PDA

View Full Version : Carmack says iPhone is "more powerful than a Nintendo DS and PSP combined"

wraggster
August 1st, 2008, 22:45
We already knew that Id Software co-founder John Carmack was on board with the iPhone to some extent, but at the now-happening QuakeCon 2008 in Dallas he's revealed just how impressed with the device he really is. According to Apple Insider, while Carmack admits that graphics memory could be a limiting factor, he describes the phone's hardware as equivalent to a Dreamcast and almost on par with a PlayStation 2 and the original Xbox. He also sees it as far superior, at least in terms of raw specs, than the two big dedicated handheld consoles out there, saying that is "more powerful than a Nintendo DS and PSP combined." Unfortuantely, he didn't have any actual games to show off, but he did at least confirm that Id has two "tentative titles" in the works, including a "conventional mobile game," and one that pushes the iPhone's graphics capabilities.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/01/carmack-says-iphone-is-more-powerful-than-a-nintendo-ds-and-psp/

Epic Pie
August 2nd, 2008, 05:23
wtf, iphone's graphics suck compared to most ds games.

Gizmo356
August 2nd, 2008, 06:45
Its controls will limit it.

acn010
August 2nd, 2008, 07:50
and the memory will be low for game collection

trugamer
August 2nd, 2008, 08:20
He's talking about the raw procesing power, not the gpu or anything like that.

Isn't saying almost on par with PS2 and Xbox a bit stupid when you consider how much more powerful an Xbox is than a PS2?

robman84
August 2nd, 2008, 10:22
He's probably right about it being "more powerful" than DS or PSP but that's hardly a radical statement. As Gizmo356 says the controls are the limiting factor. I love my iPod touch to bits, and for games using the accelerometer it rules. Touch screen games are usually ok, but the fact you can't use a stylus makes it awkward if the on-screen hot-spots are small or close together for adult fingers. Shanghai, for example, and solitaire, are almost unplayable for me, even though they are amongst my favourite games. As a more direct comparison, Puzzlemaniak is much more fun for me on my DS than on my iPod.

On-screen controls for emulators are so bad I've removed all of my emulators from the iPod and stick to my DS for emu fun. That's not to blame the emu authors, they've done a geat job, but the lack of hardware buttons is a showstopper for someone like me who has an alternative.

Jeric
August 3rd, 2008, 00:11
Yay for out of context theatre!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=882649...cUserId=4551247

6:57: "iPhone is more powerful than the DS and PSP put together. Power isn't everything, as Nintendo dominates the handheld market with a device that is in many ways inferior to Sony's PSP." As Carmack continues to talk up mobile gaming, someone's cell starts up with a 50 Cent ringtone. Welp.

masterchief929
August 3rd, 2008, 01:28
iphone controls are horrible. end of story.

utz030303
August 3rd, 2008, 05:10
iPhone is not meant for games. It does have the power, and Monkey Ball graphic looks good, but it's not meant for serious gaming.. more like 'i'm so bored waiting on subway station let's kill some time'.

Kulawend
August 3rd, 2008, 07:31
If Apple is interested in the Video Game market why don't they simply go the Microsoft route and actually design a console.

Jeric
August 3rd, 2008, 14:32
Because the last time they tried they ended up tanking?

wiggy fuzz
August 3rd, 2008, 18:58
Because the last time they tried they ended up tanking?

:rofl:

EPIC fail