PDA

View Full Version : Noiz2sa Port-beta 0.5 Released

deniska
October 19th, 2005, 22:18
This is a PSP adoptation of 2D abstract shooter originally developed by Kenta Cho
(http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cy.../noiz2sa_e.html) for PC.

http://www.raritanparking.com/noiz2sa_screen3.png

!!! PLEASE USE THIS SOFTWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
!!! THIS IS STILL A BETA VERSION.
!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE IT MAY CAUSE TO YOUR PSP.

FEATURES:
> high score saves
> sound support
> custom stereo soundtrack support
> snapshots

INSTALL:
v1.5 users: copy NOIZ2SA and NOIZ2SA% folders from 1.5 to your [psp_drive]:\PSP\GAME folder.

V1.0::: I don't have any experience with this firmware version. Hopefully PBP file in 1.0 folder works out for you.
just get images boss middle zako & sounds subdirectories from the 1.5 version....
There is also an icon and background there to bundle with PBP file.

GAME PLAY:
[x] - to select/fire
[arrows/analog pad] -to navigate/move
[start] -to pause/play
[left trigger] -take snapshot
[right trigger] -slowdown ship's movement

Screen shots are saved as noiz2sa_screen[#].png in the root of your MS card.

You can customize the soundtracks by changing stg*.* files in the sounds sub-directory.
Currently the game should accept mod, s3m, xm & it formats.
http://www.modarchive.com is a good place to find mod music.
Limit the file size for a single song to ~ 500K

You can modify the gameplay by changing the enemys attacking patters.
The pattern files are in boss middle & zako subdirectories.
The files are in BulletML (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/bulletml/index_e.html) xml like language.

TODO:
rendering performance optimizations
smoke effect
possible ogg/mp3 support
review the color scheme, possibly add cool background and skins...

SOURCE CODE:

I plan on releasing the source code shortly..

Enjoy,

DENIS

wraggster
October 20th, 2005, 00:41
excellent release :)

joesnose
October 20th, 2005, 01:10
brilliant port, fantastic

Ninkul
October 20th, 2005, 04:14
Wonderful! Really great port!

*wonder if rrootage will be ported ;)*, hehe, love that one too =)
-gotta love that site too hehe

DraconumPB
October 20th, 2005, 05:25
Hey how about porting tumiki fighters, torus troopers, gun roar? Gun roar would be an EXCELLENT psp game! All of them would, naturally!

deniska
October 20th, 2005, 14:40
I already looked in to porting Thorus Trooper:
it's a bit more complicated because it's written in D language and requires OpenGL. I'll have to check if PSP's openGL lib is up to the task yet. But it would defenetely be a nice game to have on your portable...

DENIS

jambox
October 20th, 2005, 18:28
this is an awesome port. i've never played the other versions, so i had a question -- is the collision detection supposed to be pretty loose? it seemed like i just flew right through projectiles a lot of times.

deniska
October 20th, 2005, 21:42
Actually, I did not change the collision detection logic from whatever the PC version had.
I believe the Kenta Cho's idea was - your ship is the small red dot. The green bars, spinning arround are just the shields, which may deflect some of the projectiles. So you should be fine as long the bulets don't touch the ship directly.
Also, you can colide with your enemies w/o any harm for yourself.

That was the oroginal author's game rules, which I did not want to change in my port...

I get requests from people to add weapons/bombs/etc.
I don't think I want to get in that direction, but once I clean up and release the source code, it should be farely easy for people to create their own clones with nicer graphics, weapons, collision detection, etc..

DENIS

jambox
October 21st, 2005, 03:58
oh ok, i see. awesome. i've been downloading mods today -- customisable soundtracks was a great idea.

eretsua
October 23rd, 2005, 09:04
@deniska:
thanks for this port it's really neat! is there any chance you port will feature a TATE-mode someday? the psp needs more tate-mode shooters! anyway, it's awesome you ported this, thanks!

....with nicer graphics?!?! i totally love these graphics.

@jambox: a deadcenter hitbox / collision detection point is fairly common in shooters. i agree that it can feel very loose and sloppy but it can also serve it's purpse to make these pretty & bizar bullet patterns which you would not be able to survive if the whole of your ship is collision detection point. try a shooter developed by CAVE to see what i mean with awesomely totally over the top bullet patterns.

MonkeyWrench
October 23rd, 2005, 20:06
Nice work! It's in excellent shape considering it's just beta. Yeah a tate mode would be my top request, it looks a little squashed at the moment.

Have you looked into porting any of Kenta's other projects beyond Torus Troopers? Would love to see rRootage in my palm :)

Keep uo the good work :)

dmauro
October 24th, 2005, 17:27
This is excellent, and I definitely hope you port some more of his games. The only problems I have had with the game is the Quit causes the psp to freeze and sometimes using the home button to quit also freezes the psp. Other than that, I couldn't ask for more.

vincesecuricor2005
October 24th, 2005, 22:48
cool keep em comin

pas_glop
November 1st, 2005, 11:54
I get requests from people to add weapons/bombs/etc.
I don't think I want to get in that direction, but once I clean up and release the source code, it should be farely easy for people to create their own clones with nicer graphics, weapons, collision detection, etc..

DENIS

Hi, thx for this great port.
I have check the source and tried to recompile it without success, it seems you didn't inlcude all the files. (all targets in makefile)
I'm really interested in using bulletml in my psp projects. So your code should help me a lot to learn it...
Glad you will release the whole source when you'll clean it.

Keep up the work :p