PDA

View Full Version : Sony exec on vid iPod: What, me worried?

wraggster
October 18th, 2005, 21:07
In a BBC TV interview last week, Sony Chief Executive Producer Phil Harrison put on a brave face and announced that Sony isn’t concerned about Apple’s new video iPod. Quote: “No, we’re not worried.”

If it weren’t just necessary bravado (executives aren’t allowed to admit to being afraid or needing their comfy blankies), we might be inclined to believe him. As it stands, though, the new iPod could put a serious crimp in Sony’s plans to sell the PSP as anything other than a portable gaming device.

Here’s a quick comparison of the two products from the video playback angle only:

Resolution: iPod 320x240; PSP 480x272 (advantage: PSP)
Storage: iPod 30GB and 60GB; PSP memory sticks up to 4GB (advantage: iPod)
Commerce: iPod video store uses familiar iTunes interface; PSP lacks video store or central video clearinghouse of any sort (advantage: iPod)
Usability: getting video onto iPod is part of the product design; PSP requires third-party compression software and technical know-how (advantage: iPod)
Portability: iPod weighs 4.8 and 5.5 ounces; PSP weighs 9.17 ounces (advantage: iPod)
Operation: iPod is made for one-hand operation; PSP requires two hands (advantage: iPod)
What we’re really hoping is that the iPod creates within Sony an urgency that will allow the PSP’s product designers to ditch technologies that are holding the console back and push through changes that have been shot down in the past for political reasons. The good folks at Sony know what’s required for the PSP to compete with the iPod, but political considerations and warring internal factions can result in compromises that cripple product popularity.

Mental2k
October 20th, 2005, 11:01
You also forgot brand recognition, the iPod is better known product out of geek circles, know what I'm sayin.

Cap'n 1time
October 20th, 2005, 19:32
You also forgot brand recognition, the iPod is better known product out of geek circles, know what I'm sayin.

Im not sure what you mean by that.. but I would think the PSP would be the "geekier" product. Alot of people, male, female, young, and old own some kind of ipod. This is just speculation but The majority of PSP owners are most likely young and male.

If instead by "geek" you mean "intellegent people" then I would agree because more people are going to concider a Video/Audio Media-device with much more storage at a more reasonable price. Not only that, but as Sony tries to market the PSP as a game-device people who seek some kind of handheld media player are more then likely going to jump all over the ipod.

I think that whoever asked these questions didnt think about what they were asking.. Obviously your going to choose a 5 gig+ Ipod over a PSP with limited storage, codecs, and CUSTOMIZATION (sony bastards) any day of the week.. unless your a sony executive... or really stupid.

Whoever wrote this article sounds like the kind of reporter that would go to E3 and ask where the booth for PacMan is located.