PDA

View Full Version : Gears 2 to have 'family friendly' mode

Shrygue
August 6th, 2008, 20:33
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194708)

Gears of War 2 will ship with a 'family friendly' parental control option, which waters down the game's awesome, sorry harsh, language for our younger gamers.

According to MCV, the parental control option, when turned on, substitutes blood and violence for sparks, and moves all bad language.

Also planned for the girls and kids are new co-op options which let two players select different difficulty settings in the same game. That way the girlfriend can stroll through Casual while you scream and sprint head-first into Hardcore.

You can't blame Microsoft and Epic for putting the options in - just look at the amount of cash coming from the 'casual' games market. But are there really any parents out there that are going to be more comfortable putting their kids in front of Gears, if the blood's replaced with sparks?

masterchief929
August 6th, 2008, 20:40
thats pretty cool. that means that when my mom is with me i can put it on family friendly mode so she doesn't fuss at me and get angry for having such a violent game. :P

cal360
August 6th, 2008, 20:54
This seems a pretty good option, but as it's probably going to be labled an 18 anyway why bring down the gore? the age says it all unless it's for those that are squemish. The Co-op split difficulties seems amazing though and I'm intrested on how this is going to work.

Darksaviour69
August 7th, 2008, 12:03
I think the idea, is that if you wanted to let your kids to play the game you can make its more PG than 18. Neat idea I think

Accordion
August 7th, 2008, 12:48
A world where killing is family friendly… super!