PDA

View Full Version : No serial port!

Giomancer
October 29th, 2005, 22:38
OK. My nice, shiny new computer doesn't have a serial port.

I'm being outbid left and right for the BBA.

The USB coder's cable has been dropped. :'(

So.. is it possible to connect the DC to the computer with the normal modem? I presume that it would be slow as hell, but I need something to do while I hunt down a BBA.

- Gio

edit: updated the subject. :)

Darksaviour69
October 29th, 2005, 22:53
i'm no coder, but i pretty sure that running code thought the modem has not happend yet (for development)

about the USB coder's cables: even thought they are not going to be made, they you can still get the plans for them and make them yourself.

+ there is also multi session cd ;)

quzar
October 29th, 2005, 23:26
it has happened, but we have no tcp/ip stack implementation for it.

Try using a combination of chankast and Itoldedo's DCemu for the time being.

You could also buy a serial port card. They usually only cost a few $ if you find it online or at some random tiny computer shop.

bender
October 30th, 2005, 00:41
You could also buy a serial port card.

Unless your computer is a laptop :p Very few laptops come actually with a serial port. Most big pc's mobos have it (yet) but seems that is something that is going to disappear in a few years :( . The parallel port is something that all computers have though. The problem of the serial port is basically that is too slow for data transfers between your custom devices, net,... is something outdated.

For a laptop, there're pcmcia cards with serial ports, but cost about 100€ here (much better a BBA). I don't know if are valid for pc<->dreamcast data transfers

Kamjin
October 30th, 2005, 06:22
You can also use a USB->Serial adapter they're usually about $10USD (cheapest soluton) I'm use one on my laptop to connect to the DC

quzar
October 30th, 2005, 07:33
o_O Kamjin is back!!!

Giomancer
October 30th, 2005, 08:38
about the USB coder's cables: even thought they are not going to be made, they you can still get the plans for them and make them yourself. I know.. I looked at it, but I'm not an electrical engineer, that's for sure. I'm not even a real programmer.. I'm just a business major. :p

+ there is also multi session cd ;)True.. pong can't take up that much space. :)

Most big pc's mobos have it (yet) but seems that is something that is going to disappear in a few years . The parallel port is something that all computers have though.Um.. heheh.. mine doesn't, now that I look again. I don't even have the normal VGA port for my monitor; I have DCI (DGI? I forget) ports instead. USB ports out the wazoo, though.

Try using a combination of chankast and Itoldedo's DCemu for the time being.Oddly, this was going to be what I was going to try a few days ago. For some reason I was worried about doing so, but at this late (0100 my time) hour, I have no idea what it was that bothered me. *shrug*

You can also use a USB->Serial adapter they're usually about $10USD (cheapest soluton) I'm use one on my laptop to connect to the DCI might do this, but the emulator thing sounds good if I can get it to work. :p

Thanks guys! :)

- Gio

Giomancer
October 30th, 2005, 20:44
who can tell me how to get dc_flash.bin and dc_bios.bin?
use dc-tool and a dc-pc serial cable to download it from your dreamcast.
Saw this and nearly died laughing at myself. :p

Well, Kamjin, looks like your way is the way to go after all!

I was thinking I should find an old laptop, (have a friend help me) install linux on it, and use that only for developing things. Well.. I can hold off on that for now, heh. I should wait and see how I do first. :p

- Gio

Kamjin
October 30th, 2005, 20:46
o_O Kamjin is back!!!
Hehe! I check up on the site quite often.. but it has been quite a while
since I last posted (Doing a couple courses at night) :)

Originally Posted by Kamujin
You can also use a USB->Serial adapter they're usually about $10USD (cheapest soluton) I'm use one on my laptop to connect to the DC

I might do this, but the emulator thing sounds good if I can get it to work.

The emulators are good for doing a quick tests, but the emu's are "picky" about the system if one doesn't work try a different version.

Eric
November 1st, 2005, 14:38
Hey kamjin hows it going buddy havent seen or heard from you in awhile.

Kamjin
November 2nd, 2005, 03:40
Hey kamjin hows it going buddy havent seen or heard from you in awhile.

Going well, just been like busy like #3LL lately, how you been doing?