PDA

View Full Version : GTA Custom Soundtrack Loader

wraggster
October 29th, 2005, 00:04
Source - IGN (http://psp.ign.com/articles/662/662466p1.html)

<blockquote>This week's release of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for the PlayStation Portable has delivered fans of the handheld the biggest game yet for the system. With the game came a couple of surprises, including an unannounced feature on the Audio menu for Custom Soundtrack playback. The feature -- a popular add-on for the Xbox versions of GTA and a heavily requested feature for PSP game releases -- was not mentioned in Liberty City Stories previews, nor was it given mention in the manual, and the feature was non-operational in the game.

After a week of false rumors and questions, Rockstar has finally come out with an official announcement on the Custom Soundtrack feature in GTA: Liberty City Stories. The feature requires a special converter for use on your home PC that will change audio files into a format compatible with the game.

for Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
A couple of notes are of interest regarding this Custom Tracks application. First, although GTA is all about rhyming and stealing, Rockstar has made the decision to focus exclusively on purchased music. You can only convert music from a store-bought CD -- no tracks downloaded from a music blog, no tracks ripped from your buddy's CD collection. This also means no tracks bought and paid for from services like iTunes or Napster yet, but it could be possible that future versions of the Rockstar Custom Tracks feature might support alternative audio formats.

NOTE: IGN readers are reporting that iTunes' burning option will make CDs that are recognized as bought discs by the Rockstar Custom Tracks application, and have been able to upload tracks to their PSPs after first burning their music to a standard playable CD. We have not yet confirmed what will and will not work within Rockstar's application.

Interestingly enough, this is not called the "GTA: LCS Custom Tracks" converter -- it's the "Rockstar Custom Tracks" converter, and while Rockstar mentions the custom tracks are for play currently on GTA:LCS only, future PSP games from the company may be able to use the same music files. When you play music in the game, it does not mix in with the radio stations as in the Xbox feature for GTA -- instead, it plays like a CD player, with the left and right buttons switching the music track instead of changing the radio station (you will have to turn Custom Tracks off if you want to go back to the radio.) The Custom Soundtrack feature will interface with the FreeDB CD database for picking up the song names and other relevant info about the songs you are converting, showing up in the game so you know what you're listening to and can pick tracks easier from a big collection.

Before you convert, you must also have at least one GTA: LCS save file on your PSP's Memory Stick, or else the custom tracks cannot be imported. The Custom Tracks feature will not read music off of your PSP (MP3 or otherwise), and your PSP will not be able to read Rockstar tracks in the Music menu on the main menu -- these tracks only work inside the game. The program uses ATRAC encoding to massively and cleanly compress your music (it'll typically squeeze a CD down to half of what you get in MP3s of the same quality), but you cannot play ATRACs already on your PSP, or move ATRAC files into the Custom Track folder for play in the game. You must also have a USB cable to transfer the music from a PC to the PSP, and there is currently not an application for Macs to make Custom Soundtracks.</blockquote>

Download via the comments.

*o*
October 29th, 2005, 00:29
OH cruel fate why does doth taunt me this way!

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 00:58
why whats wrong with that at least it works.

Romshark
October 29th, 2005, 01:07
Despite what it says, it does appear to let you use burned CDs. Word on other sites is that others have used burned CDs also, as well as virtually mounted (Daemon) drives.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 01:10
cool cant wait to have freddie mercury blaring out while im shootin peeps up (joke) lol

pepsolman
October 29th, 2005, 02:04
How to put your own music on GTA: LCS without having the cd.

Warning: This tutorial is for moderate to advanced users only.

Programs you need to get before doing this tutorial:

* Nero (for burning the image)
* Daemon Tools (for emulater the cd/dvd rom drive)
* The Custom Track converter from Rockstar

Ok... the Custom Track tool from Rockstar only allows us to take tracks straight from a cd to the psp. This is how you take your own mp3 files and the get the program to send them to your psp.

So RCT thinks that it must have cda files inorder to rip... which means you would put in a cd and see the cda files. So how would I do this with my own mp3 files?

easy... make an image file

Step 1: Get all of your mp3 music files together in a folder. Make a text files of the names and what track number you have them as because when you convert them to aiff here in a minute they will lose there names and will be called track 1, track 2... etc.

Step 2: If you burn with Nero, open Nero Wave Editor, Open the Mp3 you wish, then File > Save As > "whatever", and select aiff format, viola! done. Open the Nero Burn Dialogue, burn an Audio CD, and drag your selections over. The CD will show up as Track1 Track2 Etc, be sure to include the Name and Artist info in Nero if you want to see them in Windows Media Player.

You can also open nero and go to encode files and make the output aiff.

Step 3: So now that your files are all aiff... burn the image on nero.

Step 4: Mount the image with daemon tools.

Step 5: RCT will see the image as a cd and will see the tracks on the image.

Step 6: Push the transfer button in RCT to transfer the files to your psp.

Step 7: Go into that folder on your psp and rename the tracks... if you numbered them like you should have and made your text document.. you will remember what is what and renaming will not be a problem.

Step 8: Go into the game and cut custom tracks on and there you go! Awesome! I'm so glad I finally figured it out!!

Please fill free to edit this or ask for more help if confused. You can also message me or email me for more info.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 02:06
nice one geezer they havent exactly made it easy on peeps have they

YourStillWithMe
October 29th, 2005, 02:08
Like 90% of my mp3's (over 4,000 are mostly cd's i dont care about not being able to load mp3's how big can the soundtrack be anyway?

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 02:10
thats some collection

*o*
October 29th, 2005, 02:24
why whats wrong with that at least it works.

because i have to wait 2 weeks for it to get to australia

pepsolman
October 29th, 2005, 02:30
OH cruel fate why does doth taunt me this way!

What cruel fate are you talking about?

pkmusicmaker
October 29th, 2005, 07:26
cool cant wait to have freddie mercury blaring out while im shootin peeps up (joke) lol

Yeah Freddie! I'll be doing the same

KerryKing
October 29th, 2005, 09:34
Here is an easier way to do it without cd.
Open Nero and add tracks to burn cd but instead burn to image drive.
Open image with a virtual drive.
Open Rockstar Custom Tracks.
Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no idea why that guy was doing all that other stuff
I did the selftitled deftones cd and it still brought up track listing.

Only problem had was make sure you unmount image before mounting another. It didnt change cds for me in the rockstar program.
I also tried to burn an image with more then 80mins of music and nero wouldnt let me burn the image. This way cut the time it takes to rip songs from orginial cd in half.

Programs I used to do this.
Nero
Alcohol 120% (other image programs should work if they support nero images)
Rockstar Custom Tracks

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 10:44
much, much easier nice one

*o*
October 29th, 2005, 12:37
What cruel fate are you talking about?

i have to wait 2 more weeks and i feel as if rockstar is mocking me...

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 00:13
what do you mean, for the uk release?

*o*
October 30th, 2005, 01:36
for the australian...

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 01:41
but are you willing to take the plunge and lose homebrew?

iball
October 30th, 2005, 01:56
You don't "lose" the ability to run homebrew, per se, you just lose the ability to run those eboots that require kernel-mode access.
Which currently are ALL ISO loaders and any emulator or program that makes kernel-access calls to the firmware.

samui_samu
October 30th, 2005, 02:03
How do you get Nero?

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 02:03
my problem with it is the things like snes92tyl0.02 and scummvm that it wont run, not iso loaders for them i dont care as if i like a game i purchase it.

pepsolman
October 30th, 2005, 04:53
but are you willing to take the plunge and lose homebrew?

There is no plunge to take because its 2.0 we are talking about.

You can simply go back to 1.5 when you are ready to play homebrew again.

No plunge required. Dur!

F9zDark
October 30th, 2005, 05:01
Well I got a 1.0 PSP and now a 2.00 PSP, so its not a problem for me. Plus, I was really falling out of using the PSP anyway. Homebrew is great and all, but it gets annoying seeing 10 of the same damn thing, just done differently... One of the pit falls of open source...

S34MU5
November 16th, 2006, 15:50
@pepsolman
Been there done that.
Its quite obvious