PDA

View Full Version : PSP Touchscreen ?

wraggster
July 28th, 2008, 18:52
Jube808 has posted a video on the net showing the PSP With a Touchscreen, heres the video, judge for yourself;

http://www.youtube.com/v/1s4X61PYMKU

News via cid2mizard (http://www.dev-fr.org/index.php?topic=3611.0)

Buddy4point0
July 28th, 2008, 19:25
Pretty cool, although pointless because no programs (that he doesn't make) will support it.

stevo11185
July 28th, 2008, 20:17
Well this is very verty possible that all it is is a touchscreen that has been put on the psp just to make himself look big. I doubt it will be able to connect to the psp and interact with it at all (just a seperate device)

Looks kinda fake

oooooomonkeys
July 28th, 2008, 21:10
im not to sure of the point of this?
i'd just use my ds if i wanted a touch screen

Buddy4point0
July 28th, 2008, 21:14
Well this is very verty possible that all it is is a touchscreen that has been put on the psp just to make himself look big. I doubt it will be able to connect to the psp and interact with it at all (just a seperate device)

Looks kinda fake

Even if it is real, It really doesn't matter because nobody's gonna make anything that supports it.

sPod
July 28th, 2008, 21:44
i dunno. i think its cool, even if there is no point

Safari Al
July 28th, 2008, 21:52
Even if it is real, It really doesn't matter because nobody's gonna make anything that supports it.

He made a thread over on another forum asking developers if they wanted to develop for it. Quite a large amount of people said yes.

alanparker05
July 28th, 2008, 23:05
I know that sony put in a patent for one of the new tactile touch screens which has buttons under the screen to give the feeling of physical key presses so i think the only usefull thing to come from devs making homebrew for it is for sony to get an idea of what's possible and whether we really want one

pspmodel1001
July 28th, 2008, 23:19
I could use that for Pilot Academy, using the anologe stick is too sensitive.

It'll be cool if it would come out, but video seems fake.

carlitx
July 28th, 2008, 23:22

Looks kinda fake

agreed

dragoncurse10
July 28th, 2008, 23:28
Gotta say it is pretty cool that it's touch screen but ummm to me it sort of look like a brick psp with a mini touch screen on top of it I do hope this come out. I'm sure it will be something even sony might take interest. Maybe it'll be good for browsing and other stuff

NoQuarter
July 28th, 2008, 23:39
Very interesting, there was some similar work some time ago...

I'd love to see this taken further and with a high rate of adoption.Personally I'd buy it or mod it myself.

acn010
July 28th, 2008, 23:59
yes... psptouchme
I was part of it but there was a lack of money to manufacture a prototype so it was cancelled. it was suppose to be a usb attaching thing with a costume prx.. it was never done..

Strongbadunit2
July 29th, 2008, 01:05
Looks real to me I mean you actually think he memorized where to put the figure? Or do you think its a DS screen that was taken apart and put over the psp to make is seem fake?

If this is real I could see in the future the maker mass producing them and selling them and they could be easily put into the USB mini B port. Or you could send him the psp and he could do it for you. Similar to the motion plugin for the PSP. :thumbup:

Can't wait to see what happens I remember some time ago theis was attempted but got no where I think it was fake. :( I hope this is real! :)

acn010
July 29th, 2008, 01:11
read what I posted before

masterchief929
July 29th, 2008, 01:14
it kinda looks fake but kinda looks real. i think it would be cool if sony would actually release a psp with touchscreen capabilities. like psp touch or something would be really cool.

robotdevil
July 29th, 2008, 01:29
If you think about it, the screen needs to be on top of the PSP. And to whoever said this was a DS screen, there's no way. A DS screen is a 4:3 aspect ratio and this is definately the 16:9 that the PSP runs. My guess is that this is a custom made screen that is connected to the USB adapter or a proprietary connection made inside using a flat ribbon cable. But as I said earlier it needs to be on top thanks the the PSP's protective shell. Unlike most hand-held devices you are not touching the PSP's screen directly (anyone who modded the D-Pad of their PSP can attest to this). So while it is a cool idea, the implementation of it would remove one of the safeguards that has protected the PSP's delicate screen. Also, I'm not sure a touch screen can match the PSP's resolution (in dpi that is). And as far as nobody but him developing for it, that's kind of a crazy notion on a homebrew site. How many have coded for LUA? Just the creator? Most probably when he gets this nailed down there will be a SDK released for it. At least we can hope there is.

acn010
July 29th, 2008, 01:44
there is a touchscreen for that psp screen so this may be real... ill link up the piece later in the future

Strongbadunit2
July 29th, 2008, 05:21
its true there is a long topic in the qj forums and it seems to be legit at least to Freeplay an some other top coders.

pibs
July 29th, 2008, 07:42
fake or not, atleast its managed to spark up interest in the scene again.

i hope this gets somewhere, im willing to mod.

downloaddownload
July 29th, 2008, 09:43
The only thing that makes a touchscreen is the digitizer. The hard part is getting it to work on the motherboard. Not to difficult to make a program to work for it. It would be perfect for the GPS if it were mapped to the analog cursor.

cal360
July 29th, 2008, 11:13
I believe this maybe real, but I'd like to see this implemeted inside the PSP first before I can really say whether it's worth getting hyped up about.

cdc1991
July 29th, 2008, 18:40
I think this is real and very exciting. It may or may not be a variation of Johnny Chung Lee's impressive project using a Wiimote to make cheap interactive whiteboards (vids on youtube and lots can be found on Google). I think lots of devs can use this, like some used motion sensitivity and still do. Nice one!:)

discombobulated
July 29th, 2008, 20:28
I'm still waiting for Sony to make this PSP:

http://nukoda.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/iwish-01.jpg

pspmodel1001
July 29th, 2008, 21:40
Great picture but, where do you plug in the charger? Haha.

Kane_F
August 7th, 2008, 00:40
Back in 2007, a company named NAVIsys announced a device that would turn an ordinary lcd/tft screen into touchscreen, simply by attaching it to the side of a screen.
So in theory, making a similar thing for a psp is possible. A plugin translating input for psp would be required, but that would be the easy part.
Although using it with a gps software would be great, we should not forget that both gps and 'touchscreen' attachment will require power from psp, and the usb port most probably will not sufficient enough. So the usability would be quite limited, at least till someone thinks of a neat walkthrough around this.

But back to the point: technically it is possible to give psp a touchscreen capability, without openning the case, soldering etc.

http://www.navisis.com/ENGLISH/03_pro/img/pro_03_03_01_top.gif