PDA

View Full Version : Tsukihi Minti Demo v1.1

wraggster
October 19th, 2005, 07:44
The Lucifer Corporation (http://lu.obkt.com/) have released an early demo of their puzzle game for the PSP.

More info and downloads here -> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/TsukihiMinti.shtml

Psyberjock
October 20th, 2005, 02:48
Has anyone else tried this?

Well, here's a quick review of the game, and I just want to let you know that I support homebrew completely and I don't like flaming, I just want to make some points.

What's the deal with this being a "Demo" which doesn't include the final level or something like that? If that is allusion to having to purchase this game then I'm afraid they're not going to make much money. Not because we're all scammers or they're not talented programmers; we're not scammers and they are talented programmers. But all in all, this game is boring. The game play is slow and pointless. Here's the deal:

You can choose one of two characters with the idea of pushing monsters into the walls of this square room by moving the floor they are walking on. One character is slow and pushes hard, the other is fast and is quite wussy.

The first level has 2 monsters that attack with all the ferocity of walking mushrooms, which they are. The next level has 3 mushrooms, but this time one is a different color! I won't tell you which color because that would ruin the surprise. The next level has 5 monsters and I didn't get past the 3rd level for a few reasons, which I'll describe as well as the fact that I just got too bored to keep playing.

The game play suffers primarily from the method of pushing. You see the floor slide as you press the push key. All fine and dandy until the monster that is on the floor you are pushing gets really close. Then even if he is on the proper floor, he doesn't get pushed. This is ok until the 3rd level where you get swamped with monsters and you're trying to lure them to the wall and then push them into it at the last moment but then find out that last moment pushes don't work. Also if you manage to get inbetween squares it can look like you are on one row but then you push a different row. That's also more bothersome than helpful. My high score in 15 minutes of playing was 2400 points. I think that's killing 3 monsters on level 3 (something close to that anyway).

A second bit of suffering in the game is the music. It sounds like some old halloween music of a vampire's castle. It doesn't really fit the atmosphere of a room full of mushrooms, even if they are killer mushrooms.

The last thing I noticed that was slightly annoying was the final screen after you die. Its basically just a credits screen, but it has a pause imposed upon it and you can't make it go away quickly even if you've read it a thousand times and have all the groups names and websites tatooed on your chest or other more private areas. Considering how easy it is to game over (yes even with 3 lives and the flashing rebirth thingy), this screen really puts a cramp in your progression.

Now for some good points: The graphics are good for homebrew; although they are only original Nintendo quality with a few more colors. This being a first release but they already included 2 characters with different abilities. This showed a bit of foresight and the desire to increase some of the playability. I like the little knife slash that the fast character does when she is selected for play, but unfortunately I think this is the only time she does it.

So once more, all in all this game is boring and not something I would pay for after playing the "Demo." This really depressed me for two reasons: 1. Sony has so far released a crappy software lineup with the PSP and since I am a homebrew fan they are further removing me from their buying base by trying so hard to get me to update my PSP to a non-homebrew firmware. This game does not help the homebrew side of the game war with Sony. 2. I really like the Japanese homebrew scene, but I must say, they really have dropped the ball with the PSP. In the beginning, it was all Japan, wiki was releasing things like mad and life was good for us go betweeners. Then the rest of the world started up and Japan took a long siesta. I thought maybe this game would be the part of the comeback, but now I hope its just the part immediately before the comeback. :(

Again, I love Japan and homebrew and my intention is not flaming, I just wanted to provide a review of constructive criticism. I know homebrew can be dramatic at times and everyone seems to be pretty sensitive so I hope none of my comments are too hurtful to anyone involved with the project and I wish the best of luck to you in the future.