PDA

View Full Version : GTA and other Game FORCED Firmware Upgrades

Jdemon
October 28th, 2005, 15:29
From what I've read in other places 'Grand Theft Auto - Liberty Stories' not only asks you to upgrade the firmware ,the game actually was build on it. This means it needs elements that are upgraded in the 2.0 Firmware in order to run. Mainly some kind of video/movie processing I think. This would mean that any way of "tricking" the game into running, like SXT Version Changer won't work. So my question is:

If you have the 2.0 Firmware and run the Downgrader, are you actually going back to the 1.5? Or will a PSP that has been at 2.0 and run the dowgrade now be able to run SXT Version Changer to run games like GTA and still be able to run homebrew?

aruka57
October 28th, 2005, 16:05
it's a full 1.5, so no GTA

iball
October 28th, 2005, 20:06
The game boot/load files were encrypted using 2.0. The video codecs used in the game itself are the same codecs as used in 1.5. That has been proven by others who slapped them into an SSX ISO and were able to view them there on a 1.5 PSP.

Jdemon
October 28th, 2005, 21:22
:confused: So the possiblity does exist that it can be fooled into working on a 1.5?

iball
October 28th, 2005, 21:32
:confused: So the possiblity does exist that it can be fooled into working on a 1.5?
In a word? No.

Now, if somehow you were able to get ahold of both the GTA LCS source code AND the official Sony PSP SDK, then you could recompile it using the 1.5 encryption and THEN it would load just like any other ISO game.

Virus
October 29th, 2005, 00:27
what i think someone should do is make a homebrew fiel that is needed for the GTA, i think its the video format or somthing, but just make that folder as just the same as it is for the v2.0 and make it be detected by the game so it will play the danm video format. i think the next 2.0 eboot will have alo more emus on it, plus it soon will have full functionality, plus i hope that gba emu coems out with version 1.2

HeX
October 29th, 2005, 04:08
If they come out with that thing that lets you emu 2.0 on 1.5 then we would have no worrys,

Jdemon
October 29th, 2005, 14:14
Does anyone know if this is going to ge the case with Star Wars Battlefront II? And games in general for that matter?

morca007
October 29th, 2005, 18:30
I would err on the side of yes. Most likely Sony see's how helpless we are with LCS, and they now figure that as long as they make all new games like this, they can get rid of all piracy.

pspthankyou
November 1st, 2005, 20:08
i dont think so, because when the people is able to hack it, then it is no problem when they make all the new games like lcs

Jdemon
November 2nd, 2005, 05:19
I think Sony is doing a good job of forcing things the way the want them with the PSP. They may not be stopping the piracy of their system's games but they are certainly keeping it limited. By forcing upgrades on new games they will continue to keep one step ahead of the hackers. And by keeping up their propaganda they will keep the average person 'in line' with the threat of their PSP becoming a brick. Under the guise of security they will try to keep control, and in the majority it will work.

I'm glad to see the games getting better and better but I'm sure as hell not going to Upgrade my 1.5 EVER!!! I'd sooner buy another one.

If their is a forced upgrade on SWBF2 they have found a way around it. Now lets just hope LOTRT will work for 1.5 too :D

skyd1v3r
November 2nd, 2005, 05:21
;) there is NO forced upgrade on SWBF2.
I can confirm that it runs on 1.50, I am playing it all the day.
However, I have used the versionchanger to set my version on 2.01
Any loader seems to work, use your favourite.

Jdemon
November 8th, 2005, 15:10
I've seen alot of conflicting posts about GTA. Anyone know what's up with it? I know it has a forced upgrade but is it working on 1.5 in any way shape or form?

echel0n
November 8th, 2005, 20:13
If their is a forced upgrade on SWBF2 they have found a way around it. Now lets just hope LOTRT will work for 1.5 too :D

are u saying star wars BF2 works with 1.5? i am debating buying it but unless i can use the vers0n changer to make it work, it would be a waste of cash

IndianCheese
November 10th, 2005, 03:57

I did. LOL and if you want to know how you'll have to beg and plead and cry.

Jdemon
November 10th, 2005, 16:10
You did What Indian Cheese?

SWBF2 is playable on 1.5 with Fastloader 0.7 but I'm not sure about the actual UMD.

It's looking like LOTRT will be the same as GTA :mad:

echel0n
November 10th, 2005, 17:08
::: sigh :::

looks like i will just have to save up and buy another psp...

1 psp for hb, 1 psp for commercial games..

Jdemon
November 10th, 2005, 23:14
I've heard that LOTR tries to start but when it gets to the second screen it crashes so I'm hopefull that someone will be able to patch this one. (ihopeihopeihope)

iball
November 10th, 2005, 23:37
Won't be patched if it's using 2.0-specific (and encoded) modules to save the game.
Now you know why it crashes when you try to load, save, or move to a new level (autosave).

IndianCheese
November 11th, 2005, 05:48
I made a development today. I got to the animated loading screen of SOCOM on a 1.50. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I know it involved a "firmbrew" mix of 2.00 and 1.50 made by me, UMD Emulator, and Devhook. I also know for a darn fact that I can run 2.00 UMDs, not ISOs, on my 1.50. I just need a 2.00 UMD to confirm it.

Jdemon
November 11th, 2005, 16:33
Very interested in seeing what comes of your experiments IndianCheese :D
Is it possible for you to rent a new 2.0 UMD from someplace like Blockbuster (not sure where you live)
I've been messing around with LOTR myself but I really don't know anything about what I'm doing, so I'm just shooting blindly. I removed the files in the sysdir update as that seems to be a standard. I removed/tested some of the intro movies. I also replaced the prx files in the kmodule and the module folders with ones from Fifa06 since that works on 1.5.
Nothing I've done has had any effect at all, but I'm thinking LOTR might be hackable since it does seem to be trying to load. I think iball is correct though because it crashes just when it seems to be checking for a savefile.

Humbug
November 11th, 2005, 16:55
nice work indian :)

IndianCheese
November 11th, 2005, 18:36
Very interested in seeing what comes of your experiments IndianCheese :D
Is it possible for you to rent a new 2.0 UMD from someplace like Blockbuster (not sure where you live)

OMG I never thought of that I am an idiot! Will do sometime very soon! :)

IndianCheese
November 11th, 2005, 18:45
Wow. I just did something unusual. I booted version 2.00 on my 1.50. Something is wrong with it though. It has the network icon, but no browser. It runs homebrew with the 2.00 game starting screen. And if you try to do anything other than play a homebrew game or run a UMD, it freezes. Now if only I had a 2.00 UMD or a big enough Memory Stick for a 2.00 ISO, I could test it!

And the weirdest part is that I can boot back to 1.50 in a few seconds.

Can someone tell me which UMD games (besides GTA and SOCOM) require the 2.00 update?

iball
November 11th, 2005, 18:55
Wow. I just did something unusual. I booted version 2.00 on my 1.50. Something is wrong with it though. It has the network icon, but no browser. It runs homebrew with the 2.00 game starting screen. And if you try to do anything other than play a homebrew game or run a UMD, it freezes. Now if only I had a 2.00 UMD or a big enough Memory Stick for a 2.00 ISO, I could test it!

And the weirdest part is that I can boot back to 1.50 in a few seconds.

Can someone tell me which UMD games (besides GTA and SOCOM) require the 2.00 update?
It's NEVER going to work since the programs that "emulate" the firmware do NOT have the ability to emulate it FULLY.
Simple searching through other sites would have shown you that.

IndianCheese
November 11th, 2005, 20:14
It is not emulating the firmware; it IS the firmware. I have booted it onto my system and can boot it off, too.

Farcicalname
November 12th, 2005, 11:11
LOTR

Jdemon
November 13th, 2005, 02:06
And LOTR will fit fine on a 1mb also

I just read that LOTR is working (movies/update ripped) on 1.5 using UMDE 0.8c can anyone confirm/dispute this?

GoD_sPeeD
November 16th, 2005, 23:21
I write this just to give an idea that might work if people read it...
allmost every one could downgrade to 1.50fw, but sony make games that people desier to fw 2.0,firmware that can't run fastloader(or as i read ppl can't access to kernel mode).. well the idea is downgrade to 1.50fw and then crack the upgrade for 2.0fw in a way that people could run 2.0umd and 1.5homebrew...and even if sony keep lunching new fw..some one should crack it before instaling it.... :P

bambam
December 12th, 2005, 09:55
So chaps, I have read long and hard this thread and a number of others on here and I still can't decipher whether or not a way has been paved to play GTA and other 2.0 specific games on a 1.5 operatng system, whilst still keeping your PSP Homebrew happy.

I am a million miles from truly understanding all this buisness, so if someone could put it in simple parlance for me I would be greateful. :o

Kind regards

BB

echel0n
December 12th, 2005, 16:33
So chaps, I have read long and hard this thread and a number of others on here and I still can't decipher whether or not a way has been paved to play GTA and other 2.0 specific games on a 1.5 operatng system, whilst still keeping your PSP Homebrew happy.

I am a million miles from truly understanding all this buisness, so if someone could put it in simple parlance for me I would be greateful. :o

Kind regards

BB

Nope. no way, as far as I know, although there are rumors, I have yet to see it done.