PDA

View Full Version : Pampered prisoners supplied with £221,726 of PlayStations

wraggster
August 3rd, 2008, 21:06
Prisoners across the country are being supplied with computer games consoles costing thousands of pounds of taxpayers’ money.

The Prison Service has spent £221,726 on PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo systems and software to keep jailed criminals entertained. Ministers have previously admitted spending only £10,000 on the machines.

An audit carried out last month on Justice Secretary Jack Straw’s orders turned up 12,948 game consoles in prisons and young-offender institutions in England and Wales, showing how widespread their use is among the 83,600 prison population.

While most of them were bought by inmates themselves, a total of 1,715, costing between £100 and £300 each, was provided by the Prison Service.

The Ministry of Justice recently announced restrictions on the use of the games but critics said this was because the extent of their use was going to be made public.

Officials at the department admitted that there was nothing to stop violent 18-rated games being played on taxpayer-funded machines and conceded that prison authorities may have purchased violent titles for some inmates.

Tory MP Nigel Evans, to whom Mr Straw disclosed the figures in a letter, said: ‘Does being sent down for five years of hard PlayStation playing serve as rehabilitation or punishment?

‘This is rewarding criminal behaviour with equipment which many victims of crime could only dream of affording for their children. People will be outraged by this revelation.’

Shadow Justice Secretary Nick Herbert said: ‘While Ministers protest that there is no money for prison places or rehabilitation schemes, they waste taxpayers’ funds on luxuries which prisoners shouldn’t have.

‘Offenders should be learning and preparing for the world of work, not idly playing Grand Theft Auto and preparing to return to crime.’

It was disclosed recently that thousands of inmates have access to Sky TV and computers, and last week it was revealed that more money is spent on food for prisoners in police cells than for NHS patients.

Prisoners are allowed to play 18-rated games such as Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt, which are notorious for their extreme violence.

However, from October, 18-rated titles will be banned in prisons altogether and the use of consoles will be restricted to only the best behaved prisoners or those on suicide watch.

In his letter to Mr Evans, Mr Straw claimed he had not known of the arrangement until recently. He wrote: ‘I was unhappy when I first heard [in April] that public money was being spent on games consoles, and ordered a review of this policy.

‘I have now decided that, with immediate effect, no public money will be spent on games consoles.’

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said decisions about purchasing consoles for inmates had been made on ‘a prison-by-prison basis’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1040932/Pampered-prisoners-supplied-221-726-PlayStations.html

masterchief929
August 3rd, 2008, 21:31
take the playstations away andgive the prisoners a job that pays ten cents an hour fixing the road.

Xiofire
August 3rd, 2008, 22:27
Isnt prison meant to be about teaching someone a lesson, making it hell so that they do not commit a crime again? Not a holiday camp with prepaid luxuries.

-Xiofire

osgeld
August 3rd, 2008, 22:56
heh give them a psp, what a wonderful idea

that way they can smash them on a hard surface (and everything is a hard surface in there) now you have all kinds of goodies

glass, pcb's and pretty tough plasic

just use some of those hardened microchips as grinding stones and you have shanks for everyone

stupid ass people, just hand them some metal, its much cheaper

alanparker05
August 3rd, 2008, 23:16
I don't agree with pampering prisoners too much but you have to treat them with some respect and not like caged animals so if they are used as a reward for good behaviour this can aid in their rehabilitation

myuusmeow
August 4th, 2008, 00:01
What is wrong with this world? That's almost half a million dollars going to make the murderers, rapists, burgalars, etc happy?! Shouldn't that be spent on education, health care, pot holes? Heck, anything but the scum of the earth would be good.

What idiot's idea was it to give them only to good behavior (not killing anyone) and suicidal people?! Next news item: Prisoners in UK Suicidal Rates up 90%!

pibs
August 4th, 2008, 00:35
while we are at it why not give the insane people kitchen ware to learn the proper way to cut meats.

osgeld
August 4th, 2008, 00:43
I don't agree with pampering prisoners too much but you have to treat them with some respect and not like caged animals so if they are used as a reward for good behaviour this can aid in their rehabilitation

yea im sure jimmy 3 fingers was respecting someone real good when he f*ked their grandmother

they are caged animals, have you not seen the inside of a prison even on tv?

theres x amount of insane idiots doing whatever to cause even more trouble behind their razor wire fences and CAGES, with a smidgen of people who truley feel bad for what they did, and those people do get rewards, instead of 23 hours of lockdown in THEIR CAGE, they get to do work, goto schools talking about their mistakes and gain privilages

not just heres a psp for everyone

Eviltaco64
August 4th, 2008, 00:49
You killed two neighborhood families?

Here's some Pizza and a Playstation 3!
Relax and a corrupt judge will have you out of here in no time!

juiceface
August 4th, 2008, 00:52
yeah but also remember that 2/3rds of all prison populations are locked up for some kind of drug offense in the USA. (I am not sure about britain) but the drug laws here need to be severely reformed.

It is a huge waste of taxpayer money to be sending people to prison for marijuana and other drugs. The government should not be able to tell people what to put in their bodies. I agree a murderers or rapists shouldn't get these systems, but the average person who is 'rehabilitating' to be a better person should be afforded these machines if they want to pay for them with their own money, not taxpayers however.

Triv1um
August 4th, 2008, 00:53
Bring back bread and water.

that1guywiththeface
August 4th, 2008, 01:15
yeah but also remember that 2/3rds of all prison populations are locked up for some kind of drug offense in the USA. (I am not sure about britain) but the drug laws here need to be severely reformed.

It is a huge waste of taxpayer money to be sending people to prison for marijuana and other drugs. The government should not be able to tell people what to put in their bodies. I agree a murderers or rapists shouldn't get these systems, but the average person who is 'rehabilitating' to be a better person should be afforded these machines if they want to pay for them with their own money, not taxpayers however.

Uhhh.... dude, it's not what they do to their bodies that they care about, it's what they do AFTER they put it into their bodies. For example: rape, robbery, jumping into lion cages and proceeding to taunt said lions, car accidents, manslaugter (unintentionally killing someone), unwanted pregnancy, violence, overdose resulting in death, and otherwise disturbing the peace. I've got relatives who do drugs, and I know classmates who do drugs. They're all dumbasses and deserve to have some life threatening disease instead of some poor child in a third-world country. Yes I would say that to their faces. Nuff said.

BTW, thats f***ed up that prisoners are getting video games. I can't even afford a 360 or a PS3, so i'll just go shoot someone, go to jail, than be a good little boy for 2 weeks and get to play with one. That makes a helluva lot of sense. Paroll is the extent of what rewards should be.

Mc_Logical
August 4th, 2008, 01:49
Damn I wonder if they pick up the prisons wifi too LOL with no security EDIT: Hmmmmm! organised crime through emails, stolen wifi from within prison lol you people exaggerate it like every prisoner has a ps3, its prob only a small percentage, but still I agree with it if they worked for it in prison

masterchief929
August 4th, 2008, 02:24

ur exactly right, let the drug dealers hand marijuana to kids and teens so they get addicted making the drug dealer rich.

lets also throw a few families dead after the guy high on marijuana wrecks into their car. also, lets make sure that the guy with the gun license loses all forms of reason and shoots other animals and people that are aroud him.

dude, you are completely right. NEVER control what people put in their bodies.

osgeld
August 4th, 2008, 03:24
bobby dimebag doesnt go to prison for possession of dope, they go to jail, if they do wind up in the big house its becuase they are so whacked out on drugs they

A) kept getting caught and proved themselves to be a harm on scociety

B) did something to harm another person, wether its murdering the rival slinger or killing someones 5 year old pulling out of burger doodle (i hate that commercial)

but, and lets be honest. you have to be a big fk up to be in prison (unlike jail where you can be sent there for pissing in the bushes)

jamotto
August 4th, 2008, 05:06
bobby dimebag doesnt go to prison for possession of dope

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics in 2004 20% of the prison population was filled with bobby dimebags.

jedikevin20
August 4th, 2008, 07:49
Alright guys, let me explain how our gov makes there money of these systems. My family is notorious for jail time and I've seen this first hand. Firstly, alot of prisons have a store. Not one where prisoners can go into but its done on paper. Items such a toothpaste, deteorant, sweatpants, underwear, candy, etc etc. THey also have video game systems on here for those well behaved prisoners. These items though are 3 to 4x times there actual worth. The prisoners aren't the ones who pay for these items, its the families. I still remember going to help my uncle by paying him a visit and while i waited for him to arrive to the conversation room, they handed me a paper with items such as a psp for 650 dollars, sweatpants for 45 dollars, deodorant for 15 dollars. I was like WTF!! I had no clue how the dang prison system rapes families so bad. If you didn't know, in alot of states winter style clothing is not given, it must be bought. So family dish out hundreds of dollars just to give there relative 2 to 3 sweatpants and sweatshirts to go under there orange outfits.

Eviltaco64
August 4th, 2008, 07:53
After reading jedikevin20's post, all I can say is...Corrupt.

paul3100
August 4th, 2008, 08:30
I worked for a while in kilmarnock prison (scotland) and we were always told that there punishment is actually being in prison, So whilst they are there they Do get treated with respect as long as its given in return!

Punishment is that they are locked away from there friends and family and have there freedom taken away, not all prisoners get a games console or other luxury unless they deserve it and they do have to pay towards the cost...

Besides if they are kept amused it keeps them out of trouble and makes the prison run a little smoother :-)

Still i can see everyone's anger when reading a head line like " prisoners get playstations " ...

paul

ricosuavez
August 4th, 2008, 08:42
prisoners are people just like you and me and i opposition to what i hear here ..they are not all rapist and drug lords violent crimes account for a minority of sentences...
freedom can not be replaced with any console, and that is their punishment...

some_guy_named_matt
August 4th, 2008, 10:35
damn.
i think i might rob one of yalls banks.

ill stash the millions for when i get out, but when im in the joint, ill be living like a king!

ITS A WIN-WIN!

[Matt]

Darksaviour69
August 4th, 2008, 11:05
I find it interesting that this article has gotten everyone all excited and what not.

It also brings up the question: Should prison be punishment or rehabilitation?

Eviltaco64
August 4th, 2008, 11:43
I find it interesting that this article has gotten everyone all excited and what not.

It also brings up the question: Should prison be punishment or rehabilitation?

Id say that if it were for drugs, rehabilitation with little punishment (unless it's someone smuggling large amounts of drugs, I think they can get the death penalty in the US).

If it's for permanently harming someone, then theyd better be punished.

I remember watching some show about Sing Sing (the prison) in New York City and the way they used to handle people before the electric chair.
Compare that to now when people commiting similar crimes usually get out extremely fast.

that1guywiththeface
August 4th, 2008, 20:00
In the US you only get the death penalty for pre-meditated murder.

BTW, the prisoners may be people, but they were acting in some way like uncivilized people, and are therefore treated as such. And seriously, like previous posters said, you really have to f*** up to go to prison, to the point where there should be no luxury rewards. Besides, in America (not sure about the UK) a lot of the people in prison are the stereotypical drug addicts/murderers/rapists/etc from ghettoes and other such crap. Anything with a screen that actually turned on could be considered a lot better than what they had outside of jail for some of them. If you don't believe me, turn on a few episodes of cops. Look where they are, look at what they do, and look at what they are wearing. Not exactly a lot of class there.

juiceface
August 5th, 2008, 00:03
Uhhh.... dude, it's not what they do to their bodies that they care about, it's what they do AFTER they put it into their bodies. For example: rape, robbery, jumping into lion cages and proceeding to taunt said lions, car accidents, manslaugter (unintentionally killing someone), unwanted pregnancy, violence, overdose resulting in death, and otherwise disturbing the peace. I've got relatives who do drugs, and I know classmates who do drugs. They're all dumbasses and deserve to have some life threatening disease instead of some poor child in a third-world country. Yes I would say that to their faces. Nuff said.

It's called self control. With your radical point of view alcohol should also be outlawed correct? I get it! You should only be allowed to take what drugs the government deem acceptable. I'm going to trust the government's judgement on what is good for me and what is not good for me. After all they know what's best for me and my body. Especially when perscription drugs kill over 100,000 people a year! http://www.pathlights.com/nr_encyclopedia/hn041598.htm. You go ahead and trust government and corporate America on what things to put in your body.

If an adult wants to drugs in the confort of their own home they should be allowed to. Stop taking my shit out of context. If someone takes a drug and commits a violent crime, the drug then becomes the scapegoat of their own free will. Just like the kid blaming his actions on GTA 4 in Thailand. Video games become the scapegoat. Everyone wants to blame somthing for their actions rather than just taking responsibility for their ****-ups. People are given free will and will do as they please with or without drugs.

rape, robbery, jumping into lion cages and proceeding to taunt said lions, car accidents, manslaugter (unintentionally killing someone), unwanted pregnancy, violence, overdose resulting in death, and otherwise disturbing the peace

People commit these crimes every single day without a drug in their system. Stop making drugs the scapegoat for all of these problems. You just want somthing convienent to blame drug use on just like every politician in washington. Thankfully we have people like this http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/30/frank.marijuana/index.html Rep. Barney Frank Leading the way to reform of these laws that cost taxpayers millions of dollars every year (you wouldn't know about taxes, you are still in school and never had to pay them.)

In the US you only get the death penalty for pre-meditated murder.

Wrong, you can get the death penalty for treason in the US Mr lawschool.

Besides, in America (not sure about the UK) a lot of the people in prison are the stereotypical drug addicts/murderers/rapists/etc from ghettoes and other such crap. Anything with a screen that actually turned on could be considered a lot better than what they had outside of jail for some of them. If you don't believe me, turn on a few episodes of cops. Look where they are, look at what they do, and look at what they are wearing. Not exactly a lot of class there.

I don't believe you. Everytime I watch cops it's them pulling over someone for possession of some drug or a domestic dispute. Not murdering, raping, or anything else of that nature. I bet you can't even find an episode of cops that exists with murder or rape. Whenever I see an officer locking up someone for a joint on cops I get pissed off because it is a waste of tax payer money. Did you know there are different levels of prison? Rapists, murderes and high level felons go to a high security prison. People who aren't "high risk offenders" get a sort of prison camp (think martha stewart). She sold some stock options with insider knowledge and got prison. She didn't "really **** up". It's relatively easy to get prison time. The people who are not high risk offenders should NOT be treated the same as those who are. You happily lump everyone who ever commited a crime into 1 category. Who cares if someone lives in the ghetto? does that make them a criminal?

You have made one true statement though. You stereotype everybody by their living conditions, and what cloths they wear. Just because people are poor and aren't like you they ought to rott in prison anyways. You should think about your elitist statements before you type them on the keyboard for the world to see.

ur exactly right, let the drug dealers hand marijuana to kids and teens so they get addicted making the drug dealer rich

You just don't understand, ask yourself why are drug dealers 'rich'? it's because they are the only ones with the access to the drug supply. If you made marijuana or any drug legal the government would control the supply and then they could tax the said drugs for billions of dollars in revenue that could then build new schools, parks, and recreation centers for kids. This would end drug dealers completely, there would be no such thing anymore.

lets also throw a few families dead after the guy high on marijuana wrecks into their car.

So we should ban alchohal too? He could call a cab, or a designated drive, public transportation. Stop making drugs the scapegoat for peoples own decisions and free will.

dude, you are completely right. NEVER control what people put in their bodies.

Dude, I know I am right, thank you for re-affirming the obvious for me.

Mc_Logical
August 5th, 2008, 07:52
Arrogant bastard lol I notice peoples comments too and alot of thoughts run though my head, but to waste my time to argue against most if not all is too much of a control thing lol ok fair enough to correct people, but u make yourself not a likeable person, ud get bum raped in prison LOL