PDA

View Full Version : NullDC PSP News Update and Clarification - Dreamcast Emulator for PSP

wraggster
August 2nd, 2008, 13:05
drk||Raziel (http://www.emudev.org/drkIIRaziel/?p=17) has posted some info on his blog regarding the Dreamcast Emulator for the PSP:

nullDC/psp will only be for psp lite. The old(’fat’) psp just doesnt have the ram space needed, nothing i can do about that.

The current speeds are very low, but that is expected. There is no dynarec, no optimisation, not even a single mips assembly line on the current source. Most of the current code (everything, apart from 3d rendering) is based on the pc version of nullDC, and most of this code will be replaced. So yeah, IT WILL TAKE QUITE SOME TIME BEFORE THE PROJECT IS ANYTHING NEAR USEABLE.

The current speed (as stated by the on screen couters) is around 10%. THIS IS WRONG, IT IS ACTUALY LOWER. The interpreter runs underclocked (to make the speed bearable). This also happens on the pc build of nullDC when using interpreter (for the same reasons). The rps field (renders per second) is accurate.

After the code is cleaned up/rewriten there are plans to port to pandora ( www.openpandora.org, realy cool stuff ) and possibly other consoles (wii seems like a nice target, ps3 if theres a way to get 3D access). ALL THIS MAY(OR MAY NOT) COME AFTER THE CODE IS REWRITEN, SO DONT ASK ABOUT IT NOW(you’l just waste your time, realy). The code will be open sourced as soon as it gets stable.

While i think it is possible to get fullspeed on psp it is quite likely that i will be proven wrong. I CAN NOT MAKE ANY PROMISSES ABOUT THE SPEED, I ONLY PROMISE I WILL TRY TO GET IT FAST.

If you somehow think this project is wasted time, then dont waste any more commenting/thinking about it. My time is .. mine, i can do whatever i want with it. Seriusly, if you want to say something bad just save your time, it wont realy change anything ;).

There, i hope this clears up some things. If for some reason you’re still confused read over the bold parts, that will help :p

Lets hope and pray that NUllDC can be ported at a playable speed, i do have faith that the coder will do his very best, exciting news for PSP owners.

Mr.Denny
August 2nd, 2008, 13:09
I wish him the best of luck! :)

However, I'm pretty disappointed to hear it's just for the PSP lite. I have no intention in buying new PSP. It's a real shame.

Oh well

indaman
August 2nd, 2008, 13:13
Nice news,

Seems like we can expect some improvements for the next releases.

So now, i think more and more people will buy a slim (or get forced to).

There is no other choice if we want to use the new homebrew coming...

Too bad for my FAT, I'll try to get a second hand slim as soon as i have more cash.

newb_fo_life
August 2nd, 2008, 13:20
I'm selling one of my psp's for a pandora so :D

Sonicboy 101
August 2nd, 2008, 13:21
Great news.

Buddy4point0
August 2nd, 2008, 13:51
Cool, exept the PSP lite news is a bummber.
I'm trying to get a pandora though so that'll be ok, and if it gets onto wii that'll be awesome.

Can't wait to see where it goes.

AdamRav
August 2nd, 2008, 14:09
major respect to drk||Raziel to actually be getting this running at all on the psp

maybe he'll have more success on the pandora

which i'll be getting aswell

indstr
August 2nd, 2008, 15:46
I can tell which part of this post was directed straight at me :)

BrooksyX
August 2nd, 2008, 16:05
I think this is great news and all, but am I the only one who would like a more stable pc version before we start talking about a psp version?

noname1
August 2nd, 2008, 18:49
This isn't wasted time i like to see some great dreamcast games on my psp like Phantasy star online and maybe even half-life

Zack
August 2nd, 2008, 19:10
Glad to hear your enthusiasm regarding this project DarkRaziel. :)

Keep it up!

hack.fool
August 2nd, 2008, 19:35
Awesome news!! :D
I wish him the best of luck for this great project.

TAzz MAN
August 2nd, 2008, 21:59
This is great news best of luck

Stone Temple Pilots
August 3rd, 2008, 00:14
This is great and all but only on the lite? Damn. I'm not buying another PSP just for this.

Theredbaron
August 3rd, 2008, 02:35
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. I really hope that this gets to a playable speed. I love Starlancer, Sonic Adventure 2, and Phantasy Star V2. This would be the only Emu that I keep on my PSP.

acidspunk
August 3rd, 2008, 05:36
While I really want this to work, it's really hard for me to believe the PSP is able to emulate a Dreamcast. It struggles to emulate the SNES and the N64, let alone a Dreamcast... I wish the best of luck to the authors, regardless of my skepticism.

TAzz MAN
August 3rd, 2008, 08:35
It would be cool if you could link 2 psps up to combine the ram memory and other stuff then this emu would be perfect

titch.ryan
August 3rd, 2008, 10:12
no fat :(

anyway good luck

.:PSP1.0:.
August 3rd, 2008, 12:10
Awesome news! Thank you drk||Raziel and don't worry about what the haters say! Keep up the good work! :)

andwhyisit
August 4th, 2008, 03:30
But when this increases to playable speeds I will have no choice, I'll have to buy a slim. :D

Bye, bye 1.50 homebrew. :(

It would be cool if you could link 2 psps up to combine the ram memory and other stuff then this emu would be perfect
Not possible in the slightest.

TAzz MAN
August 4th, 2008, 05:05
@ andwhyisit: you could always wish and what ever happened to the ds emu

JLF65
August 4th, 2008, 06:09
Bye, bye 1.50 homebrew. :(

Why so sad? There's nothing that's 1.50 only that can't be replaced by a 3.xx update, or something even better. For example, people whine about DGen... there WAS a version of DGen that ran on 3.xx, but PicoDrive has always been 3.xx and is far better than DGen. Ditto for SNES9x... there's a version based on the last Rukka version that's out now for 3.xx. It's being worked on, so it's even better than the last Rukka version.

TAzz MAN
August 4th, 2008, 06:37
Why so sad? There's nothing that's 1.50 only that can't be replaced by a 3.xx update, or something even better. For example, people whine about DGen... there WAS a version of DGen that ran on 3.xx, but PicoDrive has always been 3.xx and is far better than DGen. Ditto for SNES9x... there's a version based on the last Rukka version that's out now for 3.xx. It's being worked on, so it's even better than the last Rukka version.

That is true and what happened to the ds emu

dark heart
August 4th, 2008, 07:21
absolutely, possibility fantastically horrible news :P oh well, i was only looking forward to portable hl and q3 :P

(phat owner)

dangee
August 4th, 2008, 12:48
The massive RAM capacity thats becoming common these days is
changing all the old equations of what's possible in emulation.
It seems that drk||Raziel's found a way to use it to increase speed.
If the techniques in the source can be ported, we could see many
other emulators performing better in the near future.

Baboon
August 4th, 2008, 14:45
I wish him the best of luck! :)

However, I'm pretty disappointed to hear it's just for the PSP lite. I have no intention in buying new PSP. It's a real shame.

Oh well

I agree!...although I doubt very much that this will ever be at a playable speed on a psp anyway.

I doubt there are that many people who will go and sell their perfectly good phat psp's just to get slims for the odd homebrew now and again. lol For me the psp scene has been winding down now for ages (almost to the point of completely dieing out).

If people want to play DC games then the best bet will be the new pandora console seeing as the machines spec sounds it will kick serious butt in the homebrew world... or wait for the pc version to get up to speed... or just buy a real DC for like £10 with games from gamestation. lol

Apoklepz
August 5th, 2008, 02:02
Well....who cares really. Compared to the endless hours StrmnNrmn has put to the Awesome-but-nowhere-near-Perfect Daedalus, I say this one has a SLIM chance.:rofl:

Good luck and good riddance.:thumbup:

but then again, when a stable source is finally out, somebody might make it compatible with PSP Phat for some game that need less RAM *2D Capcom Fighter originally for CPS3*

...So I better shut up:cool:

Best of luck...he'll need it.

andwhyisit
August 12th, 2008, 00:35
Well....who cares really. Compared to the endless hours StrmnNrmn has put to the Awesome-but-nowhere-near-Perfect Daedalus, I say this one has a SLIM chance.:rofl:
But despite being not all that powerful the N64 is more difficult to emulate on the PSP from what I heard.