PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question

Giomancer
October 21st, 2005, 18:22
Heya, I'm new. Heh.

Right now I'm downloading LayingWake's dev iso, but I'm wondering about a few things.

1) What is this 'coder's cable', and do I need it?

2) How do I get the .BIN off of my DC? (I presume I can google for that, but I'm not touching my DC until I'm darn sure.)

3) Can we sell games we make?

- Gio

castlevaniafan
October 21st, 2005, 23:33
Why should you sell your self-made games?
We can only make games for the Dreamcast,cause of people from the homebrew- and opensource scenes.
It took long and hard work to build all the ports and dev-kits,so why should you want to sell games or applications,which you program with dev-kits you have not paid for?

I think you don't need the developers-cable for making your own Dreamcast programs,cause you can also burn them on a CD-R.But just imagine how many CDs you will need to test your programs or get the right balance of speed...I am also going to buy such a cable,cause the one-time investment of ca.25€ seems to be better than buying tons of CDs.

Giomancer
October 22nd, 2005, 01:26
Why should you sell your self-made games?
Well, the answer would be 'money', of course. I'm not talking about demos, betas, or ports either. I'm talking about my own individual work, or things that a team/company make. In any case, I ask in a broader sense; I hardly believe my tyro efforts would be worth selling.

I think you don't need the developers-cable for making your own Dreamcast programs,cause you can also burn them on a CD-R.But just imagine how many CDs you will need to test your programs or get the right balance of speed...I am also going to buy such a cable,cause the one-time investment of ca.25€ seems to be better than buying tons of CDs.Hm. That certainly sounds reasonable.

- Gio