PDA

View Full Version : PSP Got Nuthin’ On GP2X (Except Games)

wraggster
October 28th, 2005, 19:40
Source - Gizmodo (http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/psp-got-nuthin-on-gp2x-except-games-133821.php)

<blockquote>This handheld runs on Linux, and we all know that means it can do everything but clean the crumbs from under your keyboard. The GP2X player has a dual core ARM processor, 64mb NAND Flash RAM, SD memory card slot, a 3.5” TFT screen. It plays photos, movies, music and games, you could even read an eBook because you are probably smart like that if you own this gadgy. Utilities and emulators? Don’t bore me with your silly questions. Think Quake, Doom, SNES, Megadrive, MAME, and media players galore. You can even connect the GP2X to a TV. For a more than reasonable $190, you’ll get the player, USB Cable, manual and 1-year warranty. Oh, also, it runs on two AA batteries. What does PSP stand for now, huh? Pretty Sucky Peripheral? Poor Sony Poo-poo?</blockquote>

More info at http://www.gbax.com/main.pl and also at http://gp2x-emulation.dcemu.co.uk

iball
October 28th, 2005, 19:57
In other words, the GP2X unit does everything my Sharp Zaurus 5500 does except it lacks a keyboard and connects to a TV?
Put the price is very reasonable. I've checked this thing out on their website and the specs are nice and impressive and it's BUILT for homebrew, which is a definite plus.
But I think only the hardcore are going to get these, and it's lifespan will be much like that of the Zaurus 5000/5500 was.

Zephyroth_drgs
October 28th, 2005, 20:01
how bout multiplayer? can it compete on wifi incrporated mutligaming, and navegation, psp?
alas... 2aa battery? i know it can be purchased separately, and charged too, but incorporated rechargeable battery is a big point

quzar
October 28th, 2005, 20:39
how bout multiplayer? can it compete on wifi incrporated mutligaming, and navegation, psp?
alas... 2aa battery? i know it can be purchased separately, and charged too, but incorporated rechargeable battery is a big point

Except for the fact that 3 years from now it will cost you quite a bit to be able to get a new battery (if you can at all). It is the same argument with the SP and the Ipods. Once that battery is dead, you're screwed. AA is a standard format that you'll be able to find for years to come at reasonable prices.

iball
October 28th, 2005, 20:44
Well, years from now you'll be able to hack a 5v DC source for the PSP from just about anything. Right now I'm charging mine off the USB port on my laptop.
I know it kinda defeats the "portable" purpose by making it a little ungainly many years from now, but it would still be working and not cost a lot.

pea
October 28th, 2005, 20:53
No Wi-Fi. That's a bit of a shame. But apart from that, I'd love to see a big 'homebrew' scene on this machine. I'd definitely buy one.

Edit: actually, nah, I'd want Wi-Fi.

quzar
October 28th, 2005, 21:05
Well, years from now you'll be able to hack a 5v DC source for the PSP from just about anything. Right now I'm charging mine off the USB port on my laptop.
I know it kinda defeats the "portable" purpose by making it a little ungainly many years from now, but it would still be working and not cost a lot.

Um... 5vDC is very uncommon for standard batteries. Everything is in denominations of 1.5v. Also, if the battery dies, you won't be able to recharge it via laptop.

bobcobb
October 28th, 2005, 21:15
Yes, without wifi this machine just doesn't cut it. With great homebrew support, AND good wifi capabilities the possibilities are endless. What I'm waiting for on the PSP, this machine could have accomplished.

Infrastructure homebrew multiplayer. Although nothing, even official games, have really used infrastructure multiplayer, the future will provide us with such games. And that is one of the biggest reasons I was interested with the psp.

iball
October 28th, 2005, 21:26
Well, since it uses SD, it might be possible to use an SD-wifi card, but then you lose mass storage?

Sad that a circa-2002 Zaurus 5500 kicks it's butt right now (CF AND SD slots and keyboard). I used mine all the time to track down unauthorized wireless APs in my workplace and have the users fired.

bobcobb
October 28th, 2005, 21:38
Aye, but a Zaurus is quite a bit more expensive, even as of now.

*o*
October 28th, 2005, 21:56
read an independant review its emulation is slightly better than psp but its got useless media playback

bobcobb
October 28th, 2005, 22:08
Its emulation is better because emulation is coded with the GP2X's hardware. If we could do the same with the PSP, emulation would probably be better than the GP2X's.

DAMN YOU SONY!

benn
October 28th, 2005, 22:28
Its emulation is better because emulation is coded with the GP2X's hardware. If we could do the same with the PSP, emulation would probably be better than the GP2X's.

DAMN YOU SONY!

remeber the GP2X! lol

BTW love your sig bobcobb! Dubbya is a dik! the sooner you guys lose him the better!

bobcobb
October 28th, 2005, 22:33
Agreed. Although most people in the world have no clue how bad its gotten, especially recently. Its like he doesn't care anymore.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 01:08
lol how much is the gp thingy in gbp

parabolee
October 29th, 2005, 01:15
Wil the GP2X run eveything that thw GP32 runs? been looking into this and I think I might get one of these instead of a second PSP because eventually Sony will make it too hard to keep running our homebrew and play the latest games.

And the Gp2X looks awesome it really does.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 01:16
no no no i NEED psp now i could never convert (well not for now anyway)

SchmuckofNI
October 29th, 2005, 04:03
Don't forget this thing comes from korea and its in korean! Unless there are language packs for it. Doesn't interest me, I already have portable emulation I don't need to pay 180 dollars for the gp2x.

Green_Hawk
October 29th, 2005, 06:00
It has some pretty good titles out now, especially with GTA now of course. With better games to come I hope! But sure, the launch wasn't very impressive and most of the 2nd half of PSP's first year is looking up just a little. At least there is a vast majority of 1.50 PSP's out there.

The new GP2X looks impressive, but homebrew wont sell it as much as new features and good new generation games will. Not to mention it doesn't carry the tag everyone is all familiar with.

quzar
October 29th, 2005, 06:15
Don't forget this thing comes from korea and its in korean! Unless there are language packs for it. Doesn't interest me, I already have portable emulation I don't need to pay 180 dollars for the gp2x.

Considering the previous system came in many language flavors, it probably won't be an issue.

slayer2psp
October 29th, 2005, 08:16
sounds great but only for emus no gta no ssx no toca race driver 2 no star wars battlefront no socom no midnightclub 3 should i go on the psp is way better bigger screen games i want to play bfd snes who cares about that old stuff any more.

quzar
October 29th, 2005, 08:33
so, you're on an emulation site, talking about how nobody wants emulation anymore?

i take it they put you in the special class and gave you a helmet too right?

I can't believe that people like you still manage to crawl out of the woodwork. look at the name of the site 'dcemu'. Yea, this is really dedicated to all the newest commercial games and nobody NOBODY cares about emulation.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 11:27
lol i love emulation and new games so psp wins hands down. sorted.

Hevyduty
October 29th, 2005, 14:08
Well, not seeing this as an either/or situation, I want both the PSP and GP2X. It's just going to take me some time to save the dough to buy the GP2X.

Unfortunately, the PSP is quickly becoming an either/or situation unto itself. Either you upgrade the firmware to play new games, or you stay at 1.5 and play homebrew/emus. GTA was the first salvo fired in that direction, but we can deal with it...at least this time. But what happens when Infected (the only upcoming PSP game that looks remotely interesting, as the rest are mostly PS2 ports) requires 2.01 or higher?

The day is approaching when we might need a PSP for commercial games AND a GP2X for homebrew/emus. Right now, PSP has the edge since it gives us both. But if there comes a day when Sony forces us to choose one or the other, then be thankful we have the GP2X.

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 22:52
but wat bout future releases like gtm, devil may cry and pro evo?

iball
October 30th, 2005, 23:28
I don't need a GP2X since I have my Zaurus 5500, but it does look cool.
Maybe if my Zaurus ever "breaks", I would then consider a GP2X. But being able to actually run PERL and a host of other things "natively" on the Zaurus with a built-in keyboard just makes my job all the much easier. Along with full wireless support, which the GP2X is lacking.

vincesecuricor2005
October 31st, 2005, 00:13
how much is a zaurus?

iball
October 31st, 2005, 00:17
Anywhere from $200 to $400. Use either Froogle or eBay to find one.

vincesecuricor2005
October 31st, 2005, 00:26
what is its primary use geezer?

quzar
October 31st, 2005, 01:16
You sound like a zaurus salesman .... <.<

vincesecuricor2005
October 31st, 2005, 01:24
it does sound pretty cool though quzar

iball
October 31st, 2005, 03:34
You sound like a zaurus salesman .... <.<
Just a satisfied user. It's my portable network sniffer now. Helps me debug issues within a large network. And by large, I mean traffic between cities on a 10mbps fiber circuit.
And it handles it well.

ataribob
October 31st, 2005, 03:47
if the GPxx is like the GP32 it will sux.
The screen was a dust catcher due to the poor gap between the screen and body

vincesecuricor2005
October 31st, 2005, 04:11
but if the homebrew is as good as every1 says then im starting to be convinced

LampDev
November 13th, 2005, 09:52
What's the big deal about the AA batteries?

Get rechargeable batteries and a quick charger (http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-powerex-mh-c204w-nimh-battery-charger.htm) and that should hold you over.

If you are on the road, then since it has an AC adapter and you should install an inverter (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294108). They aren't that hard to install (as long as you don't use the provided wire) and they are well worth it. I have an inverter in both my car and truck and both perform extremely well for both gaming and my laptop.

I just did a quick check to see how others installed inverters and I'm very impressed (http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/161/45/).