PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Scratches On My Psp!

echel0n
October 21st, 2005, 23:02
AAARGHGHHH sorry I need to vent, im so angry at $ony, why did they make this psp so easy to scratch..no matter how hard I try, i treat my PSP like a baby, i put screen protectors on, I wipe it down ONLY with the special microfiber non abrasive cloth, i keep it in a case and STILL it somehow manages to always get tiny scratches all over it! I am so frustrated, doesnt this bother anyone else or am i the only one? :( :( :(

HeX
October 22nd, 2005, 00:14
I agree, the screen gets scratched WAY to easy. I have a little (but deep) scratch on the top right hand side and it drives me crazy! Every time I wip out my PSP I see that scratch and shake my head in anger and disapointment.

Chrone
October 22nd, 2005, 06:27
I think that soft case scratches the screen personally, With my screen protector though I have had no more problems, got two hairline ones without it, but those are the only ones and I've had no new ones and dont plan on getting any.

This is the protector I bought btw:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255993.asp

*o*
October 22nd, 2005, 06:54
mine hasnt scratched at all and im fairly rough with it.

Zaibach333
October 22nd, 2005, 08:34
I have been using two psp's *one not mine, but I've used just as much* and I found that the so called <i>screen protector</i> that I bought accually nicked the heck out of my psp. I wouldn't suggest to anybody getting those plastic screen protectors, I know I'm not the only one who usually has their psp in their pocket. the longer you have that plastic screwed on screen protector the more of a chance that thing will bend and gash parts of the screen/whereever benieth.

I'm saddend by my psp cause I remember bragging about all the stuff I bought for it to make it stay in tip top shape.

I would suggest always keeping it in your pocket, with the screen facing your leg and nothing else with it in the pocket.

if you want you could get one of those stick on screen protectors at the sacrafice of looking through another layer of screen between you and the lcd.

echel0n
October 22nd, 2005, 21:24
I always keep it in a Pelican case (click here) (http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/70/80/56/54/0070805654032_215X215.jpg) , and it protects it most of the time, but the scratches still come...
:(

my Sidek1ck phone screen NEVER gets scratched, its FLAWLESS and ive had it for months..i dont see why $ony couldnt have just made a screen like that..its like they want you to get it scratched so youll buy a new one or go get it repaired for way too expensive prices, like the guy on the other thread who needed to get a new analog stick and they wanted to charge him over 100 quid

wakeuphater
October 22nd, 2005, 22:23
I carry mine around in my backpack while I'm around school and I have no scratches on mine whatsoever. I have the Logitech case, which is the same one as seen in the Bricking video.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7194029&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat54200050027&id=1112808824848

It's only 20 bucks or so at Best Buy while Lik-Sang the overpriced whore monger of electronics, sells it for 30.

Mikey4212
October 23rd, 2005, 00:15
Look, i think we all know that the PSP is, although very sleek and sexy, very vulnerable to scratches. the material is great, but the scratches and smudges will
keep appearing, unfortunatly. now, i think that Sony should provide brand new cover screens with a new set of buttons, D pad, and Anolog stick for roughly 25-35 bucks. I wouldn't mind shelling out money for a new cover that'll last, especially if they can be customized. thats how i feel anyway.

Zaibach333
October 24th, 2005, 23:14
kinda like mobile phones?

Mourningstar
October 25th, 2005, 00:27
My screen is scratched all to hell also....but I have a question....

Can any of you actually get the screen clean? No matter what I use I never get the screen completely clean.....Ive tried water, alcohol, window cleaner, various screen cleaners and all different kinds of cloths......but all they seem to do is simply push the grime around the screen.....

Zaibach333
October 25th, 2005, 02:59
um.... I find that over time it gets slightly clearer but never completely, depending on how badly damaged it is *like mine.

HeX
October 28th, 2005, 04:55
I lost my wipeing cloth that comes with it but every time i wipe it down i get dust on it a second later :(

echel0n
October 28th, 2005, 19:03
Mikey 4212 looks like Sony answered your prayers and made a cover..dunno how good it is, though...still have to check it out myself..

For scratches already incurred:
now i know most of you guys would never ever even dream of trying this, but I had a fingernail scratch in the center, and after researching all over the web, and reading tons and tons of suggestions, i came across abrasives like displex, and waxes like novus and plexus. I eventually tried brasso on my ipod, i wiped it VERY VERY softly and it worked ont he scratches. so i tried it on the psp screen and voila it buffed it out completely. Why Brasso? its the same sort of thing as displex, an abrasive only instead of a giant price in a small tube, its cheap and in a big bottle. u just have to be EXTREMELY careful. i wont be responsible if u screw up your psp using this method. theres a guy on the net who did this with a lot of success on his ipods, if u google brasso ipod, youll find out what i mean.

the PRO: it buffed out the scratch which refracted the light every time i turned on the psp and annoyed me while watching.

the CON: it buffed down the plastic around the scratch to make the plastic level, however now there are a network of MICRO scratches on it. DONT get disheartened-i cant see these unless i put the psp in SUPER BRIGHT LIGHT, and look consciously for them. and now i think if i give the psp a light coat of the wax cleaner, i could even get rid of those totally.

THE BOTTOM LINE: id rather do this and not see ANY visible scratches when i play, and deal with tiny micro scratches that i see ONLY with a bright light if im looking VERY hard for them, than deal with one big fingernail scratch thats obvious from every angle, whther the psp is off or on.

My final verdict of using Brasso to buff out scratches on the screen: Thumbs UP but be VERY CAREFUL, and dont use more than you need. Make sure you also buff it with a microfiber cloth (the kind sony provides or you use to clean spectacles with). DONT use paper towel or youll mess it up and make more scratches. Then when youre done, wipe it away with another clean microfiber cloth, first with some water, then a dry one.

conman
December 27th, 2005, 18:34
I think that soft case scratches the screen personally, With my screen protector though I have had no more problems, got two hairline ones without it, but those are the only ones and I've had no new ones and dont plan on getting any.

This is the protector I bought btw:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255993.asp

y dnt u just complain 2 sony and use ur 1 year warranty and they should give u a new psp because it was caused by their case they made.

conman
December 27th, 2005, 18:44
Mikey 4212 looks like Sony answered your prayers and made a cover..dunno how good it is, though...still have to check it out myself..

For scratches already incurred:
now i know most of you guys would never ever even dream of trying this, but I had a fingernail scratch in the center, and after researching all over the web, and reading tons and tons of suggestions, i came across abrasives like displex, and waxes like novus and plexus. I eventually tried brasso on my ipod, i wiped it VERY VERY softly and it worked ont he scratches. so i tried it on the psp screen and voila it buffed it out completely. Why Brasso? its the same sort of thing as displex, an abrasive only instead of a giant price in a small tube, its cheap and in a big bottle. u just have to be EXTREMELY careful. i wont be responsible if u screw up your psp using this method. theres a guy on the net who did this with a lot of success on his ipods, if u google brasso ipod, youll find out what i mean.

the PRO: it buffed out the scratch which refracted the light every time i turned on the psp and annoyed me while watching.

the CON: it buffed down the plastic around the scratch to make the plastic level, however now there are a network of MICRO scratches on it. DONT get disheartened-i cant see these unless i put the psp in SUPER BRIGHT LIGHT, and look consciously for them. and now i think if i give the psp a light coat of the wax cleaner, i could even get rid of those totally.

THE BOTTOM LINE: id rather do this and not see ANY visible scratches when i play, and deal with tiny micro scratches that i see ONLY with a bright light if im looking VERY hard for them, than deal with one big fingernail scratch thats obvious from every angle, whther the psp is off or on.

My final verdict of using Brasso to buff out scratches on the screen: Thumbs UP but be VERY CAREFUL, and dont use more than you need. Make sure you also buff it with a microfiber cloth (the kind sony provides or you use to clean spectacles with). DONT use paper towel or youll mess it up and make more scratches. Then when youre done, wipe it away with another clean microfiber cloth, first with some water, then a dry one.

wel i av a scratch on my psp its quite deep ive been lookin every 2 find a solution 2 get it off its not disruptin the performance of it it is jus annoyin

SKULK
January 26th, 2006, 03:54
My screen is scratched all to hell also....but I have a question....

Can any of you actually get the screen clean? No matter what I use I never get the screen completely clean.....Ive tried water, alcohol, window cleaner, various screen cleaners and all different kinds of cloths......but all they seem to do is simply push the grime around the screen.....

I've used plain scotch tape to clean my expensive Maui Jim sunglasses :cool: for years so that I don't scratch the lenses. Using tape will lift the grime and other abrasive stuff on the psp screen without you having to wipe it off and risk making anymore scratches that you might have on the screen.

Produkt
January 26th, 2006, 21:38
Yea tape does help make sure its only lightly sticky...

I use a plastic polishing compound, (dremmel!)

TimeJack
January 26th, 2006, 21:47
YeaH i get really anoyed too with the scratches, i baby the psp too n they stll come like salt on a peanut.

yaustar
January 26th, 2006, 22:16
Personally I brought a PSP screen cover the first day I got it. Conman, the warranty doesnt cover wear and tear which is what this is.

TimeJack
January 27th, 2006, 05:20
this is exacly why u open up the psp, take some alchohol n a screw driver n go wild on the inside. Then put it back together n say...."eh yo my psp dun be broke" Then receve your brand new 2.6 psp Lol =D!

jakubman
January 28th, 2006, 06:53
Use 100% rubbing alcohol.Thats what we use at my work to clean car windows.

echel0n
January 30th, 2006, 17:55
Use 100% rubbing alcohol.Thats what we use at my work to clean car windows.

I'd be careful about using alcohol on the psp screen. the screen is a plastic compound, and car windows are glass. i could be totally wrong and it could be harmless, but when i was researching, someone told me to be careful not to use alcohol on it because it could damage the visibility. also, even if it didnt damage the screen, it wont do anything for scratches, it would just clean it