PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories On Firmware V2.00

wraggster
October 26th, 2005, 21:58
http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/psp-gta-usa8.jpg

Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=6533&lsaid=219793) is confirmed by several sources close to me that it works on PSP v2.0 firmware and above only.

Unlike other PSP Sites that promote warez by mentioning certain software we dont, the best way to play Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=6533&lsaid=219793) is by buying from a reputable site like Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=6533&lsaid=219793).

As you know this is the killer game for PSP and even if you do upgrade to v2.0 then Fanjitas Eboot Loader plays a lot of homebrew for the PSP, check out the details here -> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12797

Post your reviews of Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=6533&lsaid=219793) in our PSP Review forum.

xuphorz
October 26th, 2005, 22:34
WAB version changer works for SSX: On Tour, and that requires 2.00 also, so shouldn't it work for this?

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 22:40
oh all my dreams of a life of gta and homebrew are crashing right before my eyes this sucks

xuphorz
October 26th, 2005, 22:41
use wab changer, sum1 just tried it for me, it works

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 22:47
i thought that the wabchanger had been tried and failed due to the new video codec needed by gta that is on v2.00 only????

Psphreak
October 26th, 2005, 22:52
I'm going to post this before any more idiots like xuphorz post their "success" in loading GTA WITHOUT installing a legit 2.0 fw:
----------------------------------------

Now the Update:
As many of you know, GTA:LCS was came out today to some parts of the world.
Following the store release, a .iso popped up on numerous peer-2-peer sites.

We are hearing many different ways to boot this .iso file, which is 455 MB RAR'd / 1.16 GB Unpacked. Naoneo has been kind enough to shay his thoughts with us:

According to Naoneo (who has a reputation for knowing what he's talking about)

"As it stands i've taken the better part of the past 5 hours analysing things, testing various methods for both my retail umd and my on personal iso dump, and i've come to the following conclusion.
GTA:LCS REQUIRES the v2.00 firmware to operate, both the eboot and prx's are encoded in v2.00 fashion, this means that no ammount of file swapping or 'patching' of the boot.bin, far short of recompiling the original sources from scratch, is going to make a shred of difference, because the v1.50 firmware simply cannot execute or run v2.00 encypted data.

This leaves only 2 possible choices :
Upgrade to 2.00 and play the retail game
Someone (im looking at you humma), gets firmware loading nailed down solid, allowing the complete v2.00 firmware to be loaded up with the umd, or iso set in memory to load, it will then execute from either umd or iso without any issues.

This is far more than just differently encoded video or audio files, every bit of the code has been compiled and encoded for the v2.00 firmware, and as such until a way to successfully load the v2.00 firmware without issue arrives, only those owning a v2.00 psp and a legitimate copy of the game, will be able to play GTA:LCS.

Great work sony, i must say."

In other words, this is not a codec issue. (proven by people who have put the music/videos into other iso's and report them working fine)

Also it is being reported that version changers do NOT work (for running the game off UMD). You must actually update your firmware to 2.0 (not 2.01)

According to naoneo in regard to gtalc fix.rar
Originally Posted by naoneo
"The file matches the original eboot.bin byte for byte, its fake, just aimed at getting people clicking his lame assed refferal url's in the readme."

Source: Naoneo (Maxconsole)

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 23:04
come on man aint no need to be calling peeps idiots you could have made your point without the assy comments

Psphreak
October 26th, 2005, 23:13
My bad, guess I got caught up from reading sooooo many of these "i got it to work" topics. My apologies

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 23:15
it is really eating me up though, which too choose?

pepsolman
October 26th, 2005, 23:20
Has anybody figured out how to make their custom radio station on LCS yet? It doesn't confirm it in the book and its not picking up my mp3s in the music folder. Is there a certain way to do it? Please tell!!! :confused:

xuphorz
October 26th, 2005, 23:23
guess i should block that person that told me it worked then :P

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 23:23
never even knew you could do it have you tried a google search?

pepsolman
October 26th, 2005, 23:24
it is really eating me up though, which too choose?

You aren't choosing anything. You can do both. When are you gonna grasp that concept?

vincesecuricor2005
October 26th, 2005, 23:31
the thing is somedays i work very far from home and the train journey can be up to two and a half hours each way so i wanna play gta but then on the way back i might fancy a game of outrun or mario or sonic or donkey kong or monkey island or sqaurez or doom.......... the list is endless but i cant downgrade on the train cos i wont have the a.c. adaptor with me im not trying to be ignorant but NOW do you get my point fella

sitexec
October 26th, 2005, 23:47
Heres my take, GTA will probably eventually work with 1.5 for 1 reason.

UMD Emulator 0.8 provides flash0 and flash1 emulation, which means it can run UMD's, (yes UMD's as easily done when messing with the emulators) through its flash emulation and not the PSP's emulation, all that is needed is the flash0 and flash1 to setup the firmware to run. They have given us the 2.0 eboot, and the gta is encrypted with it, its only a matter of time before someone combines them. Im guessing with the next umd emulator, firmware booting might be a possibility, since its all running through the emulator. Hopefully, it wont require a byte-by-byte type of running. Either way, update to 2.0 from psphacks.com, then use the sxt downgrader and go back, easy. Its not like we have no possibilitys, people are just complaining for lack of ease.

Hell if you have 2 memorycards, you wont even need a computer to transfer files. just 1 to update to 2.00, and one with the downgrader and 1.5, geez people, the sxt one doesnt even use direct flash0 access, so it wont brick.

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 00:03
ok sorry lets hope its soon though ey

Psphreak
October 27th, 2005, 00:09
pepsolman:

Download Golden Wave, and the atrac codec. Rip any song you want and save it as an ATRAC3 file. It'll save it as a wav file, so change the extension to *.at3. Now just replace the game's at3's with the ones you made. I'm not sure if it'll work with games since I've only tried this with the emulator icons and they work fine.

YourStillWithMe
October 27th, 2005, 00:12
i have HIGH hops for this game because when rockman dash came out and all these updates came outwe thought oh no were screwed now! It took rockman dash a bit of time to get cracked along with Death Jr and we had to wait for the version changer. Yoshiro is working on the firmware launcher to launch the firmwares on our psp 1.5 (not an upgrade!!) because i think sonyxteam sees that these version changers are not going to always work. Lucky for me i have 2 psp's and i upgraded one and im gonna keep that one at 2.00 UNTIL a crack is found for this game. I was going to give my other psp to my bro but i might not now :) be patient everyone. Sony is a MAJOR corporation there not stupid. I guarantee you they predict our moves before we predict theres :) we just can work around them so just BE patient it is hard and i got anxious the night i bought it and it didnt run but im ok because i have 2 psp's i feel sorry for those of you that do not. . .but DONT upgrade! its still a risk downgrading your psps!!! you can brick it! dont do it everyday of your life just so you can play gta because in the end if you brick it you will be pist

o0sambo0o81
October 27th, 2005, 00:18
The custom soundtracks are availible after you beat a certain mission, from what i hear it isnt too far into the game.

Terial
October 27th, 2005, 00:33
mmmmmmmmm..... 2.0 required GTA... ahh sony, you have a mighty weapon at hand. ;) but! we have the Eboot loader! mwahahaha! Fire your mega-hype-cannon all you wish, you're only making the coders more determined to create exploits in your firmware!

But really, this is only going to push exploits like the Eboot loader and firmware loader further along. I really think the best thing to do, would be for sony to review homebrew applications, and then digitally sign the Eboots if it finds it to be acceptible. while this may rule out allot of the emus probably, we'd still have allot of kickass games to play (Noiz2sa anyone?).
anyway, I refuse to upgrade untill an exploit is created to launch unsigned code from the memory stick, i love my classic games on-the-go to much. This one's to you coders. *holds champaign glass up high* cheers... :)

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 00:34
sounds so cool but its not out in the uk yet and i cant be bothewred to import

Psphreak
October 27th, 2005, 00:37
I wonder what's the reason for the UK push back release date.

HepburnFan
October 27th, 2005, 00:41
I'm shocked. What should i do? Upgrade and GTA or Homebrew?

...i'm shocked

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 00:42
theyre gonna reencode the video so that the game works with 1.50? LOL

slayer2psp
October 27th, 2005, 04:57
this is why i have two psp one is 2.0 and one is 1.50 i got one used for 170 usa dollars but you can still roll back 2.0 so go buy the game it kicks ass the load times arent bad either nothing like midnight club 3 i just love rockstar last week the warriors for the ps2 and now gta for my psp rockstar the gods of games

VFerg
October 27th, 2005, 05:36
That they are! This is the one game ive looked foward to and now ill wait to spend what little money I have until a definate answer comes along that it either can be tricked to play it or not. If the answer is no I probably will still buy the game but since ive never downgraded wether it is going to harm my psp or not (since so many say the newer ones dont deal with flashing) Ide rather keep it at 1.5 until its confirmed that nothing can be done. I havent purchased a psp game since before summer began and glad to since there really is nothing worth it besides this right now, its also funny since I use my psp everyday just not for games just videos or emulation.

Zaibach333
October 27th, 2005, 06:51
well I went and used the WAB version changer V2 to test it out.

it doesn't say you have the wrong version.

but it hangs up on (FFFFFED3).

this really blows.... well it's a good thing I have my brother's psp here. ^_^

slik da relic
October 27th, 2005, 07:14
what does that mean? u bricked urs?

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 09:10
or doesnt want to upgrade his own? thats my bet

Chrone
October 27th, 2005, 20:28
The games not only encrypted in 2.0 but it uses video formats that 1.50 doesnt even support. I dont see this working on 1.50 unless someone pours an ungodly amount of time into it, basically re-writing most of the code, not to mention like Vince said re-encoding all the video in standard format, and I doubt it would even work after all that.

vincesecuricor2005
October 28th, 2005, 00:20
even more bad news i bought fifa 06 today and it works with version tricker BUT.... it tends to crash mid match occasionally arse

Viper Snake
October 28th, 2005, 01:34
We all know the best solution to this is to hack 2.00 to play emulators and homebrew.

vincesecuricor2005
October 28th, 2005, 01:40
but its got me thinking, weve had 2.00 for AGES and still no hack well no hack that allows the freedom of 1.50 so is it ever gonna be hackable and what about all those comments about 2.50 being possibly easier than 2.00 simply cos theres more on it = more chance of a loophole (sigh)

PSP_Newbie
October 28th, 2005, 02:19
The games not only encrypted in 2.0 but it uses video formats that 1.50 doesnt even support. I dont see this working on 1.50 unless someone pours an ungodly amount of time into it, basically re-writing most of the code, not to mention like Vince said re-encoding all the video in standard format, and I doubt it would even work after all that.
my guess is if they figure out the BFM or whatever firmware loader and they can boot 2.0 lets say and avoid all the trouble :D
i wish...

vincesecuricor2005
October 28th, 2005, 02:33
I think im safe in saying we all do fella

YourStillWithMe
October 28th, 2005, 02:46
I was going to give my brother my other psp for x-mas but umm that is no longer happening in seeing that Homebrew I can see is going to diminish in the near future. . . If Fifa 06 runs but freezes were all doomed guys. . . I have a 1.50 and im probably just gonna keep my 2.00 where it is for now at least until a crack for GTA has been found or something good comes along to the scene. I cherish my 1.5 with my life and let NO ONE touch it. YOU should do the same. If i were you i'd save up some $ and get another psp to play the new games and have homebrew at the same time i hated the idea for a LONNNGGGG time but got over it because I hink its worth it Homebrew and great media FOREVER as opposed to giving it up when half of the games suck on psp such a pain with the umd's too and so scary if you drop them or the system ISOS are sooo handy (I have 2 1gb mem sticks too ) and no im not rich i paid for all this stuff myself :) I work!

J sims
October 28th, 2005, 03:25
We should try to get the eboot loader for 2.0 to launch SXT Firmware BFM. Then we can launch 1.50 form a version 2.0 psp. To be honest I think were are a little closer to doing this than launching 2.0 form a 1.5 psp.

PSP_Newbie
October 28th, 2005, 03:35
only problem with that is it relies heavily on kernel-mode i believe, which the eboot loader cant access at all...so no system-related homebrew =(
until they figure out a way...

vincesecuricor2005
October 28th, 2005, 11:02
Call to all coders save us please!

MaxSMoke
October 28th, 2005, 12:39
Look, there is no difference between video and audio in Firmware 2.0. Well the video player has been upgraded to be more open, it still plays MP4 video, just like it did before. I've personally encoded and watched 4 full length movies on my PSP since I've bought it. Somebody actually extracted audio AND video from GTA and played it on a Firmware 1.5 system by replacing files in a SSX Tricky ISO. The guy said it played just fine, he could see GTA's intro and play some of the radio stations. There is NO issue with video or audio.

So the only *REAL* issue are the encrypted data files the GTA Eboot file needs. Because of the hardcore, DoD-style encryption, the Eboot can't be just cracked, it would take about 10,000 years to do using brute force. What's needed is the 2.0 Firmware running, somehow, in the background. This means the only way around is on Firmware 1.5 systems is to get Firmware 2.0 emulated somehow. Once Firmware can be emulated, Sony won't be able to stop any future Homebrew. We'll be able to play our stuff using new Firmware emulation until the end of time.

Personally, I'm as mad as Hell over this, because I pre-paid for my GTA-LC months ago! I had it all paid off, and this Tuesday, when it was released, was going to be a special day for me. Instead, it was a HUGE disappointment. And I can't help thinking this is going to happen again and again in the future. With some patience, this isn't a huge problem, since hacks and cracks are always being made by some dedicated and kind hearted people... but I'm really sick of waiting. I'm going to buy a 2nd PSP, maybe a white one, and screw it up with all of the latest firmware it'll take. That way I'll have one good PSP (my Hero in Black), and one hosed PSP (the loser in White), to enjoy all PSP software with.

Now to just come up with $275 for yet ANOTHER PSP. :p

YourStillWithMe
October 28th, 2005, 20:19
Good idea I have 2 but im trying to keep them as low as possibl so i can cherish homebrew on them BOTH. One is a 2.00 now (for gta) and the other is a 1.5 and i wont be downgrading my 2.00 until a crack is made for GTA. I'm ALWAYS going to try to keep that 2.00 one as low as possible the 1.5 it will stay that way FOREVER mwahaha!

parabolee
October 29th, 2005, 00:42
I upgraded to 2.00 with the intention of downgrading later when a 2.00 loader is created (which I expect to be the way around this problem).

But right now I'm pretty happy with the amount of homebrew the 2.00 Eboot loader runs! Doom, SnesTYL0.1 and CaSTaway all run!! And they are three of the most important homebrews to me. If only the latest version of SnesTYL, ScummVM, UaePSP PSPGenesis worked then I would have no reason to go back to 1.50 at all.

Also the web browser is way better than I expected, although it can be slow with some of the larger web pages.

I wish I had the money to waste on another PSP but with the 360 around the corner I don't. Also I think I'd get a GP32 instead of another PSP.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 00:47
but what if 2.00 loader isa never able to access kernel?

Zaibach333
October 29th, 2005, 00:58
I really think somebody is already in the process of dumping the 2.0 for the UMD emulator. and there's nothing to worry about

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 01:00
cool has anyone heard anything bout cracking 2.50 yet?

parabolee
October 29th, 2005, 01:00
Well then I will have to hope that a 2.00 firmware loader is made soon.

That or wait untill I finish or get bored of GTA. But I fear this constant battle against Sony firmware will eventually make me buy a second PSP. DAMN THEM!!! THEY WIN EITHER WAY!!!

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 01:01
......and always will

parabolee
October 29th, 2005, 02:27
Dude you may want to think about slowing down with the posts. From what I can see you were the last poster in EVERY TOPIC in this section of the board!!! People get banned for spamming like that. luckily for you you seem to be posting relevant posts but you may get a warning for spamming.

Oh and are you still having trouble with UAE? Because I have it working no problem.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 10:43
yeah still aint got it goin if you could help then a pm or something would be well appreciated, with regard to my postin i only get limited periods of time on my computer but love to know as much as poss bout this beatiful machine (psp)

Zaibach333
October 29th, 2005, 21:44
I do that sometimes too. but its all talk of the psp, or the topic..... well, beneficial anyway.

nothings stupid that has nothing to do with what anybody is saying.

so dont feel bad chap

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 21:58
but i do its like cos im in security i work LONG hours but enjoy knowing and talking bout psp so much could do it all day long (but the wife would probably top me), but im sure im always on topic and with a valid point so sorry but thats the way it is geezer

jman781988
October 30th, 2005, 23:24
ok you guys i dont know why this happend, but i tried to swap umds to play gta-lcs and after i did i couldnt play dgen (sega genesis emu) does anyone know wtf happend?

iball
October 30th, 2005, 23:31
UMD swap trick won't work with GTA since 1.5 does not have the new 2.0 encryption keys needed to run GTA.
Reset back to default settings in the menu.

vincesecuricor2005
October 31st, 2005, 00:12
its a killer aint it