PDA

View Full Version : Open-Source Apploader, ISO template

wraggster
August 3rd, 2008, 20:33
Bushing (http://hackmii.com/2008/08/open-source-apploader-iso-template/) has released what is basically an Homebrew ISO Template for the Nintendo Wii, now we know Bushing is against piracy as are most and that includes DCEmu, heres his full post:

In order to make legally re-distributable ISO images for the Homebrew Channel installer, we had to remove Nintendo’s copyrighted apploader code and replace it with our own; we based ours on the one from GC-Linux. You may find the source and binary for it here:

http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/wii-apploader.tar.gz

Here is an empty “template” disc image that you can use in your own projects; it contains the above apploader.

http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/iso_template.iso.bz2

Enjoy!

Download Above and Give Feedback Via Comments

brasssmunky
August 3rd, 2008, 21:27
now nintendo will crack down.
but
it will allow us to play "legal backups"
i love that term. for it is never true.

matt678
August 3rd, 2008, 21:33
Does this mean homebrew will work sans Twilight Princess?

jrsmaster411
August 3rd, 2008, 21:39
this cant play backups legal or not it runs homebrew off dvds

Unicron2k
August 3rd, 2008, 21:40
Legal backups, as you say, are allowed in some countries, IF you own the original, AND can prove that you made it yourself(this applies in my country). Mod-chips are also legal, since mod-chips do not steal anything by themselves. So the fact that Nintendo dis-allow making copies have no meaning in a country whose law allow it.

But this is only the program which loads the executable on the disc. You can say it's a boot loader for the DVD. Instead of using Nintendos', we can now use our own. This will make the hombrew channel installer disc completly legal, altough, a mod-chip is still needed to authenticate the disc. This doesn't allow us to boot backup discs or pirated discs.

masterchief929
August 3rd, 2008, 21:40
who cares if Ninty cracks down. they already screwed up by not listening to bushing. i just think that Ninty wanted piracy to happen so they could completely shut down the wii homebrew scene.

firedragon_jing
August 3rd, 2008, 22:06
You know they are so against piracy, but they keep releasing these things that brings it one step closer. This might not allow piracy yet, but some advance coders can gain ideas on how to take it to the next level, especially with custom IOS available as well. I don't care, I'm not going to steal Wii games, they're just too big and I like having the actual disc and box.

Mysticcal
August 3rd, 2008, 22:07
I just hope this increases network cababilities on the wii as USB is too slow and SDcard has size limitations

oh, and reducing the need to burn DVDs... but ya know. space is always necessary.

Rebrek
August 3rd, 2008, 22:14
I'm not going to steal Wii games, they're just too big and I like having the actual disc and box.

I agree completely. That is actually one of the things that keeps me from piracy. As odd as it may sound, having a ROM or disc image just isn't the same as having the actual game.

h2923j42n2
August 3rd, 2008, 22:26
LOL, this isn't an ISO or "backup" loader. I believe that an actual Wii disc image contains a copyrighted apploader, which loads .dol files. This is simply a non-copyrighted apploader for homebrew discs, like the disc images for their Homebrew Channel. As of right now, your Wii will still need to be modified with a drive chip to make any use of this, anyway.

PeyeRate420
August 4th, 2008, 01:31
soon to follow is a new PATCHMII release or LEGIT HackMii CIOS ;) I would bet this is just a glimpse of the future having Imagine! 4 GIGS of songs on a DVD for Guitar Fun will be A riot I will release a torrent on p2p later with 200 plus tunes! for 2.9 but once I can make a DVD image to DL and Burn a Homebrew DVD will be an amazing milestone for brew!

firedragon_jing
August 4th, 2008, 02:57
I agree completely. That is actually one of the things that keeps me from piracy. As odd as it may sound, having a ROM or disc image just isn't the same as having the actual game.Now I'm not totally against piracy, I just don't want to pirate anything after the PS2, but DC and below where the games are harder to find and it takes extra consoles to run them, I use back-ups as a way to reduce space and revive older games. I like my Wii because it can combine all my old games in the convenience of one tiny box and I can use the GCN contoller or PS2 controller to play them. Same reason I like my PSP, I can take all my old games and play them on the go. With the PSP as soon as I can get a 32GB card, I'm going to get more PSX and PSP ISOs, but I'll buy PSP games I actually really like. DS though, as soon as I get my own, I'll do what I did with my gf's by getting a M3 DS Real. With handhelds I like to take them with me, but carrying around a pocket of games isn't always the best, and they can get lost, so having them in ROM or ISO forms on these systems makes it better. With the PC you just install the game, and that makes switching out disc annoying, so having the disc doesn't mean anything.

I do agree having the real game makes you want to play it more, reason I try and play through the games I don't exactly like, but sometimes it's just convenient not having to carry and switch games out and holding a bunch of games at once, and it's good when you find out you hated the game and you didn't have to waste money on it, but I haven't really played through a game I haven't payed for.

Solidsnake3000
August 4th, 2008, 03:58
So only homebrew no problem time fore me to play tetist all night. :)

cas61692
August 4th, 2008, 04:16
so it makes a .dol into a .iso so you can burn it to a dvd to play on a modded wii?

brasssmunky
August 4th, 2008, 10:12
ooh
this is indeed good then
for people with modchips.
i get it nao
that's amazing.

linkenski
August 4th, 2008, 11:24
what is this thing?

can i play downloaded gamecube images when copied to dvd after using this tool?

whYeNQue
August 4th, 2008, 12:16
i thought you didnt need a modchip...

as per this article:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125124

sonicjam
August 4th, 2008, 14:49
i thought you didnt need a modchip...

as per this article:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125124
you don't need a mod chip i don't know why people are saying you need one. but i got a question what tools do i use to inject homebrew in the iso. is it iso buster ????

BlueCrab
August 4th, 2008, 14:50
The DVD access library and this thing are two completely different things. Essentially what this thread is about is the bootloader that has to be on discs in order to make the Wii read the disc, once it is authenticated. Essentially, this is just releasing the code that makes it possible to boot the HBC installer off of a DVD if you have a modchipped Wii. I doubt many of the people posting in this thread that have no idea what this program is were ever involved in the Dreamcast homebrew community, but if you were, this is essentially the same thing as the homebrew IP.BIN for the Dreamcast.

The DVD access library is a completely different beast that has pretty much nothing to do with this program.

Also, anyone who uses this thread to talk about warez will be receiving infractions. This has nothing to do with copying games, neither Wii nor Gamecube, and warez discussion is not allowed on these forums.

whYeNQue
August 4th, 2008, 20:22
oh ok. thanks for clearing that up... it's just the way the articles were worded seemed like they were linked.