PDA

View Full Version : Vista On the PS3

wraggster
August 4th, 2008, 17:59
On youtube mopx0 has posted a video of Windows Vista installed on the PS3, the whole process takes a day to install and vista is as slow as hell, but heres the video for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/v/w-CrEAzpuxc

Tutorial from the youtube video page

Tutorial:
Install Qemu 0.9.1

Install Vista on your Computer using Qemu and Bochs Bios Rev 1.171 by sshwarts
-Vlite helps speed the install up, Vista's install make take a day or so
-Bochs Bios Revision 1.171 can be found here
http://bochs.cvs.sourceforge.net/bochs/bochs/bios/BIOS-bochs-latest?view=log&pathrev=MAIN
You may also need to add this command "-cpu pentium3" for qemu to work right
Copy the .IMG to your PS3's HDD

Open Terminal where the Vista IMG is located
type qemu -hda vista.img -m 256 -L "Location to Rev 1.171, Drag n Drop" -cpu pentium3
-the -cpu pentium3 option makes it so it doesn't BSOD with error code 7F

It will take about 25 min to fully boot (network connection and audio show up)

JKKDARK
August 4th, 2008, 18:12
wow, it's really good. Install Windows on PS3 must be better for homebrew stuff now.

Napalm-Death
August 4th, 2008, 18:28
wow, it's really good. Install Windows on PS3 must be better for homebrew stuff now.

I'd hope so, but I'd take XP over Vista.

Harshboy
August 4th, 2008, 18:57
Shitty OS + Shitty Console = ???

Auriman1
August 4th, 2008, 19:13
I'm sure the PS3 is more fitted for XP, like most computers.

Shrygue
August 4th, 2008, 19:55
So someone managed to get Windows Vista noto the Playstation 3? Astounding, though I bet it will be slow as hell though, maybe better with XP perhaps. Still good work that.

Xiofire
August 4th, 2008, 20:07
Shitty OS + Shitty Console = ???

I still dont see why PS3 haters come to the PS3 section of this website? Do you just enjoy moaning about a piece of hardware that you probably dont own? Yes this may be useless, but it is a POC, just showing it can be done.

-Xiofire

Zin0099
August 4th, 2008, 20:55
knew this would happen someone please get winXP running i will get a bigger hdd an external dvd burner and play my win95 games

Mc_Logical
August 4th, 2008, 21:35
Nah! XP still lags, u can install it the same way using qemu, it emulates it within linux, if it was installed somehow on the Other OS then it would prob be alot faster EDIT: Or wait this vista is installed on the Other OS? (can`t watch video) but stil qemu is to emulate, if 3D access wasn`t blocked in the Other OS then maybe it would be faster?

Eviltaco64
August 4th, 2008, 21:52
That's very nice.
It might run slow, but damn..you dont see the other consoles doing that!

ICE
August 4th, 2008, 23:01
That's very nice.
It might run slow, but damn..you dont see the other consoles doing that!

I dont want any of my consoles to to run vista..

Eviltaco64
August 4th, 2008, 23:31
I dont want any of my consoles to to run vista..

Neither would I. Still, it's looking great from a technological point of view.

F9zDark
August 5th, 2008, 03:25
So someone managed to get Windows Vista noto the Playstation 3? Astounding, though I bet it will be slow as hell though, maybe better with XP perhaps. Still good work that.

Well from the sounds of the "tutorial" its emulating the OS, probably from WITHIN Linux, so no doubt its slow as hell; even with all the power the PS3 has to offer (even if it was unlocked), running 2 OSes on top of one another is going to be slow as balls.

ICE
August 5th, 2008, 03:31
Hmm balls are notoriously slow..

Mc_Logical
August 5th, 2008, 08:36
Fair play to the guy that done this, but to go away and do this yourself and take a day to install it, just to find out its slow as hell, ud have to be a bit stupid lol thats why I never tried windows XP ive seen the same results on youtube, and browsed how too