PDA

View Full Version : GTA now joyriding on PSPs

wraggster
October 25th, 2005, 21:18
Source - Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136483.html)

Rockstar's Games' latest criminal caper is once again one of America's most wanted. However, gamers looking for the title on its familiar turf of the PlayStation 2 will have to think smaller. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories is now available for Sony's other console, the PSP.

Traditionally known for causing havoc on home-bound consoles, Liberty City Stories marks the first time the franchise has moved to the handheld market in the spirit of its bulkier brothers.

The game is set in the late 1990s and stars Tony Cipriani as a simple man with a simple dream: knocking off all rival crime families and scum in Liberty City to bring the city under the control of the Leone "family." Tony sets about his destiny by mixing with underworld kingpins, carjacking both innocents and enemies, and firing the occasional rocket propelled grenade into a mob of bystanders.

LCS introduces the first proper multiplayer mode for the series, and supports up to six players. A recent update to the game's Web site confirmed three new multiplayer modes to the previously announced trio. The Hit List works like a game of kill the carrier, except instead of tackling the target, it's open season on the player designated "it." Street Rage is a simple racing mode, challenging gamers to make checkpoints in vehicles. In The Wedding List, carjackers steal select cars and deliver them to secret shipping crates in the best condition possible. A final multiplayer mode, Tanks for the Memories, pits one player in a tank while others play tankbuster.

The Web site (http://www.rockstargames.com/libertycitystories/gta_lcs.html) also features a new trailer with footage of the multiplayer action, as well as some new screens.

vincesecuricor2005
October 25th, 2005, 21:24
oooooo i want this NOW!

Sharkey
October 25th, 2005, 21:56
got it and cant get it to work without upgrading,
im very dissapointed that i spent bought it and now feel forced to upgrade.
bad sony, bad.

i think it has to do with the video type, not exactly sure.
but the version changers and disc swap dont seem to work.
well have fun anyways to the brave souls who upgrade for it.

Liberty City Stories marks the first time the franchise has moved to the handheld market in the spirit of its bulkier brothers. not to be nitpicky, but wasnt gta and gta london available on gameboy?

*o*
October 25th, 2005, 22:18
are you sure they dont work?!?!?

vincesecuricor2005
October 25th, 2005, 22:26
please dont make me choose ive had so much fun completin the monkey island series with scummvm and the gba is really progressing argggghhh, can anyone else confirm or elaborate on the situation?

DrSarcasmo
October 25th, 2005, 22:35
The WAB version changer and SXT Version changer don't work with GTA.
I get a game won't start error: FFFF3D or something along those lines...
I want to know if you upgrade to 2.0, if we can downgrade back when we need to. I'm curious as to what version is on the GTA disk. It says it's 2.0 but I wonder if Sony is pulling a fast one again and it's really 2.01...Hmmm

Either way, don't do what I did. Don't buy GTA until this is resolved one way or the other. If you did buy GTA and upgraded, were you able to go back down to 1.5 again?

Looks like this WILL affect GTA's sales, but who knows how much...

DrSarcasmo

vincesecuricor2005
October 25th, 2005, 22:40
i think im gonna cry

orochi-x
October 25th, 2005, 22:45
not to be nitpicky, but wasnt gta and gta london available on gameboy?

Yeah. There was also a new GTA for GBA too. I think they mean its the 1st handheld GTA to be in "glorious 3D"

It's a shame about the update but it doesnt really affect me........ :p

vincesecuricor2005
October 25th, 2005, 22:50
you lucky git

uranidiot
October 25th, 2005, 23:43
got it and cant get it to work without upgrading,
im very dissapointed that i spent bought it and now feel forced to upgrade.
bad sony, bad.

i think it has to do with the video type, not exactly sure.
but the version changers and disc swap dont seem to work.
well have fun anyways to the brave souls who upgrade for it.

not to be nitpicky, but wasnt gta and gta london available on gameboy?

WAIT A MINUTE DIDN'T WAB OR SONYXTEAM RELEASE A VERSION FOOLER(CHANGER) THAT WENT UP TO 2.1?! HAS ANYONE TRIED THAT?!

xmodx
October 25th, 2005, 23:57
So far we have used the sony x team version changer at 7.5 that didn't work so we thought maybe since it wasn't a real existing firmware setting we should try 2.0 that didn't work I'm assuming that the wab version changer will have the same results with the fffff whatever error but I was thinking and I remeber alomg time ago like back when we were swapping memory stivks to run homebrew on 1.5 there was a umd swap trick to avoid upgrading has anyone tried that yet I don't remember exactly how to do it and I've searched the forums as much as I could right now but I hope that will work because upgrading and dowbgrading constantly can not be good and I love GTA and I love Homebrew so I'm really hoping that I'm not going to be forced to choose this early in the scene I figure 3.0 or something will probably but so close to unhackable that we will give up but any ways someon try that old trick please

regnad
October 26th, 2005, 00:06
Yes, I've been able to upgrade then downgrade (and so on) with GTA LCS. I didn't trust the v2 firmware on the umd (though I suspect it's probably safe). I used 1.5 jap fw (I think) and 2.0 "official" fw, as well as the mph downgrader.

So, yes, you can upgrade to 2.0 to play GTA then downgrade for homebrew if you like (as often as you like). Obviously, there's always a chance of fubaring you psp.

Then again, I've -never- had a bad firmware flash on any device. I suppose it's possible, but...

In response to the last poster... other than the chance of bricking your psp while doing the firmware... seeing as how the mph loader is perfectly safe so far as I can tell, the only risk is one would take while doing any FW upgrade... and if it was that risky, Sony would NOT be letting people do it. In fact, with the battery indicator check, I'd say it's nearly idiot-proof.

Well, other than lightning striking (see above) I'd be pretty unconcerned about up/downgrading "alot." Besides, Sony will replace units that die during flashing I'm sure. I mean, the firmwares we're using are perfectly legal/official!

Not that I like having to go thru the process... but until someone comes up with a better solution, this one is perfectly workable!

DrSarcasmo
October 26th, 2005, 00:07
If you can provide a link to the UMD swap trick, I'll try it. But I have no idea what to do at the moment, as I don't know where to look for the trick. I guess
it was around before I got my PSP.

DrSarcasmo

xmodx
October 26th, 2005, 00:15
This isn't the original post I remember reading but it's the trick I remember:

"No Update Method For UMD's
Contributed by CoreCZ
Friday, 23 September 2005
You need:

- A PSP with 1.0 or 1.50 firmware which you don't want to be updated.
- A game does not require system update to play. (Disc A)
- The game you want to play but requires a system update. (Disc B)

Method:
In the XMB interface, put Disc A into the PSP, then start the game. While in the white screen, swap Disc A with Disc B. Then the game will continue to load.

The timing is just like what we did in Swaploit."

Here's to hoping that old dogs and their old tricks will save the day

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 00:22
if someone tries this pleeeeeeeeeeease let me know how it gos, (this is so upsettin)

regnad
October 26th, 2005, 00:24
hehe... seems like alot bigger chance of bricking one's psp with a swap trick than the fw up/down.Truth be told, having gone through 4 ps2 drives and 2 xbox drives I'm a bit leery of using the damned disk drives in -any- console.

Just my 2 cents... if it works that's cool, but I'll up/down as needed until someone comes out with a real solution (sooner the better!).

I've also seen speculation that GTA is actually using some new feature from the 2.0 bios (I certainly hope so! WHY make people upgrade just for the sake of it???). If that's the case, I'd imagine a fix will be a bit of a task!

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 00:35
sony are leaving me only 1 more choice if i want gta and homebrew and that is (sony s******ing in background) buy another psp oh man my wife is gonna kill me if i say i need to lash out ANOTHER 180 s**t

samui_samu
October 26th, 2005, 00:44
I've tried EVERY trick. EVERY TRICK. Please don't post:

"Did somebody try this or that"

They all dont work! At the end of the day I just upgraded. If u REALLY want to play homebrew...then u are willing to downgrade again.

xmodx
October 26th, 2005, 00:57
I've tried EVERY trick. EVERY TRICK. Please don't post:

"Did somebody try this or that"

They all dont work! At the end of the day I just upgraded. If u REALLY want to play homebrew...then u are willing to downgrade again.

I'm pretty sure that you do not know EVERY trick and judging from how many newbs still get error messages when trying to run nesterj just becuase you tried everything doesn't mean you tried it correctly. I say everyone keep trying and hopefully some one will get something or hoepfully someone will come up with a new trick or a version changer that will work with GTA...

*o*
October 26th, 2005, 01:03
i juts read somewhere that the update is 2.01 labeled as 2.0 so people update expecting to be able to downgrade but cant...

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 01:03
the glass should always be seen as half full so stop puttin that sony patented dagger through me please samui samu, someone will work this out

Virus
October 26th, 2005, 04:11
sony x team will get somthing to work, i mean all they gotta do screw with the bios a little more, or even mybe its somwhere else that is just as easy ( well hard) as doing stuf to the bios

HeX
October 26th, 2005, 04:53
WOOOHOOOO! This game rocks! Im geting it as soon as I can. FINALY A FRICKEN MULTIPLAYER MODE!

Virus
October 26th, 2005, 04:55
hex dont troll the forums, some guy called AKB got banned for that!

Privateer
October 26th, 2005, 05:22
You cannot currently play GTA:LBS on any PSP lower than 2.0, reason being it uses a certain video format that is only available on firmware versions 2.0 and later. Version changers and UMD swapping will not work. Period. They're either gonna have to somehow get into 1.5 and give it the abilitiy to play the movie type or fiddle with iso stuff (which I don't roll with). On the bright side, you can always downgrade from 2.0, so you could just buy the game, update to 2.0, play the game for a while until you're bored, then downgrade.
As mentioned, I wouldn't trust the version on the UMD. Just get the normal 2.0 update from your compy.

Virus
October 26th, 2005, 05:23
i waitin for the thing that lets you put firmware into memery card

Heran_Bago
October 26th, 2005, 05:57
Does anyone know of a documentation of how games access and read the PSP's firmware?

DraconumPB
October 26th, 2005, 06:03
OK guys! Shush! THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THEY BUNDLED 2.00 AND NOT 2.01+

That being said, WHY DON'T WE LEARN TO USE THE EBOOT LOADER?

Hehe, sorry, I just think that it's TOO COOL of an accomplishment to not mention the 2.00 firmware EBOOT loader, which is being improved like, every day.

DraconumPB
October 26th, 2005, 06:05
Oh and here's an idea... if there's a 2.00 eboot loader... maybe they could get that to run the firmware-on-a-stick booter.... so you could boot 1.5 from 2.00? Just a thought (heard it the other way around alot but that seems the best option to me.)

Heran_Bago
October 26th, 2005, 06:45
If you have 2.0, why would you use the eboot loader when you can just play the game normally?

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 10:46
with all this messing around i dont think im gonna buy gta til its sorted properly couldnt live without the emulators now

pepsolman
October 26th, 2005, 20:10
with all this messing around i dont think im gonna buy gta til its sorted properly couldnt live without the emulators now

Stop being afraid and listen to your options. Also listen to the ones who keep explaining to you that everything is ok as long as you don't upgrade from the disc. The reason you have to upgrade is so your PSP can read a certain video format that only 2.0 firmware has and no swap trick... NO SWAP TRICK... will work. Thank you.

Complete the list below and you will be fine:

1. Get the official 2.0 upgrade online somewhere... don't use the one on the disc. No one trusts Sony. (Isn't that pathetic?)
2. The [MHP_SXT] Downgrader 1.0 is totally fine and is your ticket back to emulation when you get bored with GTA: LCS.
3. Go out and buy the friggin game if you don't already have it. This is the game to have for the PSP.

Now with all that being said... you shouldn't have any further questions. Its that simple... unless you don't know how to use a usb cable. Ok... one more time cause I know you're gonna ask questions reguardless.

1. Get 2.0 upgrade. Don't use the upgrade on the disc.
2. Use the downgrader to get back to 1.5 for emulation.
3. Buy the game and stop being a pansy.
4. Bonus: No swap tricks work! Period! The technology is not there in 1.5. Period!

Everything is fine... I do these simple tasks myself... and you can to! Go for it!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

pspfr33k
October 26th, 2005, 20:18
So you are saying it (PLAYING GTA:LCS) will work on a fw1.5? But only if you had 2.0 on it before, or am I wrong?

PS. Sorry for the question anyway ;)

pepsolman
October 26th, 2005, 20:51
So you are saying it (PLAYING GTA:LCS) will work on a fw1.5? But only if you had 2.0 on it before, or am I wrong?

PS. Sorry for the question anyway ;)

Ok... lets review! Please read everything and don't freak out. All the answers are here and its really simple.

1. In order to play GTA: LCS: You must upgrade to 2.0
(but do not use the upgrade that is on the GTA:LCS UMD game disc. No one trusts Sony because we believe that the upgrade on the disc is not really 2.0 and no one has the balls to find out yet. Get the Official 2.0 upgrade online before Sony taints that file too and put it on your memory stick via usb cable and your computer.)

Why must you upgrade? :confused: The theory is that fireware 1.5 doesn't have the video capabilities to play GTA: LCS. Therefor no swap method works. No version changers work either.

2. If you want to play emulators: You downgrade back to 1.5
(You must use the [MHP_SXT] Downgrader 1.0 which the link can be found somewhere on this site or buy using the search box in this forum.)

Why downgrade? :confused: Because it has been proven to be safe by many PSP users... advanced and newbies alike. Also, you want to downgrade if your PSP is 2.0 when you want to be able to play homebrew and emulation.

Any details about these processes can be found in this forum by using the search functions. Oh... btw... THIS GAME IS F'N AWESOME!!! It has to be the best portable game i've played. This is too fun!!! I'm still trying to find out if I can put my own music in the game. Stay tuned!!! :cool:

*o*
October 26th, 2005, 22:27
is there any risk upgrading and redowngrading an already downgraded psp?

pepsolman
October 26th, 2005, 22:41
is there any risk upgrading and redowngrading an already downgraded psp?

Like I said... that information can be found within these forums or on the site. Use the search function.

Answer: I have upgraded and downgraded and upgraded and downgraded and have used version changers... etc. You name it.. i've done it except for bricking my psp. I've never done that and I have faith in these guys. They have a passion for this. They want homebrew to co-exsist with the great PSP games.

So again... there is nothing wrong with upgrading a downgraded PSP or downgrading an upgraded PSP... visa versa... etc. etc. Some have the theory that it is bad to do it over and over again. But that hasn't been proven yet and millions of people have been upgrading and downgrading for a while. Just take the dive, get wet, and enjoy your swim time. It's no biggy.

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 22:52
ive downgraded MANY PSPs already BUT i wouldnt wanna push my luck by up and then downgrading the same psp too many times also youve really got a s****y way of gettin your point across ive not been disrespectful to you and expect the same back, Peace pepsolman?

pepsolman
October 26th, 2005, 23:28
ive downgraded MANY PSPs already BUT i wouldnt wanna push my luck by up and then downgrading the same psp too many times also youve really got a s****y way of gettin your point across ive not been disrespectful to you and expect the same back, Peace pepsolman?

1. That's because you obviously don't know how to read.
2. You're panicing.
3. Again... you're not reading.
4. Advanced and some noob psp users have upgraded and downgraded numerous times without trouble... so why are you asking yourself to choose?

You can upgrade... play gta... then downgrade when you are ready to play homebrew again. Except it and get over it!!

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 23:36
but i cant downgrade on the train to and from work etc... im just really pissed at sony for this, but thats it no more complaining my bad sorry sorry sorry

Heran_Bago
October 27th, 2005, 02:00
pepsolman, you expect people not to be completely stupid. It's wishfull thinking.

vincesecuricor2005, you're pissed at Sony, huh? Without them you wouldn't even have a PSP. You should be thanking them. Thanks to them, games like LCS are out. If anything, Sony should be pissed at YOU for not keeping up to date on firmware and playing games that they don't want you playing on their system.

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 02:14
er who on this site doesnt play or want to play those games???

but yeah point taken.

slik da relic
October 27th, 2005, 07:44
sigh... mindless babble. my question is... do u hafta have the game RIGHT NOW??!! just wait awhile till they get it to work, if u dont wanna up/down all the time. i want it just as much as the next man, but i can wait. if its like this now, then Final Fantasy is gonna be Fort Knox. just give it some time, lets see what they come up with.

da relic

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 09:02
agreed ive got another week till it comes out over here (officially) anyways