a real NeoGeoCD system.
mm.. nice. But by reading your answer i can come to one of these statements:
1)youre saying that a fully working game on an emu may be a non 1/1 copy.

or

2)you didnt read my post right

the question still remains: A "full-emu-working copy" of a game
will be a "full-console-working" game?
example: I have a samurai shodown 2 in cdr and it is working fine with cdda on neo4all and neocd and on pc emus. Will it work with cdda on a real neo cd console?

Squaresoft74
October 18th, 2005, 16:24
If it's a proper backup yes.
If it isn't, well all you can do is try and see.
I don't have any cristal ball. :)

Emulators are more tolerant regarding copy protected games.
I'm assuming that is because all of the bios hardware functions aren't fully emulated.

If a non proper protected unpatched game backup will work with an emulator it may not with on the real hardware because of the copy protection (for example because of the missing sub-channel infos).

obelisk
October 18th, 2005, 18:54
i want the aes/ mvs emulated. that'll cover art of fighting.

quzar
October 18th, 2005, 19:35
Why wait to play Samurai Spirits RPG and Super Sidekicks 3 on the Dreamcast?

1stvinicius
October 18th, 2005, 21:36
Why wait to play Samurai Spirits RPG and Super Sidekicks 3 on the Dreamcast?
You mean one is in japanese so it doesnt worth the wait and the other is a soccer game nd because of that it doesnt worth too? Or youre saying that we can play it on pc? :confused:

quzar
October 19th, 2005, 10:17
well... i was kind of trying to point out that both work in neodc. also, samurai spirits rpg runs in neo4all (last i heard) it just takes an ungodly amount of time to load (like 10 minutes or so). super sidekicks 3 should also run, the only problem last time i checked was since raster effects are not emulated, the audience is not visible.

Christuserloeser
October 19th, 2005, 18:09
It's nice to emulate hacked/rebuilt iso/mp3 NeoGeoCD games but isn't an emulator's main goal to accuratly emulate the original hardware / softwares ? ;)

If the curent compatibility list is based on iso/mp3 rebuilt games , then it's far to reflect the true compatibility when we're talking about emulating original games.

It got nothing to do with accuracy/compatiblilty or anything. Some/most original NeoGeoCDs use a special 'hardware' copy protection on the discs (you'll notice that all of those have a small ring on the inner circle of the disc), that will prevent the Dreamcast's GDROM drive to read the discs.

I think there's not much we can do against it, except to use backups of our original games.

Squaresoft74
October 19th, 2005, 18:36
Sorry but i'm 100% sure the no disc in drive error is because of the file systems used by some games.
As i pointed to Quzar already in a private discussion, the same error will occur with a proper backup made from one of these non working original discs and since there is no hardware protections on cdrs , that increases my suspicions even more regarding the file system.

If you own an original disc that gives the error, just make a proper backup of it and see yourself it still won't be read by the emulator while you can access all tracks via the DC cd players without a problem , just like with the original one.

quzar
October 19th, 2005, 23:40
He's absolutely right. I was however able to get the Dreamcast to read an image from one of these discs via CDFS redirection, with thickens the mystery even more.

Untill I can get my hands on some games like this though, there is very little that I can do. (actually even then, the best way would be something like get two copies of the same game that certain versions have or don't have protection such as Double Dragon).

Christuserloeser
October 21st, 2005, 20:44
Okay then. Thanks to both of you for your work on figuring this out! We never got this far to find the real problem that's causing this.

dhowerter
December 5th, 2005, 05:22
Ok , I'm a tad confused ..

Does Neo4ALL let you play ANY *original* Neo CD games on the Dreamcast?

How about simple (non hacked) backups?

What is the most current version of neo4all?

ALso, since there are some Dreamcasts that can play backups (for example: a backup of a Dreamcast game) and some that CAN NOT read backups (the latter can't read CDs only GD-Roms)

So I would assume that a backup of a neo cd game could NOT be read by a DC that does NOT read CDs /only GD-roms.

However, would that same DC be able to read a ORIGINAL Neo CD game? I mean a original Neo CD game is a CD NOT a GD-Rom, so that DC shouldn't be ABLE to read it at all, right?

(BTW the above questions -after the *** ;-) are talking about the Dreamcast's ability itself to read discs, nothing to do with the emulator directly)

quzar
December 5th, 2005, 07:36
I'ts a moot question because a Dreamcast that couldn't read a CD wouldn't be able to read the emulator disc.

Squaresoft74
December 5th, 2005, 11:25
Does Neo4ALL let you play ANY *original* Neo CD games on the Dreamcast?

No it curently doesn't because of what has been mentionned in previous posts.

How about simple (non hacked) backups?

Same as above.