PDA

View Full Version : Destroy All Humans PSP Cancelled

Shrygue
August 4th, 2008, 21:33
via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/896/896258p1.html)

The current PSP release schedule is pretty much a cut-rate psyche test -- is the glass half full or half empty? Folks leaning toward the optimistic answer have been dealt a blow today; THQ has officially canned Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed on the PSP.

"Basically, the PSP version was cancelled because of control issues," a THQ representative told IGN. "DAH! Big Willy Unleashed was designed by [a] Wii developer specifically for the Wii. When it was ported over to the PSP, the controls simply didn't translate well, and instead of pushing out the product with translated controls, it was cancelled."

So, the big guy's still coming to the Wii, but PSP gamers have been left probe-less.

flaminfox
August 4th, 2008, 22:16
lol, 'cut-rate', the psp barely has any new games looking forward to anyway, and this game would've been fun on the psp, .....guessing a petition is going to start soon lol

JKKDARK
August 4th, 2008, 23:23
Too bad, because PSP is doing very well lately.

jamotto
August 4th, 2008, 23:40
Darn I was looking forward to playing this one.

Veskgar
August 4th, 2008, 23:48
This game wouldn't have been fun with horrible controls. Some are pessimistic about this news but I see the bright side of this. To me, this means that developers now realize the PSP is not a hardware platform that they can just throw their shovelware at anymore. Too many games for the PSP have been thrown together too quick, ported, or just plain rushed.

With the PSP's continued and ever improving success and popularity, developers will have to really go back to the drawing board and release some really great exclusive PSP titles.

Sure, the PSP may not have DOZENS of top rated games heading its way before the end of 2008, but there are definitely plenty to keep us PSP fans satisfied. Here are a few:

1.) Star Wars - Force Unleashed
2.) Lego Batman
3.) Star Ocean First Departure
4.) Valhalla Knights 2
5.) Crash Bandicoot - Mind Over Mutant

And depending on a portable gamers' taste, there is a huge list of games still to be announced for release before 2009.

Speaking of 2009, that will be an incredible year for the PSP. I just don't want people to be too negative about the PSP. The games are not dying and the homebrew scene is still alive and kicking. What's not to be happy about?

osgeld
August 5th, 2008, 00:10
aye, id rather them cancel it than put yet another port with craptastic controls that would be no fun

less to bitch about is good right :)

ICE
August 5th, 2008, 01:48
That blows. That was one of the very few games I was curious in for psp... I guess I'll be playing Madden for another year :(

mike_jmg
August 5th, 2008, 02:49
I was looking foward to see this game

But maybe you're right Veskgar it could be a sign of developers realizing we don't want crappy ported or rushed games. Hope it is, that would be amazing :thumbup:

And Hope 2009 will be the year of the PSP, cause 08 doesn't look that promising

jamotto
August 5th, 2008, 03:03
This game wouldn't have been fun with horrible controls.

I not really convinced that it is just bad controls that got this cancelled. I suspect it was more of a business decision. A game's controls are one of the first things that get implemented during a games development as you can't really test the game without them.

osgeld
August 5th, 2008, 05:14
yea well it was the first thing, 2 versions ago on a different platform
if they cant port it right its not really worth soiling the franchise by making "yet another crappy port"

i support the decision, goes along with my "if you cant do it right" attitude

crazyhare
August 5th, 2008, 08:27
Another nail in the psp's coffin...

JLF65
August 5th, 2008, 09:18
I not really convinced that it is just bad controls that got this cancelled. I suspect it was more of a business decision. A game's controls are one of the first things that get implemented during a games development as you can't really test the game without them.

I agree. This had NOTHING to do with controls. Even if the controls were fatally flawed, once you've identified the problem, it's hardly an hours work for a competent programmer to fix. Does anyone SERIOUSLY think that after spending months and thousands on a port that they're going to can it for "bad controls"? If so, send me you email address and we can talk about this bridge I'm selling. :rolleyes:

ashamanmiller
August 5th, 2008, 16:52
ditto... i was looking forward to seeing this released for psp... ugh.