PDA

View Full Version : Wii Region Changer Bricking Wiis

wraggster
July 31st, 2008, 17:06
Seems that the Region Free Changer has been bricking Wiis, heres the full details from Marcan (http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_waninkoko-nunca-mas_1067771):

Bushing and I took time thinking about doing a program to change the region a Wii. Let's see what brings change the region a console:

Edit setting.txt to change the region of the console
Install menu system corresponding
Clear all channels "internal" corresponding to a region and install them on the other

The most complicated part is the second since installing a menu system (particularly if the version is lower, which for technical reasons occurs during certain changes in region) is a rather dangerous action. We had the idea in mind quite a while parked more or less, we were hoping to secure some form of do.

Some time ago, Waninkoko drew a utility to install different versions of the menu system (the downgrade). The interesting thing about this is that it does so through a patch of IOS, bringing the facility is more or less equivalent to an update and as safe. This corresponds to the second part of the list. We knew how to make the first, which is relatively easy (if you do). Waninkoko do you know the third. Therefore, and as Waninkoko already had 90% of the work done (in the form of downgrades), Bushing setting.txt of what he said and told him that it would be nice to incorporate it in the downgrade, in order to turn it into a changer regions.

Today comes the downgrade, and I'm going to post all happy, commenting that now we are working (something) with Waninkoko, pleased that we've given it a good idea and that every time we have saved in this way. Then, begin to appear semibricks news. I, of course, I am surprised, and my first reaction (and that of Bushing) was asking how is this possible. Take our surprise when we download the changer region and we find that: the only region changer changes the setting.txt.

Even more disappointing is the content of the readme:

Waninkoko wrote:
It allows you to completely change the region Wii console.

This application is a semibrick guaranteed for anyone who use it without somehow imagine that you must also change the menu system by other means. Even worse, some semibricks combined with certain other actions resulting in a total brick, unrecoverable.

Waninkoko well aware that this utility is only one third of the process of changing the region. Why has drawn in this way, without explanation, implying that it is a region full changer? I will assume that this was no malice, so the only conclusion that I have is that is an irresponsible and does not think before doing things. We intend to discuss what it was that of setting.txt incorporated into its downgrade, and do so explicitly Bushing said. Change setting.txt are a few lines of code - both for and for us. For this application would have cost us less (better known setting.txt), but the combination with an installer menu system much more. That was what made Waninkoko. Rather than add setting.txt and document everything a bit, which would have meant a job more or less reduced (as we do so much more), has drawn only one part of the process, fast and evil. The idea was to reduce the work necessary for everyone, and instead has proved the opposite, plus a utility dangerous. And it's not because it was not what happened to integrate, because in fact Bushing told to do so in this way.

It is the story of FS dumpers again. In its day, I told how Waninkoko dump all Flash files. The result was the FS Dumper and the beginning of piracy VC, on which already warned him. In fact, not what I asked him to draw up at least able to speak a little more with him, and I ignored by saying that "nobody will know how to use the archives of the FS for pirating games CV." We all know what happened just after he left. Assuming that was not a deliberate act in favour of piracy (and by what he said Waninkoko, private and publicly, it was not), then was another act of irresponsibility. Users pro-piracy: why not defend (and re-discuss piracy). He has said publicly that it was a mistake.

And hence, although I though, until we came here. From now on, we will not give any information to Waninkoko. But not because we fall ill, or because we want to draw the things we take for the "reputation", but because Waninkoko has shown us that can not be relied on to draw and secure applications with a minimum documentation. You can not do things quickly and without thinking, and that is precisely what makes Waninkoko. We have made a second attempt, and has returned to spend the same thing, so there will be a third party.

Greetings.

Mods: if this turns into another debate on piracy in the penultimate paragraph, please close the thread.

I think the best course of action is to avoid the Wii Region Changer at all costs

voodoo11
July 31st, 2008, 18:08
These guys should find someone who knows at least some decent English to translate their stuff... every time they post something like this it's barely readable!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 31st, 2008, 18:13
These guys should find someone who knows at least some decent English to translate their stuff... every time they post something like this it's barely readable!

Agreed m8 I think they use google for translating...also the read me's are appalling with next to no instructions on what file go's in what dir etc..these things need to be a 1000% clear...

Dbgtgoten
July 31st, 2008, 20:01
heh i can barely read it too what i got out of it tho was that
- Bushing gave the idea/program of setting.txt to waninkoko
- Waninkoko put it in or put it forth in the program
- The region changer caused bricks
- Bushing and co say its all Waninkoko's fault just as with VC piracy so in an effort to keep thier rep clean they will no longer support waninkoko with ideas.

if i am wrong anyone correct me its barely readable xD;

masterchief929
July 31st, 2008, 20:28
you got more than i did. i am going tosend you articles with poor english if i ever need it to be translated into something with correct grammar. :p

whYeNQue
July 31st, 2008, 21:27
i started reading it... and was confused...
the important info i got was...
- Wii Region Changer Bricking Wiis

think that should help everyone.

m_jay
August 1st, 2008, 01:55
Hey guys, I'd rather say that it's not that hard to understand this article.

____anders____
August 1st, 2008, 18:14
it's not that hard to understand it if you know what side they're on:D

but i agree, it is kinda messy, but VERY good info:)