PDA

View Full Version : NullDC PSP Videos - Dreamcast Emulator for PSP

wraggster
July 29th, 2008, 02:26
Ok im not smoking anything but our very own drkIIRaziel who occasionally hangs in our Chatroom (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/vbjirc/vbjirc.php) has been working on a Dreamcast emulator for PSP.

Now unless im very well mistaken theres not a chance in hell that full speed or even playable is possible but we all live in hope

Check out the videos via Comments

wraggster
July 29th, 2008, 02:26
nullDC/PSP 28-7-2008 (SOTB;INGAME;SLOW)

http://www.youtube.com/v/EvloAQbRZZk

wraggster
July 29th, 2008, 02:28
nullDC PSP raw recording

" Demonstration video showing nullDC running on PSP. No textures, no depth management and no sound at the moment. GD-ROM emulation is not quite done either so no games boot yet.

Note that it's also running on interpreter so it's quite slow.

Hey! It's work in progress so don't complain just yet ;) "

Just wanted to show a direct recording of nullDC PSP.

http://www.youtube.com/v/KIvJlNrrdLo

wraggster
July 29th, 2008, 02:29
nullDC PSP Build 7-26-08

Now with basic texture support and slight speed improvement!

http://www.youtube.com/v/368PNiIePug

wraggster
July 29th, 2008, 02:30
nullDC PSP Build 7-27-08 -=Shenmue=-

nullDC Build 7-27-08

Improved texture support and game booting

Game being boot: Shenmue

Note: RAW captures are a little bit faster than normal... also i i took out about 20-30 min. of loading. ( That was between starting the new game and beginning of intro cinematic. )

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ix9huu4k5Qo

indstr
July 29th, 2008, 03:19
Why ??? Please tell me why ... This is the biggest waste of time anybody has ever spent their time on ...

Please give me your free time, I will put it to good use

jarshale
July 29th, 2008, 03:34
Lol for emulation dont you need twice the speed of the original system? I read that somewhere. In any case the psp doesnt have near enough cpu speed and ram

jrsmaster411
July 29th, 2008, 03:39
I think I heard him say his goal si not to get full speed so I don't know what he hopes to accomplish with this but it's still interesting and can't wait to see a release

uipe
July 29th, 2008, 03:46
well some ppl just try to do things to see how it goes and dreamcast has a lot of cool games that shouldn't use half its power so I dont see how it would be impossible to emulate those. of course I dont see any full 3d dreamcast game being run at playable speed, but cant see why the 2d fighting games or the shoot em ups cant.

just my 2cents.

And GZ for the hard work! :thumbup:

JKKDARK
July 29th, 2008, 03:50
I really can't believe it's happeing

Napalm-Death
July 29th, 2008, 04:16
I really can't believe it's happeing

Neither can I...

I WISH IT WOULD RUN AT FULL SPEED!

PSPdemon
July 29th, 2008, 04:18
Why ??? Please tell me why ... This is the biggest waste of time anybody has ever spent their time on ...

Please give me your free time, I will put it to good use

as a quote from PsyMan

3. The goal of the project is not to just port the emu to PSP but to make a rewrite targeting various embedded environments apart from PSP.

-----------------

I think I heard him say his goal si not to get full speed so I don't know what he hopes to accomplish with this but it's still interesting and can't wait to see a release

above quote ;)

Lol for emulation dont you need twice the speed of the original system? I read that somewhere. In any case the psp doesnt have near enough cpu speed and ram

well some ppl just try to do things to see how it goes and dreamcast has a lot of cool games that shouldn't use half its power so I dont see how it would be impossible to emulate those. of course I dont see any full 3d dreamcast game being run at playable speed, but cant see why the 2d fighting games or the shoot em ups cant.

just my 2cents.

And GZ for the hard work!

Please do note this...

Even without a single optimization nullDC runs at 10% of full speed on interpreter mode.

i think thats something to talk about.... 10% full speed without a single optimization and on interpreter mode? now thats priceless!

i think we will see a very fruitful dc emu on psp... i believe in drkIIRaziels work. :)

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

pbucch
July 29th, 2008, 04:34
I believe.

juiceface
July 29th, 2008, 05:01
awesome

PoorKingz
July 29th, 2008, 05:03
Playing the Sonic Adventure series on PSP was always something I wanted to do. Of course there's a small chance of that happening. Wish Sega would just port SADX and SA2B. They would be perfect for PSP.

Strongbadunit2
July 29th, 2008, 05:20
This is great! Wow my friends asked me if there was DC emulation for the psp yet and I said no and I told them there would never be...

happy to prove them wrong =]
this is as hard as porting the top screen from the DS I'm surprised and happy someone actually attempted this. :thumbup:

RevVS
July 29th, 2008, 05:50
Sounds fun!

Even if it never is 100%, bully for him for tinkering.

= : )

mike_jmg
July 29th, 2008, 06:07
would be really nice if he can acomplish it

acn010
July 29th, 2008, 06:14
same here..... just want to play capcom vs snk2

Sp3ct0r
July 29th, 2008, 06:30
Wow, that's amazing :D

hack.fool
July 29th, 2008, 06:35
would be gr8 dude
can't wait for a test release!!!!

TAzz MAN
July 29th, 2008, 07:53
This would be cool if he got it to 30% good luck

darkdex52
July 29th, 2008, 09:07

You've read wrong. Emulation is a complex programming. If you get it totally right, you can sucessfully emulate something with the same power as the target you are emulating. It's just a matter of how good is it programmed.

I belive in this project, and 10% in interpreter w/o single optimization is really SOMETHING O.O!

Good luck ^.^

TAzz MAN
July 29th, 2008, 09:19
You've read wrong. Emulation is a complex programming. If you get it totally right, you can sucessfully emulate something with the same power as the target you are emulating. It's just a matter of how good is it programmed.

I belive in this project, and 10% in interpreter w/o single optimization is really SOMETHING O.O!

Good luck ^.^

I might sound like a n00b but is 10% all that good

M Dash
July 29th, 2008, 10:34
Well... I would never expect to see a Dreamcast emulator on a PSP... I always wished to play the DC sonic titles on PSP, maybe the emulator really reaches a state that it is possible to accomplish that...

On the other side, I shouldn't be surprised, since I never expected to see a Saturn emulator on the PSP (being the Saturn the complicated system it is) and, well, there IS a saturn emulator for PSP. Slow, but there is.

So... Let's see how this emu develops and the fruits t accomplishes :)

M Dash
July 29th, 2008, 10:35
I might sound like a n00b but is 10% all that good

Taking in consideration that you have to almost emulate/simulate all of the DC hardware via software... and then convert it to the PSP hardware... well.. IT IS. A LOT.

Sonicboy 101
July 29th, 2008, 10:47
This sounds fantastic. :)

Zack
July 29th, 2008, 11:07
I thought I read wrong when I saw this news :)

If anyone can make a full speed Dreamcast emulator for the PSP , Darkraziel can. Great thing about DarkRaziel is he doesn't abandon projects, so hopefully it will just be a matter of time before a release.

Huge Huge challenge to do this , kudos to Darkraziel for being big enough to attempt it!

cal360
July 29th, 2008, 11:27
This is great news even though it will never be full speed. Hopefully this should keep the n00bs at bay for a while.

ojdon
July 29th, 2008, 13:10
I know that it's never going to be full speed or anything, but I for one am REALLY impressed, I mean think about it, Dreamcast Emulation is hard on a PC yet alone a system that is soooo much smaller than a computer.

delirumhappy
July 29th, 2008, 14:16
What you guys are doing is something that could change the homebrew scene forever! Keep up all progress and show the others you guys can do it! :D

noname1
July 29th, 2008, 14:51
Hmmm the dreamcast is more powerful than a psp isn't it?

myuusmeow
July 29th, 2008, 15:41
I believe.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/games/drg000/g003/g003119f959.jpg
I gotta believe!

(oh wait, wrong console)

Anyway, this could be awesome.

acn010
July 29th, 2008, 17:00
there's already for the psp

midnitdragoon
July 29th, 2008, 18:27
I believe!!

oooooomonkeys
July 29th, 2008, 19:06
wow when i read the news i couldnt believe what i was reading cant wait for a release of some kind.

SynGamer
July 29th, 2008, 19:16
Dreamcast Specs:
CPU = 200 MHz
GPU = 100 MHz
Main RAM = 16MB
Video RAM = 8MB

PSP Slim Specs:
CPU = 333 MHz
GPU = 166 MHz
Main RAM = 64MB
Video RAM = 2MB

I'd like to know that both CPUs are 32-bit with a 128-bit bus. Other than that...good luck.

dangee
July 29th, 2008, 19:32
More evidence of what an amazing bit of tech we have in the PSP.

and what a skilled technician can achieve with it.

on the subject of specs its worth mentioning that MIPS
and the advanced PSP architecture can improve performance over earlier systems,
even at comparable cpu/bus speeds.

alanparker05
July 29th, 2008, 20:40
I think this is a good idea because i haven't seen any homebrew that can really push the limits of the psp and even though psp can never emulate dreamcast just pushing the emulation to it's limits will help devs to learn more about psp's capabilities and work better with it in future

indstr
July 29th, 2008, 21:15
You guys can all keep living in your pipedreams.

The first useful DC emulator for PC (NullDC) only just came out in april 2007. It works best on a dual core CPU with a directx9 graphics card. Even then a lot of games don't load or have bugs.

The common phrase is that you need "at least 4x as much processing power" to run an emulator. But in recent years, this number has gone up to even higher, more like 8x or 16x as much processing power... Or more. Due to the increasing complexity of the machines. It's just like auto mechanics not being able to tweak as much on modern cars. Emulation developers will have an increasingly hard time emulating newer consoles.
Even the lowly Sega Saturn has only come to maturity recently in the emulation scene. I'm talking the last 2 years... Sega Saturn has a 28.6mhz CPU. And you need a modern computer to emulate it. Chew on that. A 333mhz machine emulating a 200mhz machine? Complete joke. Dosbox can't even do any better than about a 486/33

The only way this would ever be possible is if Sega and Sony were in cohorts and Sega gave them all the code and DC details and said "ok, go for it". Just like Sony developing its own PS1 emulator, that's the only way that PS1 emulation on PSP would ever have been fullspeed.
Unfortunately this exchange would not be profitable or make sense for either company. And would never happen.

Nothing will ever be playable on this emulator, and I will never click on a link about it ever again because I find it a completely ridiculous concept.

There is 0% chance that this DC emulator on PSP will ever be useful for anything at all other than proof of concept, developer masturbation, and bragging rights.

SpacemanSpiff
July 29th, 2008, 22:42
You guys can all keep living in your pipedreams.

The first useful DC emulator for PC (NullDC) only just came out in april 2007. It works best on a dual core CPU with a directx9 graphics card. Even then a lot of games don't load or have bugs.

Not true, Chankast was out in early 2004 and it ran a lot of games full speed with a low-end Pentium 4.

SynGamer
July 29th, 2008, 23:34
The better the coding, the faster the program ;)

doom5
July 30th, 2008, 00:06
The better the coding, the faster the program ;)

Your point? The PSP will never emulate the Dreamcast at anything NEAR a playable speed, if it can emulate it at all. Same thing with trying to emulate a Saturn.

The PSP is far too slow. There's no such thing as magic.

noname1
July 30th, 2008, 01:22
Dreamcast Specs:
CPU = 200 MHz
GPU = 100 MHz
Main RAM = 16MB
Video RAM = 8MB

PSP Slim Specs:
CPU = 333 MHz
GPU = 166 MHz
Main RAM = 64MB
Video RAM = 2MB

I'd like to know that both CPUs are 32-bit with a 128-bit bus. Other than that...good luck.
Very intresting if there is a dreamcast emulator soon i will... Explode! of happines.

dark heart
July 30th, 2008, 07:48
holy cow, i just fell off my chair :P I can't believe anyone would attempt it :P let alone run a game without crashing it.

.:PSP1.0:.
July 30th, 2008, 09:18
This is awesome news hope we get to see a playable DC emu for the PSP :)

openboxfilms
July 30th, 2008, 09:49
Thats AMAZING!!! DC was my favorite!

kjetil1991
July 30th, 2008, 14:01
good luck you need it ;D

noname1
July 30th, 2008, 14:59
Damn when i see those vids about playing a game on NullDC i'm going mad.
I really hope this isn't a joke because i don't think i will survive that.
I hope you release a version soon which can run games at 25/50% of its normal speed.

kharaboudjan
July 30th, 2008, 15:54
very cool indeed, the psp scene needs SOMETHING new. it has been so completly DEAD for so long now. the last cool release was the picodrive like 8-9 months ago.

the psp scene is really going to die soon :(

indstr
July 30th, 2008, 16:24
Not true, Chankast was out in early 2004 and it ran a lot of games full speed with a low-end Pentium 4.

Yeah, if you consider 5 or 10 "a lot" of games.

very cool indeed, the psp scene needs SOMETHING new. it has been so completly DEAD for so long now. the last cool release was the picodrive like 8-9 months ago.

You're an asshat. PSP has well surpassed everyones expectations of what it can emulate. They said GBA couldn't be done. GPSP being fullspeed was MASSIVE. Picodrive was a well appreciated release as well, as Dgen and PSPGenesis couldn't hack with the likes of SNES9xtyl 0.4.2 me...

But anyway, There is really not anything left to be done as far as emulating new systems on PSP. Just enjoy the wealth of software that is now playable on it, we're talking tens of thousands of games here OK. You paid ~$200.00 for a system that can now run the software of many thousands of dollars worth of consoles and computers.
My PSP would have been well worth the price 3 years ago, even if it never could have emulated anything beyond NES. Everything after that has just been an excellent bonus.

It would take you many lifetimes to enjoy the retro goodness that is now capable of being played on the PSP. So why are you complaining? Appreciate what you have

Dreamcast on a handheld... Wait 10 years to play it on your PSP3

JKKDARK
July 30th, 2008, 16:37

With several games crashing ingame..

Stone Temple Pilots
July 30th, 2008, 20:39
We can only hope this reaches 25% speed. That would be an incredible landmark.

gimpydingo
July 30th, 2008, 22:18
A portable DC would be cool, but won't happen on this system. Have a better chance with the dual core GP32X. Good thing I still have my DC, Pre Oct 2000, and it still runs without any issues.

Apoklepz
July 31st, 2008, 00:31
Oh man....it would be sweet to play 2D fighters on, like SF3 for example, now that we don't have a CPS3 emulator out yet for the PSP...other than that I don't think the potential of this emulator could reach beyond my expectations (like Daedalus) , but hey, I've been surprised again and again with some of the emulators that have already been accomplished.

The best of luck to the creator with this project, and here's to hoping it kicks ass!

M Dash
July 31st, 2008, 09:50
Hmmm the dreamcast is more powerful than a psp isn't it?

Nope.

For instance, the DC has only:

Main RAM: 16 MB[5] 64 Bit 100 MHz
Video RAM: 8 MB 4x16 Bit 100 MHz
Sound RAM: 2 MB 16 Bit 66 MHz

and a

SH-4 RISC CPU with 32-bit Instruction Set and 128-bit FPU functions (operating frequency: 200 MHz, 360 MIPS, 1.4 GFLOPS)

while the PSP has:

Main Memory: 32MB

and

CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)

Sources:

http://playstation.about.com/od/psp/a/PSPSpecs.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

M Dash
July 31st, 2008, 09:59

That's not true. Chankast IS a great emulator has well.. Not much nowadays but it was a great advance in the time. I still remember playing SOnic Adventure 2 on it, and I didn't needed a Dual Core CPU to do that. And at the time, lots of games worked out for me, if not all.

The common phrase is that you need "at least 4x as much processing power" to run an emulator. But in recent years, this number has gone up to even higher, more like 8x or 16x as much processing power... Or more. Due to the increasing complexity of the machines. It's just like auto mechanics not being able to tweak as much on modern cars. Emulation developers will have an increasingly hard time emulating newer consoles.
Even the lowly Sega Saturn has only come to maturity recently in the emulation scene. I'm talking the last 2 years... Sega Saturn has a 28.6mhz CPU. And you need a modern computer to emulate it. Chew on that. A 333mhz machine emulating a 200mhz machine? Complete joke. Dosbox can't even do any better than about a 486/33

True, but you are forgething that in a PC, you have to take in account all the types of hardware that a user can have. I can have a ATI Graphics card, and you can have a NVIDIA, and the emulator MUST RUN on BOTH of them. Not to mention the user that has a SIS Graphical card for instance. Anyways, in the PSP; is diferent, sicne you only have to program the emulator to run on that hardware ONLY. So you get more speed and improvement, since the piece of hardware is always the same and the emulator is only ment to run on that.

Also, the Saturn is not a good comparation. I mean, LOL, even SEGA and the Saturn creators had problems programming for the hardware. The console may not have MUCH power, but it's problem it's not in the hardware itself, but in HOW to program it. Also, a good emulator of Saturn is the long lost GiriGiri Project. I still have it, and it runs quite good and quite a lot good games.

Nothing will ever be playable on this emulator, and I will never click on a link about it ever again because I find it a completely ridiculous concept.

Fine, it's your problem. If HE achieves a good speed in the emulator, you're the one that will remain in ignorance and not enjoy is hard work. I mean, you're NOT even giving value to it, so why click isn't it??

There is 0% chance that this DC emulator on PSP will ever be useful for anything at all other than proof of concept, developer masturbation, and bragging rights.

Right... in that case... Go see some hentai fancy boy.

M Dash
July 31st, 2008, 10:01
Your point? The PSP will never emulate the Dreamcast at anything NEAR a playable speed, if it can emulate it at all. Same thing with trying to emulate a Saturn.

The PSP is far too slow. There's no such thing as magic.

Your title says "Newbie". Hence, you post is not valid around this thread XD

M Dash
July 31st, 2008, 10:02

PSP scene will only die if you WANT TO AND LET IT.

M Dash
July 31st, 2008, 10:07

Actually, there where more than that. I can at least remember of 37. I tried them. I have around ~200 games for the dreamcast, so boy, I know what I'm talking about.

You're an asshat.

No flamming...

PSP has well surpassed everyones expectations of what it can emulate. They said GBA couldn't be done.

Yes, but has you said IT WAS done. and NOW? People like you say: it can't be done. and guess what??...

I mean... you must have been one of those people that said the GBA emulation on PSP couldn't be possible.

GPSP being fullspeed was MASSIVE. Picodrive was a well appreciated release as well, as Dgen and PSPGenesis couldn't hack with the likes of SNES9xtyl 0.4.2 me...

But anyway, There is really not anything left to be done as far as emulating new systems on PSP. Just enjoy the wealth of software that is now playable on it, we're talking tens of thousands of games here OK. You paid ~$200.00 for a system that can now run the software of many thousands of dollars worth of consoles and computers.
My PSP would have been well worth the price 3 years ago, even if it never could have emulated anything beyond NES. Everything after that has just been an excellent bonus.

It would take you many lifetimes to enjoy the retro goodness that is now capable of being played on the PSP. So why are you complaining? Appreciate what you have

Dreamcast on a handheld... Wait 10 years to play it on your PSP3

OK. Fine. You keep your 10 years, and we'll keep TODAY and enjoy and APRECCIATE the work of a great programmer. :)

argor
July 31st, 2008, 14:22
SH-4 RISC CPU with 32-bit Instruction Set and 128-bit FPU functions (operating frequency: 200 MHz, 360 MIPS, 1.4 GFLOPS)

while the PSP has:

CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth ;)

indaman
July 31st, 2008, 18:39
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth ;)

Well, everything is said. :D

@M Dash: Nice flood, but in all this informations, the only thing i keep is that you're a psp fanboy. ;)

And "final?" word for this amazing project: wait and see, it's a nice way to prepare the port of this excellent emulator on many coming handheld device.

SpacemanSpiff
August 1st, 2008, 01:14

It ran almost all the games I tried at full speed on my 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, including Soul Calibur, Ikaruga, Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and both Sonic Adventures. But maybe you're right and I just so happened to pick the only 10 or so games that run at full speed.

With several games crashing ingame..

Well it never got out of alpha stage, so some bugs are to be expected. Doesn't make the guy I was responding to any less wrong.

M Dash
August 5th, 2008, 10:35
Well, everything is said. :D

@M Dash: Nice flood, but in all this informations, the only thing i keep is that you're a psp fanboy. ;)

And "final?" word for this amazing project: wait and see, it's a nice way to prepare the port of this excellent emulator on many coming handheld device.

I'm no PSP fanboy. Infact, I love the Dreamcast more than any other system. I simply truly believe that the PSP is a great system and that it can achieve numerous things, some of them already achieved and that we never imagined.

Also... I simply appreciate the work that the developer of the emulator is putting into.

I value is work. Despite it's a Proof of Concept. Simple has that.

August 6th, 2008, 17:21
well if this can work it does prove that 32X is very possible.and i take it saturn will ever be attemted again