PDA

View Full Version : Woman pays $2,600 for 'upgraded' PSP

wraggster
August 6th, 2008, 17:49
Holy mother of God, this must be the worst ripoff for a PSP ive ever seen, myheart goes out to the woman.

From Electric New Paper article (http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,172505,00.html)

HER 12-year-old daughter wanted to buy a Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) to share with her friends.

Nicole said that she was overcharged for a Sony PSP that she had bought at a Lucky Plaza shop. -- Picture: ADELINE ONG
On 12 July, a 41-year-old sales assistant, who wanted to be known only as Nicole, went with her daughter to shop for one at Lucky Plaza.

After checking with several shops, she found out that the price ranged between $300 and $600.

She told The New Paper that she went to a shop owned by Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises. She said that the sales assistant there was polite and helpful, and helped her daughter to choose a black-tinted PSP.

He advised Nicole to upgrade the software on the PSP, explaining that this would allow her daughter to play more games as well as surf the Internet, among other things.

When Nicole asked him how much the games cost, he told her that they were free of charge.

He added that she only needed to pay for the PSP and licence for software upgrading.

He then took the PSP away to download the games and upgrade the software, she said.

He returned 15 minutes later with the PSP and the bill - a whopping $3,550.

Said Nicole: 'I was shocked. I thought he had written an extra zero by mistake.

'I told him that if the upgraded PSP was going to cost as much as a laptop, I might as well get my daughter a laptop.'

Nicole said that her daughter agreed that the PSP was too expensive, and said she didn't want it anymore.

But the sales assistant told her that it was too late as he had already downloaded original software onto the PSP and the licences were costly.

AGREED TO REDUCE PRICE

He agreed to reduce the price to $3,100, but Nicole said it was still too expensive.

He then offered reduce it further to $2,610, saying that he wouldn't include anti-virus software.

When Nicole insisted that she didn't want it, he said she still had to pay for the licences of the downloaded games, which would cost $2,000.

Said Nicole: 'Although it was crazy that I had to pay $2,000 for nothing, I thought that I could not expect the shop to pay for the licences.

'I couldn't walk away as it would be irresponsible of me.'

She asked him why other shops sold PSPs for between $300 to $600.

'He claimed that the PSPs they were selling were different because the licences for the software were not original.'

Convinced by the shop assistant, she paid $2,600.

But her brother told her that night that she had paid too much.

They went back to the shop the next day and asked to see the licences for the software, but were told it was confidential.

The shop insisted it did not overcharge Nicole, but agreed to waive the service charge.

After lengthy negotiations, the price came down to $1,400. But Nicole insisted the maximum she would pay was $1,000.

She got her way and received a $1,600 refund.

'It was still very expensive but I did not want to waste time,' she said.

She later went to the Consumers' Association of Singapore but was told that because she had agreed to pay $1,000, it could not pursue the matter further.

'All the while, the sales assistant had an innocent face, and was helpful and appeared sincere,' she said.

She added that she was not intimidated into paying.

When contacted, Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises declined to comment.

'My friends all say I'm so stupid,' Nicole said.

Ouch :P, Gotta say she was a bit of a fool

djbrotherson
August 6th, 2008, 18:09
LOOOOOOOL

The price you pay for ignorance...

RevVS
August 6th, 2008, 18:30
I'm guessing Mr. Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises used to be in car sales...

I mean, wow, on the price of ignorance but Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises is probably going to get probed on promoting piracy too...

I mean games "free of charge"?C'mon...

AngelicLiver
August 6th, 2008, 18:52
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2486/facepalm4tn4.jpg

Once again I'm astounded by the stupidity of my fellow man, I really don't know what else to say... She should of just walked away the second the price was mentioned.

JKKDARK
August 6th, 2008, 19:04
LOL, poor woman. She was owned really, but it happens when you don't know anything.

Ennohex
August 6th, 2008, 19:24
Always research a purchase. You'll be surprised how far prices can drop when you know more about the product than the salesperson.

Stone Temple Pilots
August 6th, 2008, 20:01
I feel bad for her. That sucks so much. I agree it was technically her fault but I hate scumbags like the salesperson.

cal360
August 6th, 2008, 20:51
I find this horrible that such a person could of taken advantage of her so much because of her lack of knowladge. He really needs to feel greatly ashamed of himself and pay back the money that he overchrged her completely. If he was a DCemu user I would banish him straight away.

carlitx
August 6th, 2008, 20:52
wtf? idiots....... human kind does deserve to be eradicated.

Buddy4point0
August 6th, 2008, 20:55
wow...
$2,600 for a homebrew PSP.
That SUCKKSSS.

masterchief929
August 6th, 2008, 20:58
http://www.ombwatch.org/budget/disappointed.jpg
your kidding me right? that is one stupid lady.

Shrygue
August 6th, 2008, 22:38
BLASPHEMY! $2,600 [£1,335] for a PSP is a total joke! Total ripoff that, PSP's come far cheaper at $170 or so. Someone forgot to do some research on price, sure the person got a massive refund but $1,000 is still far too much.

noname1
August 6th, 2008, 22:48
I would walk away or i would distract the shopkeeper so he would look away and i run away and hoping that he shouldn't sue me.

juiceface
August 6th, 2008, 23:45
He then offered reduce it further to $2,610, saying that he wouldn't include anti-virus software

Antivirus for the PSP? poor lady :(

mike_jmg
August 7th, 2008, 00:16
man!, ignorance blows

there are no words to describe this

slik da relic
August 7th, 2008, 00:53
"I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell
I am a hustler baby, I'll sell water to a well" Jay Z "U Dont Know"

da relic

LilSwish722
August 7th, 2008, 03:32
...What the...Wow. Stupid people. Wow.

oooooomonkeys
August 7th, 2008, 09:31
this is one of the crazy'st news storys i read on dcemu so far lol some people are just after your cash.

Accordion
August 7th, 2008, 11:15
http://www.larose.com/upimages/Happy_Face_Mug.JPG

I feel sorry for her, but that salesperson was brilliant.

Drego
August 7th, 2008, 13:45
I hear this story a lot. Most people are ignorant of technology. but to be honest, that salesperson has the right idea to exploit people. It isn't technically a crime to exploit people ignorance, just makes you wish you thought of that first :-P

titch.ryan
August 7th, 2008, 18:11
LOL.. thats one awesome sales person. wtf software licences and antivirus for psp. they probably just had a load of ISOs of the internet haha.

devdj
August 7th, 2008, 18:14
ha women these days they pay more for clothes then they do for any other product especialy when the product here is an electronic device they haven't the slightiest clue when it cums to buying things like this and thats the reason there so easily conned into buying a psp for over a grand who in there right mind would buy a psp for the much i only paid a bare minimum of €260 for my psp phat and €160 for my slim and that money was all from the dole so i say ha this electronic noob buyer got pwned and screwed

jamotto
August 7th, 2008, 18:37
Yeow Tat Trading Enterprises is not really the most upstanding company anyways.

kevintrooper
August 7th, 2008, 20:46
ha women these days they pay more for clothes then they do for any other product especialy when the product here is an electronic device they haven't the slightiest clue when it cums to buying things like this and thats the reason there so easily conned into buying a psp for over a grand who in there right mind would buy a psp for the much i only paid a bare minimum of €260 for my psp phat and €160 for my slim and that money was all from the dole so i say ha this electronic noob buyer got pwned and screwed

260 FOR A PHAT? WHAT?

maxipower90
August 8th, 2008, 01:13
im so glad haha thats what you get for being stupid

that sales man is one of a kind :thumbup:thumbs up to him

qu0n
August 8th, 2008, 06:25
SMH....This is what happens when you have too much money and not enough smarts. I mean she could have got a PS3 a Wii a 360 and a TV for 2,600. lol@him telling her that "the other shops" are selling unlicensed software. She should have done her homework

animekid4
August 8th, 2008, 13:35
Does google mean anything anymore.....couldnt she have just waited.......did she really believe a freaking psp would be 3 grand....omg