PDA

View Full Version : PSPPOP a software to download and read email

wraggster
October 29th, 2005, 17:05
Curly posted this over at PS2Dev (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3947)

Hi, all
It's the first message I put on this forum, it's to announce that I put on my website a software to download email from a pop3 server with a fix ip wifi connection.

I don't write DNS client, so you have to enter the IP addresse of the pop3 server. Moreover I search information on a dns client. For enter your information, you have to edit the pop.ini that you can find int ms0:\PSP\GAME\PSPPOP\.

The email viewers have a lot of problem due to the complexity of the text format. But the software save the email on the memory stick in the format *.eml. You can load them with outlook express. I made all my test with the wanadoo server (in France) so i don't know if it works with other server.
if people want the source, i can send to them.

bye
Curly

Download via the comments

iball
October 30th, 2005, 01:45
Well, it's a start, but plain POP3 is notoriously insecure, anyone with a sniffer can read it as it comes out between the server and the client. Hopefully he'll keep at it and code in basic read-only IMAP support as well as selectable port support for those of us running email servers on non-standard ports, as well as implementing SPOP for better security.
I mean, the PSP is a wireless device. Any script-kiddie with a wireless laptop running Ethereal is going to capture the POP3 traffic and read your mail at will if you're using this. Heck, I can do this with a Zaurus 5500 handheld!

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 01:54
so is there a way of beefing up security on this?

iball
October 30th, 2005, 02:14
There are plenty of ways, but it's up to the original coder to implement it.

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 02:32
bit off topic but can you code iball?

iball
October 30th, 2005, 02:37
I used to, a long time ago. Most of it was debugging early TCPIP protocols way back before there was an internet when it was called ARPANET, and some early HTML work back in the Mosaic era.

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 02:40
ever considered coding for psp (seems like your really getting into it)

iball
October 30th, 2005, 02:51
Oh no, those days are long behind me. I'm burned out enough dealing with Microsoft servers at work. I'll beta-test and report, but that's about it. Maybe tweak a little, but my skillset moved from hard coding into HTML, PHP, and javascript a few years ago.
Don't have the time nor the inclination to hard code anything for the PSP.

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 02:57
wish i could code but cant see it happening, did you see that wraggster may want some peoples help with the coding comp?