PDA

View Full Version : DVD Access Library (no modchip required)

wraggster
July 27th, 2008, 20:55
Heres some awesome news for the Homebrew Scene and shame on Nintendo for not taking Bushings warning seriously

Heres the full details from Marcan (http://hackmii.com/2008/07/dvd-access-library-no-modchip-required/) who is a member of the Twilight Hack Team:

Note: this is not a backup loader, in any way, shape, or form. If you’re looking for a backup loader, please move along.

While Nintendo did reply to bushing’s open letter, he has not succeeded in establishing a conversation with an engineer about the issue. Furthermore, we have learned that they received and read at least two of the original three e-mails that were sent prior to the open letter, and decided not to reply (in fact, one of their replies was to one of the original e-mails, but only after the open letter was posted). Therefore, we can only conclude that they are not very interested in the issue.

As many of you may already know or have deduced, the bug in our open letter referred to a way of reading DVD-Rs (and Video DVDs) without the use of a modchip. Several people have investigated the bug independently, and they’ve gotten pretty close. However, we did discover an easier way of enabling this mode from homebrew, which, among other things, does not require any changes to IOS at all. This method is also relatively difficult to transform into some sort of backup loader.

Erant has been developing a library that uses this trick to enable DVD access for homebrew. We hope to release it this coming week, after a few details have been polished. svpe and dhewg have been working on a native mplayer port that uses this library to play back DVDs, which we hope to release as a proof-of-concept together with the library. We also have DVD-loading versions of snes9x and Genplus.

Non-modchip users will not need a custom IOS. Ironically, this method doesn’t work for users of some modchips. Therefore, these users will require a patched IOS using the well-known UnencryptedRead patch (the library will automatically use it if needed). We’ll try to release a somewhat more user-friendly version of patchmii dedicated to this task together with the library.

Bring on Homebrew with DVD Loading :)

Safari Al
July 27th, 2008, 21:09
hmm, this sounds like it could be a pretty big hit in the wii scene ;)

wraggster
July 27th, 2008, 21:12
yeah lets hope the pirates dont knacker things up, Marcan and bushing were basically forced to do this because of others.

Very interesting for homebrew however

Solidsnake3000
July 28th, 2008, 09:23
I don't blame them for not making wii run backups because if they did nintendo will focus on how to stop piracy rather than help the wii get better.

whYeNQue
July 28th, 2008, 10:30
cool...
"This method is also relatively difficult to transform into some sort of backup loader."

but if that was the case, why didnt they release it earlier? i have a feeling that the waltz that they danced with nintendo was really to keep themselves covered...

anyway, i can't wait to use it as a media player!

w4aqar
July 28th, 2008, 12:19
Its only gonna be a few days when a ISO loader gonna be released

Stalkid64
July 28th, 2008, 13:16
Uh... bushing talked to Nintendo because they were acting responsibly with serious information. It had nothing whatsoever to do with "covering their asses just in case" - to the best of my memory that never even came up once as a factor. So let's just let that myth stay on the likes of gbat*** where it belongs.

Secondly... nothing is forcing anyone to do anything. I don't know where that impression has mistakenly come from, but I can assure you it is basically utter crap. If they wanted to release something, they could have done so - probably long before you even knew about it. They already released the information first - what exactly is the supposed race for now, considering that..?

Just because idiots like Waninkoko release half-baked apps the minute they can spot a new function from Patchmii to "borrow" doesn't mean these guys are any more obliged to do so asap. It was after all *their* discovery already. Much as 99.99% of the real worthwhile tricks so far found have been. They really don't need to resort to speedy credit-grabbing tricks. There is no "race to beat others". Clearly they already did so. Without this info they already released, people would still be wandering around in random directions hoping to bump into the right thing like they have been for the last week or two.

Mini Moose
July 28th, 2008, 19:36
Bravo, Stalkid64! Very well said. [:

whYeNQue
July 28th, 2008, 22:10
ok fair enough... anyway, i never really go to the gbat*** place.

sheridan2000
July 29th, 2008, 19:09
whats gbat***??

masterchief929
July 29th, 2008, 20:09
Uh... bushing talked to Nintendo because they were acting responsibly with serious information. It had nothing whatsoever to do with "covering their asses just in case" - to the best of my memory that never even came up once as a factor. So let's just let that myth stay on the likes of gbat*** where it belongs.

Secondly... nothing is forcing anyone to do anything. I don't know where that impression has mistakenly come from, but I can assure you it is basically utter crap. If they wanted to release something, they could have done so - probably long before you even knew about it. They already released the information first - what exactly is the supposed race for now, considering that..?

Just because idiots like Waninkoko release half-baked apps the minute they can spot a new function from Patchmii to "borrow" doesn't mean these guys are any more obliged to do so asap. It was after all *their* discovery already. Much as 99.99% of the real worthwhile tricks so far found have been. They really don't need to resort to speedy credit-grabbing tricks. There is no "race to beat others". Clearly they already did so. Without this info they already released, people would still be wandering around in random directions hoping to bump into the right thing like they have been for the last week or two.

i could not possibly agree more. wat a first post too.