PDA

View Full Version : Quake 2 Port To PSP Wip

wraggster
October 21st, 2005, 23:47
McZonk has released some great screenshots of his WIP Port of Quake 2 to the PSP, heres those shots:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/quake2-shot1.jpg

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/quake2-shot2.jpg

More shots at our page here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/quake2psp.shtml

Mourningstar
October 22nd, 2005, 00:32
THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!

Please, please, please put sound in it!

Looks like Im gonna have to get a bigger MS when this is released....

scherzo
October 22nd, 2005, 03:03
I

LOVE

Q2!!!!

Man, if this port eventually has multiplayer, I know I can convince a friend of mine to invest in a PSP.

bill00000
October 22nd, 2005, 04:40
THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!

Please, please, please put sound in it!

Looks like Im gonna have to get a bigger MS when this is released....
Maybe he should put graphics in it first... I'm hoping we can get a good control scheme happining here. like Analog for look around, and the buttons for forward/back/strafe. That's the best fps controls I've come across on the PSP so far. This should be great if it runs smooth!

ace3093
October 22nd, 2005, 05:32
Yes. I cant wait. I love quake 2!

xuphorz
October 22nd, 2005, 06:51
anyone know if the multiplayer option will work?

*o*
October 22nd, 2005, 07:00
i seriously doubt it...

RedKing14CA
October 22nd, 2005, 08:13
DAMN, why cant we use wi-fi in homebrew yet?... :(.... i noticed we cant use the parental control thing either....

i know i'm dumb, but i'm just wondering...

if the PSP can handle the awsome graphics of Burnout and NFSU etc. why can't it handle the graphics of quake 2? i mean, couldnt some one make a UMD ISO game with PSP graphics and have it run smooth??

like i said, im stupid, and tired... good night, lol..

Zaibach333
October 22nd, 2005, 08:24
you'know, I kinda like where RedKing14CA is going. the UMDEmulator is the smoothest emulator out there cause all it really emulates is where to read the data. do you think somebody could figure out how to make some working <b>homebrewed</b> ISOs?

I doubt this has much to do with networking advancements for Quake II but it's a thought for future smooth fun games on the go without draining your battery.

Hevyduty
October 22nd, 2005, 10:12
DAMN, why cant we use wi-fi in homebrew yet?... :(This is my biggest question too. At this point, we'll have WiFi homebrew on the DS before we do on the PSP, and I would've thought the opposite.

Actually, doesn't PSP Weather and PSP Radio use WiFi?

So what we don't seem to have is WiFi multiplayer in hombrew/ports. If anyone has an explanation for why this hasn't been done yet, I'd be interested to know the answer. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've been wondering what it is.

bill00000
October 22nd, 2005, 11:13
All the homebrew programs I know of work in infrastructure mode, and communicate with the internet, or your PC. I can't think of one homebrew app/game that has been able to send information from PSP to PSP, and I think this is why we haven't seen multiplayer.

As per RedKing's comment, I think it may be the fact that HB developers are left to figure out how to implement the PSPs functions by themselves, without Sony made dev kits. Also, games like Burnout take full teams of developers months upon months to develop.

Your ISO idea is great, though. I think that would be ideal for a shell like system like PSIX. If the UMD emulator could be changed so the PSP was tricked into thinking the ISO was the UMD even after shutting the system down, the system would boot straight to the ISO, and bypass the initial menu loading.

asterothjames
October 22nd, 2005, 13:33
yumy quake on the psp i cant wait

creoleplane
October 22nd, 2005, 17:25
I know we have a Quake 1 port, but it sucks, this guy should be working towards that, screw Q2 it was by far the worst in the series.

Tomppa
October 22nd, 2005, 17:28
Oooh! Wonder if it is possible to play Quake 2 mods like Action Quake? :D Damn that mod is funny...

watoto
October 22nd, 2005, 18:01
actually,if you look close in the screenshot,it says "sound initialization",so it may have sound

Fly On
October 22nd, 2005, 18:16
Oh ho ho ho ho! This is great!

J sims
October 22nd, 2005, 19:27
I vaguely remember a tool called Umd Gen which can make UMD ISOs that run on an iso loader for for psp, but i don't think I could post where to get it on these forums. Just search google to find it.

RedKing14CA
October 22nd, 2005, 19:31
Quake 3 was the worst.... quake 2 and quake 4 own!!!

But anyways, i do know they have a PSP ISO maker at Psp-Hacks.com that you can use to create HB ISO's for the PSP...

But what i was thinking about using an actual PSP ISO to run homebrew was you could get those sweet graphics and speed without having to emulate....

wi-fi does not work using ISO's...

I know they've used IR multiplayer, but i think it would be too slow for quake 2...

the thing i'm wondering is how he got quake 2 to run smoothly enough to announce/play if doom and quake 1 run slow on the PSP sometimes...

How much is an official sony devkit i wonder.....?

Zephyroth_drgs
October 22nd, 2005, 20:31
This is my biggest question too. At this point, we'll have WiFi homebrew on the DS before we do on the PSP, and I would've thought the opposite.

Actually, doesn't PSP Weather and PSP Radio use WiFi?

So what we don't seem to have is WiFi multiplayer in hombrew/ports. If anyone has an explanation for why this hasn't been done yet, I'd be interested to know the answer. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've been wondering what it is.

in deed...

F9zDark
October 22nd, 2005, 23:55
The problem is just as bill00000 said it. The homebrewers are left to figure things out for themselves. But what also slows this process down is the fact that many people are just trying to pop out ports of games made for the PC, rather than trying to figure out these problems and make their own games from scratch using the full potential of PSP's graphics.

All a port requires is rewriting the engine or graphics handling code to be kosher with that of the PSP. Yes there are many hurtles to jump over, but its far easier to rewrite an already made engine to work with another system than it is to try and write an engine from scratch.

But then again, if half the people working on ports pooled their time and resources together, they could in essense create a PSP game engine that could handle many different types of games and utilize the PSP to its fullest potential.

Hevyduty
October 23rd, 2005, 02:31
Well, not long after inquiring about WiFi earlier in this thread, I ran across the news posted yesterday at PS2Dev:

http://ps2dev.org/

It sounds like the WiFi stuff is being worked on, so that's good. There's also work going on for an implementation of OpenGL for the PSP, which is something you also think about when discussing Quake ports. I can't tell if this is something that could be applied to Quake ports, or just new homebrew graphics engines, but regardless it's welcome news.

Zaibach333
October 23rd, 2005, 07:23
redKing14CA: wi-fi does not work using ISO's...

I don't know why you would say that, the whole reason I looked into that sort of emulation was to play multiplayer with one umd. and after a dump I confirmed the tenchi browser workes aswell.

f9zDark, I would definatly have to agree, speaking of that - I havent seen any in the past few weeks but lately there have been more 3d developments comming out of homebrew.

hevyduty, OpenGL would be spactacular! I would probably hop on the psp game programming wagen with that capability.

McZonk
October 23rd, 2005, 15:08
Lots of funny discussion about Quake 2. But here are some facts about the first version I will release in I hope 2 or 3 weeks.

Hardwarepowered Graphics
The engine don't uses any software rendering. It's complettly done in the Hardware. The currently finished 2d stuff is done and the 3d stuff will be. That's why it takes so long.
Perhaps the engine will not support all kinds of effect (particles) in the first release.

No Sound
Yes it's right, the console said: Sound Init, but the sound implementation has a dead end. The Sound Init is the result of init the null-imp sound interface correct. So no error occour if the engine try to play some sound. But I will recode the sound in a later version. Because I love the sound. I will also add a music player (the original Quake 2 defines Audio CD playing, so I can use it for mp3).

No Multiplayer
The first release will have no multiplayer support. As soon as possible I will support playing over internet and ad-hoc.

Mods
You can use any mod for Quake 2 if you have the source code for it and compile it on the psp. You have to make a .prx file after the original Quake 2 Game-API 3 (1 method that shares structs of function pointers). I already have an Interface to load the game library, but perhaps it will not be supported in the first release. Loading own prx files still makes problems on the psp.

Control
The A-nub is used for looking around. Start and Select are hardcoded for console and menu. The other keys are free for be configured. In my config the XO[]/\ are for movement RL for jump and fire, D-pad for weapon and inventory.

Other stuff
It will be possible to save games, load games, even from the pc. It will not be laggy (I hope). I will release it with the Quake 2 Demo. But if you own the original Quake 2, you can place the pak file in the directory play full version.

NO, I CANNOT SAY WHEN IT IS DONE!

wraggster
October 23rd, 2005, 15:11
awesome thanks for the Update :)

creoleplane
October 24th, 2005, 08:40
I agree, Q3 was crap, but Q2 was even worse. Q2 has the easiest movement and the easiest to use weapons, Q2 will always bee the noobs Quake.

pspfr33k
October 24th, 2005, 19:55
Be glad someone will make it :mad:
He has put alotta time in it, that's a fact. If I'm right Quake 1 was already released for psp, right?!
Keep on working....maybe a Q3 will come with those funny mods :)

vincesecuricor2005
October 24th, 2005, 20:34
i cant wait but i dont own q2...........what am i gonna do?

Zaibach333
October 24th, 2005, 23:05
i cant wait but i dont own q2...........what am i gonna do?

nobody here can give you a link to a copy of it. I would suggest going elsewhere to find it, just do some searches or buy the game.

vincesecuricor2005
October 24th, 2005, 23:16
i didnt want a link to it, in fact i dont want it illegally but on wat format would i need it i.e. pc or whatever i dont agree with piracy sorry if anyone got the wrong idea cheers.

Zaibach333
October 25th, 2005, 02:55
hmmmm, I am assuming its the one for pc but you'll probably find out sometime from McZonk

McZonk
October 25th, 2005, 08:29
I'll ship the PSP Quake 2 with the Demo Files from Quake 2 (some single player and some multiplayer levels) enough to play and check it out. You can also use the full version of Quake 2 if you have it and play on the psp. I'm not 100% sure if the Mission Packs will work too, but I hope so.

PPP(PROWD PSP OWNER)
October 25th, 2005, 11:10
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
i got banned of psp hacks !!!!
Whooooo i had 160posts :confused: :( ;) :( :cool: :D :p
IM PISSED :(

PPP(PROWD PSP OWNER)
October 25th, 2005, 11:12
pissed pissed

vincesecuricor2005
October 25th, 2005, 18:05
how did you get banned?

Sharkey
October 25th, 2005, 19:53
so when will it be released?

im kidding, i dont mind waiting at all,
ive played through the original quake (the best although im having fun with quake 4),
both mission packs and quite a few mods.

i didnt really like how they changed quake from a dungeon like theme to the science fiction premise of quake 2 but i still love the game and will be PATIENTLY waiting for the release.

thanx you mczonk for taking the time to share. ;)
ill be happy with any playable version, even without sound, wifi and the other bells and whistles.

vincesecuricor2005
October 25th, 2005, 20:13
not to be pushy but is there an eta?

pspfr33k
October 25th, 2005, 20:32
no there isn't a beta yet! at least not that I know, and I look every single day ;)

vincesecuricor2005
October 25th, 2005, 20:42
im just impatient (apologies)

Zaibach333
October 27th, 2005, 03:42
I'm still curious as to why ppp was banned

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 08:55
me too come on ppp be good and share fella

McZonk
November 1st, 2005, 23:05
I will release prreview versions of quake 2 the next days to some special people.
Here is my milestone plan.

http://www.psp-arena.net/user/mczonk/q2-milestones.png

iball
November 1st, 2005, 23:36
By "draw" you mean port over to hardware optimizations on the PSP?
I think that's what you mean. But hey, you've got a PLAN there.
That shows that you know the steps that have to be done to port something over.
I would be down with a little quiet beta-testing...I live in Frankfurt, Germany of course, so we'll be in the same time-zone. Currently sitting at home on vacation all week.
;)

Zaibach333
November 2nd, 2005, 00:21
this reminds me, I really want to look into making some homebrew. would this be the place to randomly ask about what any sdk's or libraries I would need to get started compiling? just wondering

iball
November 2nd, 2005, 00:25
ps2dev.org would probably be your best bet for asking questions.

vincesecuricor2005
November 2nd, 2005, 01:15
liking the sound of multiplayer fella

creoleplane
November 2nd, 2005, 09:42
Q2 was the easiest to learn in the series Q1 had the most complex movement, and rail wrecked quake forever.

vincesecuricor2005
November 2nd, 2005, 13:01
but theyd all be pretty cool on psp huh?

McZonk
November 5th, 2005, 13:33
As you can see on the milestone plan. The next step is done. I can play intros on the psp. This is very important, because Quake Movies are handled like maps and it shows that the engine is working.

http://www.psp-arena.net/user/mczonk/q2-intro.mov

Putin
November 5th, 2005, 15:50
Multiplayer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're able to do that I consider you holy ;)

Zaibach333
November 5th, 2005, 20:42
sweet, keep up the good work

Zaibach333
November 5th, 2005, 21:49
ps2dev.org would probably be your best bet for asking questions.
thanks a bunch

Sharkey
November 5th, 2005, 22:08
thanx for the update mczonk. ;)
right now this is the only homebrew game im looking forward to.
i come here almost everyday just to see how its going,
ill have to check the .mov you posted.

its getting closer, im all giddy like a school girl lol. :D

Zaibach333
November 6th, 2005, 12:00
this is out of context but where the heck did you get that signature gif of a spinning psp. that is really cool looking

vincesecuricor2005
November 6th, 2005, 12:15
where is it i want it (gos off sobbing to mummy) but seriously i cant wait to try it

McZonk
November 21st, 2005, 09:34
The next point on the not ending list is done: Render a player preview in the player setup menu. Seems not to be a big step at first, but it shows that all 3d setup is done. Next step will be render the demo.

Pics and Video I will release this evening.

MGFox
November 21st, 2005, 09:45
This is excellent news McZonk, I'm sure we all eagerly await the Video :D

You're doing a fantastic job, Good Work!

Cheers,
Fox

pspfr33k
November 21st, 2005, 13:00
You have to say: I'm still waiting to play this on my PSP :D
No, just kidding ;)
Great to see it's still in progress.... :cool:

McZonk
November 21st, 2005, 17:52
http://www.psp-arena.net/user/mczonk/quake2-shots14.jpg
http://www.psp-arena.net/user/mczonk/quake2-shots15.jpg
http://www.psp-arena.net/user/mczonk/quake2-shots16.jpg

pspfr33k
November 21st, 2005, 20:02
Make some screenies of action ingame please :D
It's looking good though!

Porl
November 21st, 2005, 20:06
Excellent work McZonk !! !! !

Im really holding my breath for this release. It should be awesome! keep up the good work dude! :)

Porl''

*o*
November 21st, 2005, 20:25
i cant wait for this re-lease

Sharkey
November 22nd, 2005, 02:08
Excellent work McZonk !! !! !

Im really holding my breath for this release. It should be awesome! keep up the good work dude! :)

Porl''
took the words out of my mouth,
thanx for the screens man. :)

CrazyTuner
November 22nd, 2005, 15:06
you have more screens from the game??

oninotsume
November 28th, 2005, 15:13
Really nice!! This is going to be so sweet once you're done. Keep up the good work! :)

gacnuw
November 29th, 2005, 01:46
is this for v1.0 or v1.5 or v2.0 tell me please. :confused:

Tomppa
November 29th, 2005, 08:25
I'm pretty sure it is gonna be for 1.0. Then you can use KXploit or Sei-tool or whatever to convert it into 1.5. And later maybe fanjita adds Quake 2 support to 2.0 eBoot loader. So pretty much for all three I suppose, but maybe the author knows better. Well anyways I'm still hoping for the "x-mas" release mentioned somewhere :)

gacnuw
November 30th, 2005, 00:58
Thanks but where can I get KXploit or Seitool.

McZonk
November 30th, 2005, 07:31
Quake 2 will run on 1.0 and 1.5 at the moment. 2.0 is not supported, because I don't have a 2.0 to test and I'm no fan of up- and downgrading.

I don't think that Quake 2 will run on 2.0, because you cannot load prx files on 2.0 at the moment. I use 3 prx files at the moment: game-engine (important for mods), graphic-engine (my graphic port) and network-engine (not used, but I think it will become when I have to switch between adhoc and infrastructre wifi).

If I would get the money for a 2.0 PSP, I would care about a solution for 2.0, perhaps one without prx files.

Sorry, that the video is not availible, but my cam is broken.
I will deliver Quake for 1.0 and 1.5. So you don't need Kxploit or Seitool.
Release is 27. December on the TuM in Karlsruhe.

Tomppa
November 30th, 2005, 09:37
Ah great to see you answering our questions... :) So is the graphic-engine ready already or are you still working on it, I mean ready for the WIP release if thats what you call it?

one winged angel
November 30th, 2005, 12:08
Is the core written in ASM

McZonk
November 30th, 2005, 17:29
The graphic port is not completly finished. But more than the released images show :D

No these is no assembler code? Why I should use some? It's fast enough. But not all effects are implemmented at the moment.

What's the meaning of WIP? Never heard that.

MGFox
November 30th, 2005, 22:34
Looking forward to some more images :D

How is the performance, compared to the Quake 1 port we already have?

WIP = Work In Progress

Cheers,
Fox

RedKing14CA
December 1st, 2005, 21:55
Sweet, i hope to see this up and running, to bad you arn't getting paid... :(

MGFox
December 1st, 2005, 22:49
RedKing14CA: Why do we have an English essay about Teach and Maynard?

It was a fairly interesting read...but all the while I couldn't help thinking "Damn, Monkey Island was a cool game!"

Cheers,
Fox

Tomppa
December 2nd, 2005, 21:04
OMG... Must.. Not.. Laugh.. Pirates.. What-the-hell..

Now I managed to stop laughing, so I have to ask what that has to do with Quake2? It sure was a waste of time (in a good way), but, a little.. off-topic?

RedKing14CA
December 8th, 2005, 15:05
It was the quickest way to host a file while i was at school... we can't use e-mail...

sorry if i wasted anyones time... i really am interested in this port of quake 2 though.. heheh...

one winged angel
December 13th, 2005, 13:52
mczonk what is the proggres

one winged angel
December 13th, 2005, 13:52
sorry for my bad english

Sharkey
December 13th, 2005, 18:47
mczonk what is the proggres

he said it would be released towards the end of the year, be patient.

McZonk
December 20th, 2005, 20:47
Another step is done: render objects and particles.

View blog for more screenshots: http://teamemergencyexit.blogspot.com

*o*
December 20th, 2005, 20:57
thats amazing!!!!!