PDA

View Full Version : Review: Wii Wii-ID Wiimote Battery Cover Kit

bandit
August 1st, 2008, 01:12
Wii WiiID Wiimote Battery Cover Kit
Manufacturer: Talismoon
Site: Buy from Divineo China (http://www.divineo.cn/php/affstart.php?affcode=bandit&prod=wii-twid)
Price: $7.95

http://www.talismoon.com/multipage/products/RKS00098/images/icon.gif (http://www.talismoon.com/cgi-bin/multipage/engine.pl?function=viewid&id=RKS00098&cat=WII-TUNING#)

Overview : The Wiimote is a smart device, allowing you to carry your "Mii" on the go, and use it at a friends house. But, all wiimotes look the same. Enter the wiiID. The WiiID includes a custom battery cover with a clear window in it, and 8 different templates that you can put behind the window so you can easily tell your wiimote apart from everyone else's.

The WiiID is practical and entertaining at the same time, as you can put funny pictures inside your wiimote (like rusty gears, or an ear of corn) making your wiimote unique and fun.

Of course, you can also make your own template simply by printing your favoriate photo on your printer, and cutting it to the appropriate size.

Let your wiimote join the party, with the wiiID.

Included:
1 replacement battery cover
20 ready to use templatesQuality/Usability : The Nintendo Wii is a great console for the entire family to enjoy regardless of ones age. In order to get the family to play, you'll need multiple controllers. Of course, all the controllers look the same but like some people, they have their own dedicated controller. I know I do. Its my controller and no one else uses it.

To distinguish which controller belongs to who, some paint them, some put stickers on them, some put different colored silicone skins or even a dot of red nail polish like on turtles. Ok, maybe not the last part.

Talismoon has released Wii-ID Wiimote Battery Cover Kit. This is a battery cover but whats different is the clear screen. This allows you to insert your own design and is displayed right on the battery cover. The battery cover has a bit of a glossy look to it. At the bottom, instead of a Nintendo logo, it has a Talismoon logo.

Included are 20 ready to use designs but I counted 19. The included designs is nothing fancy and looks a little cheesy to me. Also included is a plastic template. This allows you to print out your design, use the template to trace the size and cut it. The size of the design/cut is 1.5" (width) x 3.25" (height). Although it gives you a plastic template to cut it to size, it doesnt include anything for when you design it. A Photoshop file should at least be hosted or something so you can design around that instead of designing it from scratch and having to play around with size.

Conclusion : Overall, the Wii Wii-ID Wiimote Battery Cover Kit is a nice idea when it comes to customization and/or knowing which Wiimote belongs to who but it falls short in some areas. The cover is glossy and the plastic clear screen looks like it can scratch easily. It comes with a plastic template that lets you trace the size but nothing is provided for when you design it. No size, no template, nothing. So if you're designing, you'll have to set it up yourself. Once you set up the correct size, you'll have to find out where the design becomes visible and where it is covered by the battery door.

If Talismoon is reading this, I suggest releasing a template file that allows people to just import their design, adjust accordingly and print. Who wants to buy a product that makes you do extra work by having to play around configuring your own template just to print your own design? I dont.

Images via comments