PDA

View Full Version : PSP Headset on November 8?

wraggster
October 29th, 2005, 17:35
Source - Gizmodo (http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/psp-headset-on-november-8-133964.php)

Funny thing I noticed while testing an early build of SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Fire Team Bravo for the PSP. In the multiplayer mode there is this neat little headset icon in the upper right hand corner. Sony has been threatening a microphone-enabled headset for the PSP since day one. And they introduced the PS2’s headset when SOCOM came out for that platform. Who wants to bet me that Sony is announcing a PSP headset when SOCOM comes out for the PSP on November 8?

Shiaoran
October 29th, 2005, 19:49
I bet it'll come with SOCOM and I bet it'll be near useless for other games, just like in PS2 :P
but it would be great if it worked with messengers, PSP would be a celphone

iball
October 29th, 2005, 20:46
Great....now I get to hear "YOU GOT PWND!" every 5 seconds whilst playing SOCOM.

Now for the homebrew crews to get hopping on an infrastructure "phone" program. HA!
Or Skype could get with Sony and code up a Skype client for the PSP. Would eliminate having to purchase a cordless Skype-compatible phone, but wouldn't be as easy to use.

Zaibach333
October 29th, 2005, 21:31
this makes me want to look into running programs in the background of the psp. similar to a normal OS.
because we could make a program have an open wifi port all the time, with the ability to contact other psps, even when somebody is in a game. Kinda like a phone... or, doesn't the DS have some sortof chat thing without a mic. like that, with a mic, all the time.

at least, I wish

Virus
October 29th, 2005, 21:43
my imaination : PSP2 will have everythign know plus sms and phonecababilities.

iball
October 29th, 2005, 21:47
this makes me want to look into running programs in the background of the psp. similar to a normal OS.
because we could make a program have an open wifi port all the time, with the ability to contact other psps, even when somebody is in a game. Kinda like a phone... or, doesn't the DS have some sortof chat thing without a mic. like that, with a mic, all the time.

at least, I wish
Intriguing idea....I would wait to see what the ps2dev.org PSP coding community comes up with after the headset/mic is released.
I think Sony was sitting on the headset until a developer actually tackled coding voice into an infrastructure game. In other words, second verse same as the first. SOCOM introduced the headset/mic combo on the PS2 and it's Sony figured the first one was a success and are doing it again.
Of course I have a bad feeling that the mic code might actually be coded into either 2.0 or 2.5. I'm leaning towards 2.5 though since it introduced that video player feature and they might have rolled the mic code into 2.5 along with it. THat means....UPGRADE to play SOCOM. Remember, the beta did a firmware version check for 2.0, even though it was playable on 1.5 systems.
Of course, there was no voice or single player coding present in the beta, so that was a free ride there. I think the new SOCOM (and future releases) will be just like GTA and encrypted with 2.0. And since mic access would probably require kernel-mode access, give it up for now until someone finds a 2.0 kernel-mode exploit.
And I have no idea how well the PSP can handle "multitasking" like you are referring to. Hmmm...probably would depend on how memory management is handled, but I haven't bothered to look into it.

vincesecuricor2005
October 29th, 2005, 21:55
another harsh way of tryin to stop homebrew once again (if it turns out to be the case)

Zaibach333
October 29th, 2005, 22:11
you know, this multitasking thing reminds me of the psp OS itself. I know it may be against dcemu policy to be able to do this, but eventually.

I think somebody will be abble to reference all the hardware enough to make their own firmware update to a different operating system. containing the ability to run anything, even psp games.

most who are knowlegable of the task I'm suggesting would probably argue that one would require the source code from sony which would be illegal. but its not impossible to accomplish

iball
October 29th, 2005, 22:23
another harsh way of tryin to stop homebrew once again (if it turns out to be the case)
You have to look at it this way: the firmware coders see it as an "insult" to their coding abilities when exploits are found in their code. They also tend to be perfectionists and anything less-than-perfect irritates them. Also, if YOU were a Sony PSP firmware developer, would YOU want to be known for an easily-exploited firmware? Not if you were looking at both keeping your current job and eventually getting a new job.
It's also a Japanese-culture thing and thinking of working at Sony as working with your family. And you don't hang your family out to dry with sloppy firmware code.

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 00:11
never thought of it like that makes sense i suppose, u seem very knowlegeble on just about everything iball how comes ure quite new to these forums?, how the hell do you know all of this??? (ive read youre other posts on diff threads 2)

iball
October 30th, 2005, 00:45
never thought of it like that makes sense i suppose, u seem very knowlegeble on just about everything iball how comes ure quite new to these forums?, how the hell do you know all of this??? (ive read youre other posts on diff threads 2)
Because I read. A LOT. I experiment. A LOT. I detest asking too many questions when I can just figure out for myself how it works.
I'm a very logical person and have traveled the world, so I've seen many different cultures.
I've been sitting here just looking at the forums for months now, but only recently decided to sign up. I've already been banned from m-a-x-c-o-n-s-o-l-e for discussing how something works...odd when I didn't flame anyone or curse or anything like that, didn't post any links to "filez" either. This place and one other seems to be OK with just discussion (no links to illegals, etc.) and tends to have a mix of varying degrees of intelligence so I've just started to post.
I mostly got tired of seeing "GTA won't work on 1.5 due to special video encoding" posts all over the place and felt the need to correct them.
Plus wraggster seems to work his hiney off updating this place with info found from all over the nets, and I like that as well.
People tend to think Sony itself is just trying to stop homebrew, when that's just not true. Piracy, yes, homebrew no. Now, if someone had NOT found the flaw in 2.0 that allowed it to be downgraded where pirates could play ISOs, Sony would have probably left the "hole" alone, but the firmware coders saw the exploit to downgrade the firmware and allow for "stealing" with ISO loaders on 1.5 and decided to plug that sucker.
I also beta test software for a government organization and build servers and networks for a living for the same organization.

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 00:51
cool, and very logical (the homebrew explanation) hope you keep on these forums im always so keen to learn

iball
October 30th, 2005, 01:03
I wouldn't be surprised if in the next firmware update (3.0? 2.51?) Sony codes in recorder functions so people could start recording WAV files directly to the MS. Well, maybe not WAV, probably code in encoding support for "their" codec to add voice recording to the PSP.
Probably right before they release some sort of mini-mic attachment that plugs onto the bottom like the ones for the iPod do.
Ever notice how the headphone/remote/mic inputs look on the big iPods (3rd Gen)?
Pretty close to how they look on the PSP! I'm still not certain how they will implement voice-support via the mic. Looks like it will just record from one earphone or the other. If so, then there isn't really a need to buy their product. Just slap in regular headphone and talk into the earpiece for whichever side becomes the voice input.
Unless the game won't "recognize" and enable voice unless the three inputs next to the headphone jack are used to close a special circuit in the hardware that tells the game "hey! I've now got a voice mic installed!" and activates the code for voice support.
Worth exploring when SOCOM comes out. Also makes you wonder if the REAL reason that Gran Turismo Mobile was pushed back in order to encorporate voice support into the game? Or did the GTM coders have the code finished and decide to re-encode it all using 2.0 encryption so it wouldn't be pirated right off the bat? I think it's the latter, but I hope it's the former since otherwise people that own both consoles would just say "hey! Why do I need two copies of the exact same GAME?!?!"

Zaibach333
October 30th, 2005, 18:10

I wouldnt go that far at complimenting, it creates arogance.

besides, to anyone with programming knowledge in the market and has been keeping up to date with the psp scene could tell you what he's saying/predicting.

no offence, I have nothing to disagree with

vincesecuricor2005
October 30th, 2005, 22:46
but i aint a programmer and i aint up to date cos i waited for the uk release so to me it is interesting sorry fella

iball
October 30th, 2005, 23:13
I wouldnt go that far at complimenting, it creates arogance.

besides, to anyone with programming knowledge in the market and has been keeping up to date with the psp scene could tell you what he's saying/predicting.

no offence, I have nothing to disagree with
It's the "Arrogant Bastard Ale" I drink that makes me arrogant, not the compliments. ;)

But you're correct nonetheless. When you're in charge of "forecasting" new technologies for a big...umm...company, you learn to predict changes and patterns way out ahead of time so that proper coding and/or procedures can be implemented before the new technology "hits".

vincesecuricor2005
October 31st, 2005, 00:15
all this tech head talk is fizzin up my brains, (wonder who this big company is though) youve got me intrigued now

Zaibach333
October 31st, 2005, 05:56
oi, vincesecuricor, what is your job?

iBall is some big shot up there... not sure what his age is.

and I'm an uber youngin only working 2 years as a programmer for a small company